Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27399 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2021, 22:15:21 »
Hi all,

I finally joined the Z crowd (late, I know)

Never too late to join ! :)

Anyway, chipped adapters implies that lenses you want to adapt are also chipped.

As long as I know, some are existing (for Sony E mount cameras), but are mostly made by artisan at expensive prices. So they keep electric connection and you can even autofocusing.
Francis Devrainne

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2021, 22:19:13 »
I got the 200/4 Orestor not long ago. $35-40 or so.....quite cheap and near mint condition.
I have a K&F EXA adapter which worked very well with Meyer 35/2.8 Primagon which is a very good lens. Much better than expected.
The Orestor-lenses should be "bokeh-masters"?   .....and prices is going up on these so I think I was just lucky to get a cheap one at the local market.
They make some called "Trioplan" and some of these has quite high price-tags......for a lens with 3-elements?     .....why not.....

Just got a vintage lens : a Meyer Optic Görlitz 100mm 2.8 Orestor. Light and not too big regarding its focal (100mm).

It's the first lens I get in Exacta mount.

I had bought this Exacta/ nikon Z adapter some months ago in case...

Very good ring, holding the lens tightly with no play both sides. Unfortunately, the make is not mentioned on the ring. It looks like very much a Pixco one. Same markings same machining.

Anyway, ready to test it (when the weather allows... 8).

Few pics :

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2021, 22:24:52 »
Correction....the 200/4 is called "Orestegor"....a 5-element. A 135/2.8 does also exist.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2021, 23:35:14 »
Correction more.....the Meyer 35mm Primagon is a f4.5 lens.....so very slow.....but sharp.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2021, 10:28:16 »

The Orestor-lenses should be "bokeh-masters"? 

Not sure is a bokeh master, but the result (if we are talking about ''bubble bokeh'') is not too bad. Similar to the 100mm Trioplan.

I paid £62 including postage from Germany this almost mint version 5 weeks ago. This is the version #2 with improved coating. Shame it's a 6 iris blades only, the previous version has 15 blades !

When I get some free time I will compare both lenses (Orestor vs Trioplan).

Optically, I rate it as very sharp.

Also, I got recently a vintage extension kit (exacta) for £9 which I am going to try soon.
Francis Devrainne

hmallat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Personal website
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2021, 18:35:46 »
Never too late to join ! :)

Thanks!

Anyway, chipped adapters implies that lenses you want to adapt are also chipped.

What I had mind was simply a combination of a dumb adapter and a "Z Dandelion" at the camera side. I.e. adding a chip to the adapter instead of a lens, so that the lens could stay unmodified. This would be easier than modifying certain harder Nikkors.

But looks like such a thing does not exist, not yet anyway...

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2021, 18:57:45 »
Not sure is a bokeh master, but the result (if we are talking about ''bubble bokeh'') is not too bad. Similar to the 100mm Trioplan.

I paid £62 including postage from Germany this almost mint version 5 weeks ago. This is the version #2 with improved coating. Shame it's a 6 iris blades only, the previous version has 15 blades !

When I get some free time I will compare both lenses (Orestor vs Trioplan).

Optically, I rate it as very sharp.

Also, I got recently a vintage extension kit (exacta) for £9 which I am going to try soon.

The Meyer 200/4 has nice rounded 15 blade aperture.
I tried the lens at f4 out of the window handheld with not very much light. But it can make a decent image at f4.
I observed a bit of haze between the front element so lens will benefit from a CLA. I wonder if small one-man companies exists that does this at a reasonable prize.......
A good lens. It was my first image with this lens using EXA to Leica M and Leica M to Nikon Z adapter.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2021, 20:37:02 »
Just received the Fringer EF-NZ adapter for my Voigtlander 125/2.5 in Canon EF mount and can report that everything works perfectly :)

With electronic adapters it’s always the questions wether they also support third party lenses, so far its fifty fifty. On the Sony a7RII the Commlite adapter worked great with the Canon 100-400 but got the aperture wrong for the CV125 whereas the Metabones worked flawlesly with both.

Similar with the Techart Pro Sony FE to Z adapter, the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 works great but the aperture is off by one click for the Voigtlander 15/4.5 FE and the CV125 with the Metabones adapter. When the latter reports f/2.5 the aperture isn’t fully opened yet, one turn extra on the dial does open it entirely but now the aperture reads f/2.4 on both the topscreen of the Z6 and the exif.

The electronic aperture control on the Fringer adapter works flawlesly though and there’s zero play in the mount, it also comes with a removable Arca foot which works great to balance the CV125 on a tripod. At €299 its my most expensive adapter yet but its well worth it when the CV125 works like a native lens, it also enables future workarounds for some of my unchipped lenses knowing it works with third party chips but more on that later.

Attached pics of the CV125 on the Z6, the exif wideopen with the Fringer adapter and finally the exif with the Techart Pro & Metabones stack. Please note that besides the proper aperture registration it also turns the AF Mode into MF mode where other adapters kept the Z6 incorrectly in AF-C mode.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2021, 20:55:51 »
Very nice! Looks like a sound product ;)
Erik Lund

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2021, 15:28:30 »
I purchased the Pixco Nikkor S (RF)-Z adapter to use my old rangefinder Nikkors on the Z cameras. The adapter looks nice, but the fit, in particular to the S bayonet, is poor.

There is a 'noname' S-Z adapter sold by a German dealer that fits my rangefinder lenses well, though.

Is it against forum rules, to name the dealer or vendor? I haven't been here in some time, so I forget.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2021, 15:39:58 »
I see no harm in stating vendor's name etc.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2021, 15:48:58 »
i bought a pixco exakta-Z adapter and my 13.5/3.5 wont mount, waiting for the replacement :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2021, 15:56:55 »
Quite a number of adapters on the market, in particular the cheap ones, fail to provide the correct register distance or allow a secure mounting of the lens.

While the cheapies tend to be worst, I have had issues also with high-priced products. Sometimes only one out of a batch of the same adapter is faulty, which hints at low standards of Q.C.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2021, 16:29:19 »
Quite a number of adapters on the market, in particular the cheap ones, fail to provide the correct register distance or allow a secure mounting of the lens.

While the cheapies tend to be worst, I have had issues also with high-priced products. Sometimes only one out of a batch of the same adapter is faulty, which hints at low standards of Q.C.

Noted and will be remembered. Thank you, Birna!

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2021, 18:54:22 »

For those wanting to learn how to adapt any lens, I’ve just launched my 7-hour video course entitled “Adapt Vintage Lenses To Modern Cameras”.  In this course you'll learn "The 10-Methods" of adapting lenses.  These methods will work on the following types of lenses:
•   modern lenses
•   vintage film-era lenses
•   non-photographic lenses that don’t even have a mount

This course features discussions and demonstrations of the latest and most advanced: lens adapters; and lens adapting techniques.  Also, I share my original adapting tips and secrets.
Below is a link to a short video that provides a course overview.  It reviews each of the 10-Methods of adapting lenses. 

https://www.udemy.com/course/adapt-vintage-lenses-to-modern-cameras/?couponCode=INTRODUCTORY-OFFER