Author Topic: Zeiss Planar 45/2 transplant  (Read 5820 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Zeiss Planar 45/2 transplant
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:05 »
Interesting project, looking forward to see images from the resulting setup.
It certainly gives thought for other projects  :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 14:02:46 »
Looks good so far, always better to have a little too much clearnce rather than too little  ;D Great progress!
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 19:42:10 »
Interesting project, looking forward to see images from the resulting setup.
It certainly gives thought for other projects  :)
Happy you find it interesting. I am curious to see the finished lens too.

However, I have to find another donor lens. I don't know what happened, but after I press-fit the Contax Zeiss outer helicoid into the Topcor inner helicoid, I could not get the Topcor helicoid back into the Topcor outer helicoid. Maybe the press-fit led to an expansion or I otherwise messed up the thread. I will have to try with another one (luckily they are abundant and cheap) and proceed more cautiously next time.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 02:08:08 »
Watching the process with much interest, Simone!

Hope you can sort out the causes of the problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:08:53 »
I now have a working prototype. The lens focuses to infinity (easy to calibrate this using the old and the donor helicoid together) and down to about half a meter as designed, but aperture control is not very nice. I‘m using a stack of step up/down rings to hold the aperture ring until I figure out a better way. First test shots and a more detailed explanation of the mod will follow.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:25 »
Congratulations on getting it to work! Very well done ;)
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 12:11:15 »
More details about the mod:
1) I bought a cheap Topcor 53/2 lens. 50/2 should work as well, but I managed to screw up (pun intended) the helicoid of the lens I first bought (see posts above), so I had to shop for another one which turned out to be 53mm. The focus ring looks a bit cheaper in the 53mm though, so I would recommend a 50mm if you can find one.
Remove the optical assembly and all the aperture and bayonet locking mechanisms (springs, screws and levers). Remove both helicoids and mark their separation points.
Clean and set aside the helicoids for later.
2) I bought a cheap Fotasy M39-Nikon Z adapter. I removed the 2.5mm set screws that hold the M39 threaded insert and took out the insert. I then drilled and tapped the holes for M3 in order to use longer M3 set screws with pointed conical tip. After removing a hair of the inner diameter of the adapter with a rounded file, the Topcor rear shroud fits inside the Fotasy adapter. Position the two parts correctly, check for planarity with a micrometer, and then use a 2,5mm drillbit to make small conical holes in the Topcor rear shroud, aligned with the M3 holes in the Fotasy adapter. The M3 set screws will bite into those, holding the two parts together.
3) Remove the Topcor rear shroud. Use a Dremel cutoff wheel or similar to cut off the rearmost section of the shroud flush. It should look like this:

After putting it back into the Nikon Z mount, it will look like this:

Like this the rear shroud will not vignette. However, the shinyness of the cut surface is not ideal. At a later stage I will paint it black. Any suggestions on which paint to use?
4) Cut off the rear part of the Contax Zeiss 45/2 outer helicoid. Use a small file to remove a bit of material around the outer diameter. Here I did one pass:

Remove just as much as you need in order to be able to press it into the Topcor inner helicoid without excessive force (I used my hand and a few light taps with a mallet. Do not use more force as I suspect it might deform the helicoid (anyway, this is my only explanation for how I screwed up the previous one, where I used a vise to press in the part without having first removed a bit of material).
5) After re-greasing the topcor helicoids and reassembling them, the Zeiss inner helicoid can be screwed into the Topcor inner helicoid (with its new insert). Place the optical assembly:

Be sure to use a micrometer or caliper to check the planarity of the setup at each stage of assembly (both of two parts that are mounted together, as well as cumulatively, i.e. relative to the Nikon Z bayonet mount).
6) The whole rig can now be mounted onto the camera for infinity calibration.
Leave some leeway in the Topcor outer helicoid for later calibration by using the position of the focus ring before drilling some holes or using epoxy to permanently secure the Zeiss inner helicoid to the Topcor inner helicoid.

The front part of the lens is currently not finished. The 53mm lens focus ring has a 55mm thread, into which I can screw 55-58, 58-55, 55-52, and 52-55mm step-up/down rings. The Zeiss aperture ring sits in this stack and is being gripped by the rings. I can thus control the aperture. The main reason for putting this temporary solution is to prevent dirt from getting into the helicoid, which is otherwise exposed. The Zeiss front section (into which the front bezel is screwed) fits snugly in the 52mm ring, almost sealing off the whole lens. However, the aperture ring now rotates along with the focus ring, which is of course not very efficient in use. Finding a permanent and workable solution for the front will be the most challenging part, getting the lens to focus correctly was actually easier than expected!

To be continued...
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 12:24:44 »
Congratulations on getting it to work! Very well done ;)
Thanks! It was a good learning experience.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 16:10:48 »
and
did you take photos with the setup?
was it worth the effort?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 17:36:52 »
So far I only have a few test shots. The lens has a good reputation but I think such a conversion is only worth it if you have the lens sitting around unused as I did, and cannot sell it because it is broken. There are plenty of normal lenses. This one stands out because of its small size. I would guess that the Loxia 50/2 Planar could be a good alternative.

The lens produces nice and contrasty images. Around f/8 (don't have an aperture scale yet so I don't know precisely).

Focused at infinity at f/2.
The lower part of the image is less sharp than the upper one. I will have to slightly tilt the optical assembly in order to correct this.

center crop:

corner crop:

Close to MFD at f/2. Bokeh is pleasant for my taste and quite unusual in its combination of smoothness and distinct edges. It reminds me of my Distagon 35/2 ZF.

Closed down, the lens produces beautiful 6-pointed stars. This shot is at f/16 (minimum aperture). I will post another one with a proper sun as soon as I get an opportunity.
Sensor reflections are visible. I expect this aspect to improve somewhat after I will have painted or flocked the rear shiny parts of the lens.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 18:16:15 »
Two more samples wide open. I do not find any faults with this lens, nice rendering and sharp across the frame.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 23:49:48 »
After a bit of milling, drilling, and filing, I now have a working inner barrel with aperture ring, made from the original Contax lens parts. The clicks are still missing.
I went back to the silver focusing ring from the Topcor 50/2, but since I‘m using the helicoid from the 53/2, I had to drill new holes for the set screws holding the focusing ring and helicoid together. I have to get shorter screws for that, though.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 00:05:37 »
The rear of the lens after spray painting.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 00:36:09 »
Simone, this is an amazing job!  The lens looks like a real "product"!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 09:38:55 »
Sure does ;) and nice images as well, really compact lens that delivers big time, Bokeh is nice and creamy.
Erik Lund