Author Topic: D3s autofocus  (Read 3369 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
D3s autofocus
« on: January 11, 2020, 15:09:50 »
A general question:  I have  D3s body in very good condition and low shutter count (around 12k) but the AF has a severe backfocus issue that can not be corrected with the fine adjustments. Even -20 in general camera in addition with -20 in lens profile can not always fix it.
  Is it vey expensive to have it calibrated or replaced if needed? A ballpark figure will be enough.

Thank you in advance!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: D3s autofocus
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 15:35:49 »
Wow Paco  that is low miliage  ;) :) .  I sold mine with 195K.
No idea of price  but a question , has it always been that way?
Sounds like it has taken a knock and something out of alignment.
My service manager has left Nikon India and changed his mobile number otherwise I would give him a call.
All the best getting it sorted
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 17:23:05 »
Sounds like a misalingment due to an accident. Possibly the bayonet does not sit in the original position anymore. I once had this with my D3 and Nikon did exchange the bayonet. It was not expensive, less thank 100€. Go to Nikon, get a quote.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 20:51:50 »
Thank you both. Going to nikon is definitely the thing to do but is the weekend here, I just got my hands on the camara and official services will not respond until monday.
  This is my first ever "one digit" nikon. Always wanted one    :)  It ceels sooo good

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 05:41:17 »
Ah Paco, so you do not know the history of the camera.   One quick check is to mount a D lens and see if it will AF.    If not the mount is deformed which, with that body, means the body could also be bent out of shape  ;) .  That would make it more expensive to repair.   Great camera and hated to sell mine but I was not using it as much as when I was shooting lots of Sport.   Get it to Nikon and see what they say.
Hope it is simple and CHEAP (ish).
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:38:49 »
Scary thought. I monted  a D lens and it focused fast with no problem. I'm going to try to speak today with Nikon service.
Thaks Tom

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 09:14:00 »
Ah Paco, so you do not know the history of the camera.   One quick check is to mount a D lens and see if it will AF.    If not the mount is deformed which, with that body, means the body could also be bent out of shape  ;) .  That would make it more expensive to repair.   Great camera and hated to sell mine but I was not using it as much as when I was shooting lots of Sport.   Get it to Nikon and see what they say.
Hope it is simple and CHEAP (ish).
Tom
Sounds a bit dark these predictions  :o A body bend out of shape,,, wow,,, would leave some huge marks from such an impact, also would make the body visually crack open, since the casting is super hard/brittle,,,Sure the mount can de off from small/big bumps but that is usually quite obvius if you take a close look ;)
Most likely the sub mirror or the AF module is slightly off, but really you need Nikon Service to look at it.Good luck and enjoy this Iconic camera, the first real full frame Nikon DSLR - I loved mine.
BTW what is this fault finding using a D lens,,, why would that indicate anything except the screw af motor ?
Erik Lund

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:30:53 »
Well Eric, I am looking at my D300s at the moment.  It , with 500 f4G, TC1.4 went over on tripod sometime back.   TC was a write off, 500 f4 needed new mount and the aperture level on the body was inoperable.  I could see camera mount slightly bent.   Nikon put new mount ring assembly on the body but the lever would not move and return freely .  Nikon said that the body around the mount was slightly bent and it meant new body (?).   Works with afs lenses not 85 1,4D or any D.  Mount assembly for D700 , D300 and D300s no longer available from Nikon India.   Not trying to be alarmist  :) .   I will be very interested in what Paco hears from Nikon.   There are also some threads about the net on parts for D3S not being available after July 2018.  Hopefully Paco just needs realignment of AF module or mirror box.

I am not a camera tech so believe what I am told by the service manager (known to me for quite some time at that point) .
Apologies to all.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 15:06:59 »
The previous owner is willing to take the camera back for a full refound or I'm free to persue the fixing on my own. I really love how the d3s feels in my hand. I have to decide.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 17:48:00 »
Best get a fully working one then!  ;)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 19:00:59 »
The previous owner is willing to take the camera back for a full refound or I'm free to persue the fixing on my own. I really love how the d3s feels in my hand. I have to decide.

My personal experience is that my D500 equipped with the original grip runs circles around my D3 in every respect: ergonomics, speed, sound, ISO performance, AF, Display, Viewfinder. There is only one feature I need the D850 for: full frame.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 19:59:50 »
Decided. Is going back tomorrow. It was such a sweet deal and it fits my hands so well :P