Author Topic: Camera Raw 12.2  (Read 2472 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Camera Raw 12.2
« on: February 19, 2020, 15:48:50 »
Pretty important update in Camera Raw and Lightroom. It is now possible to make (or assign) your own profile on opening of images. Basically that profile is a kind of automated program that will perform all the actions you always do in Raw. Like for instance lens profile or noise adaptions.

https://lightroomkillertips.com/february-2020-lightroom-classic-adobe-camera-raw-and-lightroom-cloud-updates/

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Camera Raw 12.2
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 17:04:25 »
These options are for Lightroom but not for Photoshop i think.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 17:07:14 »
These options are for Lightroom but not for Photoshop i think.
Adobe Camera Raw = Photoshop.

Already made/use a profile for opening NEFs. When you open a NEF Camera Raw will automatically start.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 17:11:13 »
I dont think so acr is the raw editor, acr does have some more profiles embedded thats what you mean i suppose. John.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 17:15:32 »
It influences everything you do in the RAW Editor

This You Tube explains a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mEWQqAhNSo&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=VhXeLO--nqd973rd%3A6

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 17:27:36 »
Not sure where these links are about, Fons?

A very  important update is still missing in Adobe Photoshop/Camera Raw.  How to eliminate the automatic Built-in Lens profiles for the Nikon Z- lenses, for instance.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 17:41:40 »
There is this quote from the article i mentioned the link,

As we already mentioned in the previous article “Forcing a Raw Converter to Render Tones Accurately”, most raw converters apply some hidden adjustments to a raw shot, often resulting in a bumped mid-tone, clipped highlights, and compressed shadows. This is done to make the shot look good, but can also lead to all sorts of confusion

Built-in: camera software is more and more taking over

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 18:19:26 »
There is this quote from the article i mentioned the link,

Built-in: camera software is more and more taking over
That is already the case with the translation to JPG. 

Good Raw Software should never take 'company' or lens - profiles into account and just deliver the 'RAW'.  Or give at least the option to switch it off.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 20:20:33 »
Personally, I virtually never shoot JPGs — with the single exception that I shoot a NEF and a JPG simultaneously  when using my CamRanger.
The JPG is used only for instant viewing on my laptop or on an iPad (particularly useful when working with a client) and is discarded after the shoot.

I make my own sets of Camera Profiles so I totally ignore in-camera picture controls (except for WB) or any commercial software's built-in Presets.

ACR does now let one make a personal Preset (so that all your RAW images will open in ACR using the settings which you have saved in your Preset).
Although that can save time, you will almost certainly still need to adjust the settings for each image individually when you open it in ACR.

Other Converters may also offer customization of the standard  Presets.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 20:29:42 »
Although that can save time, you will almost certainly still need to adjust the settings for each image individually when you open it in ACR.

Yes, that is logical when you shoot in raw.  And especially when you use a lot of different camera's and multiple lenses, it is necessary to have a special adjustment for each image.

Most time can be gained if you have large series with more or less identical lens/light situation. 

Anyway, it's a nice extra addition for easy installment of personal profiles.

ianwatson

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 22:27:11 »
Good Raw Software should never take 'company' or lens - profiles into account and just deliver the 'RAW'.  Or give at least the option to switch it off.

Amen to that, John. Such things should be no more than a tool that one is free to use or ignore.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 08:12:12 »
Thank you that's really a nice feature, we have been waiting for a long time for!
Erik Lund