Author Topic: Affordable recommended monitors  (Read 9459 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Affordable recommended monitors
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 23:47:41 »
Under Windows 10, one can set a different text scaling for each application. No idea how this works on the Macs.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 01:42:42 »
Sounds like the perfect solution.

If it does exist on a Mac, I have yet to discover where to find it.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 10:28:09 »
This discussion has met and exceeded all my personal concerns; anticipating questions and providing answers faster then the speed-of-thought. ("Haptic" -- thanx Birna. I nearly wet myself when I read that... :D) In all seriousness, the best thread addressing practical remedies I've happened upon in a long time.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 13:14:19 »
Thank you Ann, for singing praise on the Benq Monitor with hardware calibration. I guess I will follow your thoughtful recommodation as soon as my old monitor needs to be replaced
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 18:33:06 »
If it's any encouragement, that BenQ costs just 0.0006% of Apple's new "Best Monitor Ever" masterpiece monitor — and the BenQ price includes its excellent stand while Apple's stand is an additional $1000!!!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 08:24:06 »
Must say that the only thing missing in the BenQ SW2700PT 27" is the 4K,,, if you can live without that it's the best colors for the money!Otherwise the 4K BenQ SW271 27" looks amazing  8)
Erik Lund

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 15:01:23 »
Thanks again for everyone's comments.

The BenQ SW2700PT 27" is within budget, but Mr Amazon wants almost twice the price for the 4k version, so I will live with "vanilla" and maybe spend the difference on a visit to Norway :)

The money needed for some of the higher spec options will I'm afraid be earmarked for another visit to Costa Rica,  or a deposit on the 500mm PF ! That's not to say i don't appreciate I'll have missed out on some features but i know Ann and others will understand how I've balanced my priorities.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 18:12:54 »
Thanks again for everyone's comments.

The BenQ SW2700PT 27" is within budget, but Mr Amazon wants almost twice the price for the 4k version, so I will live with "vanilla" and maybe spend the difference on a visit to Norway :)

The money needed for some of the higher spec options will I'm afraid be earmarked for another visit to Costa Rica,  or a deposit on the 500mm PF ! That's not to say i don't appreciate I'll have missed out on some features but i know Ann and others will understand how I've balanced my priorities.

It also includes some unmentioned future proofing or USB C, with it's USB 3.1 and 3.2 gen 1 porting. Then, if one wishes to take advantage of the faster speeds of USB 3.1 and 3.2 gen 1, there's the steep rise in the cost of cables required to allow those speeds. Just having the ports isn't enough, you also need faster ables. Of course the ports are backward compatible with slower cables, you just won't get the faster speeds without faster cables.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 23:09:22 »
You definitely need modern cables but the monitor comes with a complete set of them.

Because my Mac Pro lives in a kennel under my desk, and my cables snake though a congested hole which is cut through the desk-top, I thought that I could save time and effort by merely re-using the older cables from my NEC which were already in place.

BIG mistake — the monitor wouldn't even run.

BenQ's manual does emphasize the importance of using their own provided cables and once I did exactly that . . . BINGO!!

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2020, 23:16:39 »
Colin:

If you use software with panels that contain text which you need to be able to SEE, you may be very happy that you didn't pay extra for 4K?!

I find that the 2K on my  BenQ SW2700PT 27" monitor is absolutely fine!

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2020, 12:18:45 »
Thanks Carl and Ann

(Ann, I was waiting for you to start reminiscing about your trip to Costa Rica....!)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2020, 17:46:11 »
Colin:

Costa Rica  was a truly fabulous experience and is one which I intend to repeat.

However, I have just received an invitation (a few minutes ago!) to go to Brazil and the Amazon so now I am seriously torn between doing that — or acquiring a D6!

Trouble is, I want to do both!!
 ::)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2020, 18:41:38 »
Colin:

Costa Rica  was a truly fabulous experience and is one which I intend to repeat.

However, I have just received an invitation (a few minutes ago!) to go to Brazil and the Amazon so now I am seriously torn between doing that — or acquiring a D6!

Trouble is, I want to do both!!
 ::)

I am quite sure that we would all love to see what you and a D6 would do with the Amazon!  8)
Carl

Severums

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 17:26:47 »
BenQ GW2765HT LED IPS 27 inch is worth a look

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 18:17:56 »
I ended up buying
BenQ Designer PD2700U 27" 3840 x 2160 4K sRGB
and very happy with the performance with it on an ThinkPad W540
Don't know if I will be able to run it in 10 bit, i'll find out ;) so far it's 8 bit only
Erik Lund