Author Topic: New D780 formally announced.  (Read 14005 times)

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
New D780 formally announced.
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:55:50 »

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: New D780 formally announced.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:48:51 »
BSI sensor with 2 stops more ISO.  Maximum shutter speed now 1/8000 with electronic shutter.  4K video.  From the B&H site:

When working in live view or when recording video, a Hybrid AF system is used that features 273 phase-detection points on the sensor, which cover approximately 90% of the imaging area. This helps to achieve fast and accurate focusing performance for both stills and video and also avails sophisticated subject tracking technologies, including Eye-Detection AF. This focusing system works in low-light down to -4 EV, or down to -6 EV in the dedicated Low-Light AF mode for stills.
[bold added]

That adds interest to the 12 frames per second rate in live view.  The shots will presumably be in focus, actually.

Nice improvements.  For me personally, not $2300US nice, but still some nice features and an indication of some things that can be expected on a D850 successor.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:59 »
Does indeed look like the specs of Z6 with a mirror - Very much targeted at video 8) A sign that DSLR is definitely not out-phased in Nikon land  ;)
Erik Lund

Cyril

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:52:08 »
Why not get a Z6 or D850 instead? You can get a used D850 for that price. And it's got the same sensor as the Z6 but 500 euro higher price and the Z6 allows you to use all its functions with the EVF, such as eye autofocus. Is this product targeting videographers?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:58:39 »
4k and 1/8000 is nice, but is quite an incremental improvement.   Seems they axed vertical grip for it too, that's a shame.  I hope the gripless Zs and D780 are not the new normal.  Looks like my D750 will be sticking around for quite some time.  Don't mean to be a negative Nancy, we can't have leaps and bounds every release cycle.
-Tristin

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:48:28 »
Why not get a Z6 or D850 instead? You can get a used D850 for that price. And it's got the same sensor as the Z6 but 500 euro higher price and the Z6 allows you to use all its functions with the EVF, such as eye autofocus. Is this product targeting videographers?

The D780 has the optical viewfinder which many enjoy, and now for the first time in Nikon DSLR, features a more generally useful LV AF with OSPDAF, which should be nice for low and high shots (e.g. crowd view from above) even with the subjects moving. Also it autofocuses screwdriver AF Nikkors which the Z6 does not. The price is higher than the current price for the Z6 but will no doubt be reduced once it has been available for a while and the initial surge has gone. 

I don't think Nikon targets videographers who only do video, but photographers who also do some video, but a lot of people now are finding themselves in situations where video is expected.

The D850 autofocus during video ... well, it's best used to prefocus before the video recording starts. It's not really something you want to use during the recording. OSPDAF should change that. Hopefully Nikon launch a standard zoom with AF-P to complement the 70-300 AF-P to further improve video AF.  The D850 does have focus peaking but it's not available during 4K recording; I would expect this to work in the D780 even in 4K recording.

Personally what I'm interested in is better LVAF, not so much video.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 12:54:14 »
4k and 1/8000 is nice, but is quite an incremental improvement.   

Well they added support for Nikon's radio flash which I use, that's nice. And there is support for faster cards (UHS-II) whereas D750 was quite buffer-constrained with 2.3s 14-bit lossless NEFs on continuous high before the camera slows down (an increase in burst depth from 17 to 68 frames is quite nice!).

RexGig0

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 16:17:11 »
Interesting. This one is better-spec’ed than I had anticipated. I look forward to the opportunity to handle one. I have D5 and D850 cameras, and had been considering adding a D500, as a “compact” body, but the D780 is, now, a contender.
Rex Michael Gigout

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 00:34:07 »
I noticed something interesting in a video which was showing the D780 settings. It allows autofocus fine tune to be set in a focal length dependent way for zoom lenses.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 09:30:22 »
The D780 has the optical viewfinder which many enjoy, and now for the first time in Nikon DSLR, features a more generally useful LV AF with OSPDAF, which should be nice for low and high shots (e.g. crowd view from above) even with the subjects moving. Also it autofocuses screwdriver AF Nikkors which the Z6 does not. The price is higher than the current price for the Z6 but will no doubt be reduced once it has been available for a while and the initial surge has gone. 

I don't think Nikon targets videographers who only do video, but photographers who also do some video, but a lot of people now are finding themselves in situations where video is expected.

The D850 autofocus during video ... well, it's best used to prefocus before the video recording starts. It's not really something you want to use during the recording. OSPDAF should change that. Hopefully Nikon launch a standard zoom with AF-P to complement the 70-300 AF-P to further improve video AF.  The D850 does have focus peaking but it's not available during 4K recording; I would expect this to work in the D780 even in 4K recording.

Personally what I'm interested in is better LVAF, not so much video.

I appreciate the posibillity to take photos while in LV in some circumstanses (silent and raw). If Nikon fix the AF in LV, we get the best of two worlds in one camera (love the OVF

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 15:10:29 »
fyi.............
 Warning! Click Bait!
Wow!!!  :o :o :o What a ridicules writing style. So negative and hollow. What a waste of time even reading a few lines of this utter *I know better' rant omg I'm chockedWarning! Click Bait! >:( >:( >:(
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 20:49:36 »
Wow!!!  :o :o :o What a ridicules writing style. So negative and hollow. What a waste of time even reading a few lines of this utter *I know better' rant omg I'm chockedWarning! Click Bait! >:( >:( >:(

Very surprised by this sort of reaction. Thom Hogan has often proved to be right, even if the message displeases..
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 21:12:44 »

I agree. I am really disappointed with myself that I clicked the link. I don't really understand how anyone could be negative towards having a perfect viable choise for f-mount lens owners. I would guess this is the perfect camera for most of the wildlife photographers out there. It is how the internet has evolved. The most outrageous statements gives the highest revenue. This kind of articles is a cash cow for TH. I guess those who expect miracles from the camera companies is in for the long haul. 

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 21:14:36 »
For this asking price I would have preferred the D780 goodies in a D500/D850 type of body...