Author Topic: New firmware for Z cameras.  (Read 4921 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: New firmware for Z cameras.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:41 »
Binary FW files are probably packed into an executable for a reason -- safety/checksum validating comes to mind. It would be a disaster if you upload a bad FW to your camera thereby bricking it..

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 13:16:30 »
Binary FW files are probably packed into an executable for a reason -- safety/checksum validating comes to mind. It would be a disaster if you upload a bad FW to your camera thereby bricking it..
Thanks Birna, yep there had to be a reason! I’m sure though that some manufacturers expand their bin files as they are downloaded! But now I can’t remember if that is so! Oh dear.
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 14:16:02 »

The FW file itself **hopefully** is already provided with a safety checksum... Relying on putting it into some sort of container would be bad practice.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 15:11:11 »
My guess is that the maker does this by intent not by whims or malpractice.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 15:22:45 »
My guess is that the maker does this by intent not by whims or malpractice.

The container can only *protect* the firmware file up to the moment it is downloaded on the computer. After that, the firmware file will be retrieved from the container and starts an unprotected life on its own.
In order to prevent damaged firmware files being installed, the camera needs to be able to get a security checksum from the bare firmware file itself.

My guess is that Nikon already adds a security checksum to firmware files, heck even better maybe they also sign it with a private key in order for the camera to check for authenticity (with the public key).

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 16:57:01 »
So far, the animal eye detect seems to work well when there is adequate light on the animal’s face.

It even deals with some interfering obstructions.

In any case, I got a lot more keepers with animal eye detect on.

Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner