Author Topic: Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS vs f3.5 AIS (or late AI) at moderate distance  (Read 2519 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hi all,

To those who have tried the lenses, how do they compare at the moderate distance let say of 3 to 5 meters?

Cheers,
Zang

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS vs f3.5 AIS (or late AI) at moderate distance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 20:27:22 »
I currently lack a copy of the 28/3.5 (late) to make a up-to-date comparison, but between the two lenses, the "sharpness" performance of a good copy of the 28/2.8 AiS is going to be hard to beat, especially if you need to shoot at wide open or other wider stops. The non-CRC Nikon 28's (early 3.5, earlier 2.8, late 3.5) all seem to follow a pattern of acceptable sharpness in the center that noticeably drops off towards the outer zones.  Stopping down helps, but does not completely eliminate the sharpness falloff.  The 28/2.8 AiS maintains the apparent center sharpness much further out to the edge of the frame. Others may have a different experience.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:17:18 »
Thanks Keith. I read about 28mm f2.8 being stellar at close focus but average at long distance. My guess is, for a wide angle lens, long distance means 3 meters and up :)

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 23:45:55 »
My copy of the 2.8 AiS is great at 1 foot, 1 meter, 10 meters. It develops a problem at infinity by rendering a blob of blur just to the left of center--roughly about ten percent of the frame.  But this is ONLY at infinity!  As soon as you pull the focus closer, like 50 meters, the blur zone goes away!  I checked a friend's copy and it behaved exactly the same.  Also, the 2.8 AiS is so sharp at the wider apertures that the slight softening by diffraction at the small apertures like f/11 and f/16 is quite noticeable.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:35:04 »
I have the 28mm f/3.5 K version that I got on recommendation from BR - I have no comparison to other models but I really like the shots I get with that lens

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:02:18 »
I have the 28mm f/3.5 K version that I got on recommendation from BR - I have no comparison to other models but I really like the shots I get with that lens
That's a great old lens.  Classic drawing of the image.