Author Topic: Voigtländer Septon 50/2 on Nikon DSLR  (Read 3954 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Voigtländer Septon 50/2 on Nikon DSLR
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 08:27:02 »
I was on full manuel mode. Think it is the only way I could get D5200 to work with lenses/adapters with no contacts. So I used the histogram to check exposure. Sometimes it is quite nice to be in 100% control like in the old days. Z50 came yesterday. In the documentation for FTZ adapter they write that non-AI lenses are not compatible and they may destroy contacts. I can't see the reason for that as the difference between AI and non-AI lenses in general is not what is inside the adapter which could damage the contacts. Then they mention some very old lenses by name which is incompatible. But a non-AI 50/2 works as good as AI'ed version of same lens as I see it without having tried it out other than non-AI lenses mounts nicely. The body will not see any difference between the two. I have noticed a small black switch on the F-side of the adapter which is placed just outside the mount and can see if I mount a more modern lens like AFD 85/1.4 this switch will be activated. But no difference between older non-AI/AI. I assume that stop down exposure method is used for both types of old lenses like I do now with Septon on D5200 via an adapter.

I find it difficult to use live view. The sunlight can cause that it is difficult to see what it going on and I can hold camera more steady using optical finder. So look forward to use Z50.

Arri

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 08:33:20 »
The Septon is a gem, I call three of it my own and use it with the F4 and D700.
It is excellent for B&W use and I like the Bokeh of it.
BTW: all Voigtländer lenses for the Bessamatic sytem are good usable lenses, very interesting is the Zoomar 36-82 f/2.8
I love the lens destorsions of it :o

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:55 »
The Septon 50/2 is not bad.  The Color Ultron 50/1.8 is much much better.

Arri

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 08:56:00 »
This is an analouge cyanotype print copy of a digital image I made with the Septon lens. Self coated Fabriano water colour paper.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:06 »
very interesting is the Zoomar 36-82 f/2.8
I love the lens destorsions of it :o
Nice colours too?

Arri

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 09:35:41 »
Nice colours too?
For analouge film the colours nice, in digital use it has colour shifts. I use it in B&W only