Author Topic: Marsa Alam, Egypt, 2020  (Read 4050 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Marsa Alam, Egypt, 2020
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 23:16:56 »
Thomas Stelwag, it's always big fun to see you, too :)

Hi PeterN, unfortunately that's it for this year, flying back tomorrow.
I started using flash years ago, but the flash isn't that powerful on the AW-1, a joke in fact, and the refresh rate was so long. And on top of all that it had a lag when pressing the shutter, so I could never get anything right. It's enough that I aim blindly at the subjects underwater...
So I tried, 5fps and without flash and I do not see any difference in image quality. Hence, my success rate skyrocketed. Since I shoot RAW, white balance is not really a concern, but I have to admit the AW-1 does a good job on its own.
But, thanks for the tip, perhaps somebody on the forum will have an opportunity to try it out :)

We also had some fun in the pool...
I do not use the AW-1 that often, but it sure is loads of fun when i do!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 04:22:35 »
Thank you for your kind words, Øivind. I bet these waters are more comfortable than in your part of the world :)
Yes, I used the standard zoom, all at 11mm. I would immediately buy an AW-2 and I would treat myself to something wider for the occasion...

Thanks for clarifying. Water here in Alaska at this time of the year is called ice ;D - temperatures -25 to -40°C for the last two months with barely any breaks.

Obvisously the AW2 is not going to happen, but treat yourself anyway to a AW1 10mm + Olympus fisheye converter, a synergistic combination. Details and links in the AW1 review thread. Also look here for inspiration: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=7907.msg128232#msg128232
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:53 »
Amazing pool images as well, as always a great joy to see  8)
Erik Lund

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 10:54:02 »
Have a safe trip home! Great pool images!
Ølvind: thanks for the link. I enjoyed the photos and wish I had known before. My son and I visited Iceland a few months ago and we would have love to take the snorkelling trip!
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43:47 »
Thanks for clarifying. Water here in Alaska at this time of the year is called ice ;D - temperatures -25 to -40°C for the last two months with barely any breaks.

Obvisously the AW2 is not going to happen, but treat yourself anyway to a AW1 10mm + Olympus fisheye converter, a synergistic combination. Details and links in the AW1 review thread. Also look here for inspiration: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=7907.msg128232#msg128232

Øivind, I remember that wonderful thread of yours and the fish-eye images. I believe that Birna uses the same combination. Don't destroy my dreams, please, I want an AW-2 :)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 12:44:57 »
Thank you Erik and PeterN, pool images have also become a tradition. My kids still indulge me :)