Author Topic: Marrakesh red city  (Read 5111 times)

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Marrakesh red city
« on: January 19, 2020, 23:20:30 »
having been there some days ago, I want to share first impressions of red buildings

Thomas Stellwag

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Marrakesh red city
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:19 »
Awesome, please keep sharing your images
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 07:39:12 »
I can even feel the heat, Thank you!
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:56 »
Are the palm trees supporting the buildings?
Warm photos indeed :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:21 »
I like the way you capture Marrakesh of "today" in a recollected way which inspires viewers' own interpretations.

Thank you for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:11 »
Awesome, please keep sharing your images
+1

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 09:56:31 »
It is a pity that these small jpg's don't do justice at all to the Leica M10 (assuming all pictures are M10, not only the last)...

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 14:17:22 »
thanks to all for looking and commenting

@ Armando: such a comment from on of our top travel photographers - wow
@ Erik: the contrast from low sun makes it look hotter than it was, 23- 25° only in the sun
@ Jakov: no the trees are independant of the buildings. You find even brand new buildings made around existing trees, means curvy walls
@ Akira: this is all not far from or inside Medina. The brand new areas for the rich are outside, closed with fences and taking water from the lines for old town
@ Bent: will show some with more people then
@ Eddie: my Nikon is much better in catching high contrast scenes, reason for the M was very limited space, body 28, 50, 75mm and to be unobstrusive (2nd didnt work)
Thomas Stellwag

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 21:05:06 »
here are some pictures about traffic/travel possibilities
they are not agressive drivers, you always feel sure on the road as long as you keep your direction and speed. Stop for pedestrians is normal. Most used is a 50cc Yamaha motor bike, nearly no other brand to be seen. Scooters from cheap brands all around, trikes mostly from Docker (China). Renault did a good job as Taxi means Dacia. Some bicycles, a lot of donkeys with single axe carts, horse carts for tourists inside the town and camels for camels outside town town
inside Medina  cars can drive  only directly at the wall gates, in the souks (old market) you only find donkeys and Yamahas
Thomas Stellwag

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:49:50 »
Super  ;D Thank you for the transportation overview  8) You really covered it! Some great, some funny the whole lot just unbelievable different to my part of the world  :o
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 15:34:05 »
I enjoy the diversity of the transporters!  Thank you for the additional images.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 20:17:55 »
Lovely series, Thomas.  Especially the 'transportation' is very enjoyable ;)

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 20:26:45 »
Erik, Akira and John,  thanks for your comments

It is really a special experience to see all those travel methods in numbers on the road. I remember in the first years after the East border opened, I met numerous charts pulled by horses, cows and donkeys in the Eastern countries. But they dissapeared from the main roads and cities in the first 10 years, beeing seen today only in very rural areas.
Thomas Stellwag

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 20:46:30 »
now I want to bring attention to Jardin Majorelle, where as well the Yves Saint Laurent museum is located.
The collection of cacti and bamboo is impressive, even in winter time it was difficult to find a space to take pictures without a selfie stick of a mobile was held into your view
For me especially the carving of names and hearts into the bamboo and cacti was surprising. The garden is private owned.
Thomas Stellwag

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 21:32:36 »
I want to finish this report with some pictures around the big place "Djemaa el Fna" and the last of our street which we always had to find before finding the small entering alley to the smaller  access alley ouf our riad...a difficult task.  That might explain why there is no alcohol available. There are no street names in the center of the Medina, only people who want to help you for a lot of money.
Similiar to photography, everywhere you find sign "photography forbidden", what means pay first and then see us smiling. The people over there understand basic expressions in many languages and know the answer to them. At the big place my girlfriend said to me she wants to see a snake charmer...30 sec later I had a 1.5m long black snake around my neck and was told to be friendly to the animal. It would increase my health if i kiss it. I had totally different impression of the situation.  >:(
Thomas Stellwag