Author Topic: [Theme] Churches & Cathedrals  (Read 8202 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: [Theme] Churches & Cathedrals
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2021, 20:04:18 »
Bologna, St.Francis Basilica at sunset

The front appears massive, but you can see the sky through  the rosettes. Actual basilica is leaner...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2021, 23:38:13 »
Iconic that Dom tower and church. Excellent viewpoint John.
Thanks Luc.    A kind of Dutch trademark ;)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2021, 08:21:09 »
Sarlat-la-Canéda, Périgord

12 pic V pano, an impossible perspective (more mending required, I was lazy...)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2021, 19:37:59 »
San Zaccaria, Venice

Today is the 1600th birthday of the city of Venezia (conventionally inaugurated on 25 March 421).

Venice has 120+ churches, and I have several thousand photos of most of them, so here's one, not very far (200 meters) from Basilica di San Marco.

It's a 4-pic horizontal pano, with camera in portrait mode.

Ciao from Massimo

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2021, 20:40:46 »
Dom, Trier, Germany

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2021, 18:37:33 »
1992 church architecture.
Added a few - closer from the outside in dull light. Closed so no shot for the organ thread this time.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 07:51:25 »
Remarkable, Lars.  That looks like a barn.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2021, 18:02:29 »
Thanks, John - very minimalistic and I was also surprised to learn it's a church. I'll see if I someday can get some shots from the front and inside - there must be an organ inside somewhere  :)   

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2021, 22:06:54 »
National Cathedral, Washington DC. People waiting for a tour.

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2022, 17:04:14 »
Munich, St. Lukas Church (near the Isar river), as given as protestant church, build in the beginning of 1900. The inner hall. Arranged with the d850+pc19. Complete image build out of 4 shots, while doing the objektive shifting from the left to the right side, camera set up on a tripod, horizontal setup (The camera was on the trip, not the lens). It was meant ot do some test. bye bye. richard
  the full image. https://malus.exotica.org.uk/~zeg/nixnix/Muelukashallez062021st99.jpg

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2022, 18:37:48 »
Two small churches with a history. Højerup old church (from around 1250) and Højerup new church (from 1913) - the latter was built about 150 meters longer in-land to replace the old church. The churches are close to Stevns Klint (a chalk cliff) and the old church have not been used since 1910 due to erosion and is now located at the edge of the cliff - in 1928 the church lost the choir when part of the cliff collapsed and ended 30 meters below along with the alter, gravestones, coffins and bones :o The erosion had started taking parts of the church yard in the 1600s. 

Stevns chalk cliff is UNESCO world heritage - Wiki quote: "it is of geological importance as one of the best exposed Cretaceous-Tertiary boundaries in the world.".

1, 2 and 3: old church, church wall towards the sea and part of the cliff.
4 and 5: new church and a memorial stone for the Halifax II DT620 airmen crew that was shot down in March 1943 about 1000 meters away over the Baltic Sea.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to walk down to sea level and get a better view and images of the cliff and church.     

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2022, 06:06:21 »
Lars - thanks for these images and stories behind them.  The last image tells a story of its own.  Squadron 138.
Hugh Gunn

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2022, 16:19:00 »
Lars - thanks for these images and stories behind them.  The last image tells a story of its own.  Squadron 138.

Many thanks Hugh - glad you liked the stories. The church images themselves are rather average and it's their story that was the main reason I posted them.
The last one however does tell a story of its own as you say, and I like that the memorial stone has been placed where many people visit, but also because Højerup (and Stevns in general) has a separate military history.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2022, 22:45:41 »
These were all found in Ludlow Church (Shropshire,  UK)
The decorated parts in #2 & 3 swing down to form the seat of these choristers' cubicles.
Taken on Pixel mobile phone