Author Topic: Marrakesh red city  (Read 5110 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: Marrakesh red city
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 05:03:34 »
Thomas, superb series.  I do not feel I need to go to Marrakesh now but you have really activated my Wanderlust .  Zanzibar is back in the running , closer and easier ;) .   Many thanks for sharing.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 07:43:33 »
Just wonderful travel series!
Such nice light - Wow
Looks like someone needed go back to the bamboo,,, to scratch away some initials or names  ::) ;D
Forget the snake and kiss your girlfriend  :-* Enjoy your trip 8)
Erik Lund

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 10:42:45 »
Tom thank you for commenting,  from here KLM is regularly flying to Sansibar, please let us know when you´re going

Erik, you are a brave man, reading all and following up. Thanks a lot for your nice comments.

Light and silhouettes are great, one should go there with some photogs, tripod and time to stay at one place as long as necessary...
Thomas Stellwag

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 19:55:00 »
Amazing series, Thomas !
Marrakech is on my wish list, and your images are waking up something on me... the pleasure to travel and know new people, new horizons, different life style !

Just a comment about Zanzibar : I went there few decades ago, before the tourism business invaded this remarkable place...So, so nice and interesting place at the time. I was said that is now a very popular destination, so that means : crowd everywhere, probably high prices of restaurants and food/accommodation, but probably still interesting destination... ::)

Thank for sharing ! ;),
Francis.

Francis Devrainne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 05:10:25 »
Thomas,   Zanzibar has been on my list since I was 8 years old and an avid NatGeo reader.  I made a list of the 100 places in the world I want to travel to. Of course it was a different world in the early 1950's  :( .  Not sure if I will travel with my wife or solo and there are a couple of other places under consideration.  I would be interested in staying in Stone Town shooting people/Street/Culture.   Coming from Goa, beaches, resorts, island hopping do not interest me.

I can fly Goa-Muscat-Zanzibar with a cool, free/cheap two day stop in Oman.   Looking at Jun/July but trying to get better info on timing.   If it moves to a definite plan I will PM you.   I would probably skip hitting Game Parks in Tanzania since I have lived in Kenya for awhile and have been to Dar,  Also means I can travel much lighter  :) .  My wife is also cool with travelling light and happy with sitting in Cafes and watching the world.   We both like interesting Bars with interesting people (she does like some Drink) .

Francis, many thanks.   I rarely re-visit places from 40+ years ago.   I have done a few and seems all have changed too much for me and my memories.   I would not have anything to judge Zanzibar by.   I do try and plan for low seasons and I am even used to Monsoons from living in several places with Monsoon seasons but not too sure about the "Long Rains" .    Some health issues so my food and drink requirements are cheap  ;D .
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 10:08:26 »
Francis thanks for looking and commenting. Hope you will get there soon, waiting for your pictures  :)

Tom and Francis,  thanks for your further info about Sansibar.
Thomas Stellwag

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 19:22:02 »
Thomas, thank you for lots of following images.  It is intriguing to brows through them!  The bamboos in Marrakesh are unexpected.  Vandalism is ubiquitous...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 22:29:06 »
Akira. thank your for commenting.

I see your point about about vandalism. This carving of names is common in Europe, mostly into trees from people in love,
but I never saw it before in the plants of a botanic garden
Thomas Stellwag

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 16:14:40 »
Well Thomas, the Zanzibar trip is on hold to see how the virus thing plays out.   My wife was supposed to fly to UK at the end of this month to visit her unwell, elderly mum.  Not only can she not take a chance of even giving her a cold, but some unknown virus  >:( .  she has delayed trip until summer.   The real bummer would be to be stuck in quarantine  somewhere due to having been through some zone.   Qatar will allow people transit but Indians(and orhers) cannot fly to Qatar as a destination.   Oman may follow with restrictions not to mention a small place such a Zanzibar.   Following all  :)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India