Author Topic: March 2020  (Read 57054 times)

Jacques

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: March 2020
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2020, 18:30:00 »
Fons & Thomas, thanks for the reply, in the Uk there is a general lock down rule but as a nearly 74 year old with younger wife who is a type 1 insulin diabetic we received a supplementary message saying do not leave home as we are considered high risk. With the present strain on the health service we both feel it better if we do not put ourselves in a situation where we may need medical assistance when the resources are needed elsewhere.
A.Jacks

frankv

• NG Supporter
  • I'm in it for the music!
« Reply #481 on: March 29, 2020, 21:44:42 »
Isolation continued - due to my age I am not allowed to leave home even for essential items as in food so I am dependent on family and very good friends to shop on my behalf, fortunately family food choices are fairly straightforward therefore food shopping is limited to basic items, milk, bread, vegetables etc.
This image will probably exceed my monthly allowance but it is near the end of the month, following from my previous post this is another view of what I have as a form of enforced leisure activity for the next 10 weeks approx !

Ah, good old B&W 704's. You can at least enjoy some good music while in isolation. Good music fights boredom quite easily :-)
Frank Vevik

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #482 on: March 29, 2020, 21:50:40 »
March is a wintermonth where I live. This is from yesterday.

Snødrev by Asle Feten, on Flickr
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #483 on: March 29, 2020, 23:50:55 »
"you can concour with Øivind  now  :)"
Indeed, yes!

We do not have the cherry blossoms yet here though.  ;D  But last week weather was warmer here than many places in Europe. Now back to cool nice clear conditions as in the image. A colleague in Finland tipped me about this animated wind/weather map: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/patterson=-79.89,79.07,1137

Edit: Nice drifting snow, Asle, I can almost feel the wind. It sort of makes me want to be there, but watch out for avalanches!
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:20 »
We do not have the cherry blossoms yet here though.  ;D  But last week weather was warmer here than many places in Europe. Now back to cool nice clear conditions as in the image. A colleague in Finland tipped me about this animated wind/weather map: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/patterson=-79.89,79.07,1137

Thank you, Øivind, for the interesting link.  Stay safe!

Edit: Nice drifting snow, Asle, I can almost feel the wind. It sort of makes me want to be there, but watch out for avalanches!

Totally agree.  Nice image, Asle!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2020, 03:22:42 »
Fantastic wind map

is this live data ?

edit: it even has projections up to 6 days ahead
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #486 on: March 30, 2020, 10:50:59 »
Fantastic wind map

is this live data ?

edit: it even has projections up to 6 days ahead

Yes, I found that map really mesmerizing, I have caught myself just sitting and studying different regions for longer periods and wondering how conditions feels like at different  locations, how the mechanics of the weather systems works. I had not explored the different settings, thanks for pointing out the ability of forecasting.

Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #487 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:49 »
Today something more local: After a ski trip in nice clear weather, where I discovered that the SD card in the slot of the D500 was not there (time to get a card for the other slot  ::)  ), I got back to my cabin and at dusk discovered that this moose cow with two grown calves were hanging around in the area. She looked pretty relaxed here in spite of some dogs barking inside the neighbor cabin. I also think I heard someone were playing a flute, so may be that is what is making her happy and listening. (Head of one of the smaller ones behind her, seems to have lost some hair on its snout.)

Øivind Tøien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:42 »
Stuck inside now on beginning of third week, life isn't very exciting. However there are highlights (downlights too).

I all of a sudden found an XQD card that I had forgotten was lost a year ago, and am studying the footage acquired back then. Actually images were taken in March, 2019 on that card so I might present some here as "archeology finds", perhaps? All my current XQD cards are colour-coded (nail polish to the rescue) according to what camera they should be used in. This card was unmarked, so verifies its age.

After the exciting find of the XQD card it was only befitting Windows 10 on my main work station refused to play ball and amongst other stupid and odd behaviour drag-drop became non-functional and denied my moving any files :( :( Not much of a work station then. I spent the rest of the day trying to fix the issues to no avail. It just got worse. Probably I got hit in the aftermath of some faulty Windows updates of which there recently have been several I'm told. Oh well, I still had kept the Win7 installation thus put the old SSD back in and voilá all was well again.

I then used the resurrected machine to run quickly through a stack of UV images of Tussilago farfara Coltsfoot. An example is posted below. This spring flower appears like clockwork every year and is always reliable. Just like my UV-Nikkors.

Nikon D3200, Baader U filter, UV-Nikkor 105mm f/4.5 with extension to make 1.5X magnification, 2*800 Ws Broncolor studio flash, 41 image stack by Zerene, 100% crop.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #489 on: March 30, 2020, 15:55:44 »
Energy drink while practicing social distancing

Peter

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #490 on: March 30, 2020, 17:39:49 »
March 30

echo et narcissus

Z6 - 35mm f/1.4ai

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #491 on: March 30, 2020, 19:04:46 »
Not resized shot with the Z7 and the AF-S 300/4

To my calculations it is then a 1600mm shot ?  (Normal size 8256 pixels wide, now 1552)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #492 on: March 30, 2020, 19:05:51 »
March 30
echo et narcissus

Z6 - 35mm f/1.4ai
Very nice, Fons.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #493 on: March 30, 2020, 19:10:11 »
Not resized shot with the Z7 and the AF-S 300/4

To my calculations it is then a 1600mm shot ?  (Normal size 8256 pixels wide, now 1552)

It is a cropped shot from your 300mm lens.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #494 on: March 30, 2020, 19:20:11 »
It is a cropped shot from your 300mm lens.
Yes, I was looking for the correct words. Normally you would resize an image to the size of publication.  'Crop' can has a double meaning not?