Author Topic: Grüße aus Deutschland  (Read 2438 times)

madhatter

• NG Member
Grüße aus Deutschland
« on: March 05, 2020, 19:58:20 »
Greetings from Germany!

I found out about this forum today by accident...
I was interested a lot in photography for a while a few years ago, always a Nikon fan and collecting some of my personal favorite lenses and cameras. Started with a D70s and moving to the D2H I ended up shooting film only with my F2 Photomic that I had desired to own for a long time. In that time I have been active in a few forums like the Nikon Cafe, the original NikonGear and a few german groups.
Then the fascination faded, going through my digital photos got me asking if I was even good in this photography hobby at all and if it wasn't better to spent the time on other things...

A couple of weeks ago I bought a D3S on impulse and the 135mm DC Nikkor and went outside taking photos. I still don't know if I am wasting my time, but I am again enjoying it. And that's okay to me. ;) Maybe it would have been an option to move on to mirrorless at this point, but I wasn't thinking too much about this decission and I was happy to finally got a full frame camera (digital-wise).

Oh, and I came accross this forum by accident, because I was still using Bjørn's lens review pages as reference and was wondering what he is up to today and found a post on dpreview mentioning this forum on the interwebs.

Cheers,
Arvid

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Grüße aus Deutschland
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 20:29:42 »
Welcome to this nice space on the internet.
Taking pictures can as relaxing as fishing  ;)

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 08:03:43 »
Welcome Arvid! Or should I say welcome back!
I think you will find a wealth of knowledge here without the typical trolling that some other sites suffer from.
Have a good time and please don’t hesitate to share your photos!
Peter

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 08:40:36 »
Welcome, Arvid.

An interest in, and fascination with photography can easily be rekindled as you already have discovered. NG is a nice and friendly site and we are strict on members keeping to a civilised atmosphere on the forums. There are no advertising and no trolling. Basically membership is free, however we do appreciate members becoming Supporters by paying a small annual fee. Our  server is not running for free to put it that way.

On a tangential note, Bjørn is now Birna. In case you wondered. https://www.flickr.com/photos/132961550@N03/49609169246

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 14:27:51 »
Welcome, Arvid. This site definitely is a troll free refuge for sharing experience, know-how and camera work. The meetups make the site special too. Most of the people here know the others personally real worldly...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 20:01:17 »
Welcome Arvid. The D3s is a tremendous camera, and I really miss my D3 at every mention I read of one. Personally, I would say you made the right choice going for this camera over a mirrorless, even if many here would disagree. It's just a matter of how the camera fit's the hand and how incredibly nice the view through the D3 viewfinder is.

Years ago, back in art school, I chose to study photography. At the end of the first year I showed my interest, and I was invited to be in the room next to the fascilities darkroom the first day of the next semester.

I entered the room, and the professor was visibly disapointed. Not only was I the only student for that year, but as he kindly pointed out, photography clearly wasn't where my talent was.

I told him: "Those are my thoughts exactly, good Sir. I already know I can paint and make illustrations, but photography is a field where I really can learn new things"

Buddy

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 13:07:59 »
Welcome to NikonGear ;) Enjoy!
Erik Lund