Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27415 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« on: January 04, 2020, 13:20:23 »
Thanks the growing mirrorless market, adapters are becoming unavoidable accessories for our hobby/trade, making us ''the new Lords of the Rings.''.. ;D
Tell us everything about these useful stuff you use or you will buy :

#quality;
#prices;
#usefulness;
#suppliers, ect.

I start showing some of this rings with my range of adapters I use with my Z6. Thanks them, my ''lenses budget'' stays affordable and I can experiment exotic pieces of glass.
I am not happy with all of them, that will be discussed later.
You can see below : L/M 39, M42, Exacta, MD (Rokkor), FTZ (nikon F), 58mm NF. Leica M, all of them for Z mount.

Francis.

Francis Devrainne

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 15:50:47 »
Francis, I agree this seems to be the way of the world for the moment! How long before the adapters weigh more than the actual camera? ::)
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 17:17:06 »
Francis, I agree this seems to be the way of the world for the moment! How long before the adapters weigh more than the actual camera? ::)

Probably never, Mike !
I think adapters will follow the lens technology (material wise). Perhaps we will see soon camera bodies made of carbon fibers, like the recent Airbus A350 ? If so,  adapter makers will certainly do the same.
The heaviest of my Z adapters is the MD/Z. (124gr). I admit that it's not light for an adapter, but the Z mount diameter doesn't help.
I am not talking about the FTZ which is a particular accessory.
The lighter one is the M39/Z (64gr) and allows to use the tiny Leica lenses, then the Leica M/Z adapter also adapting Leica lenses.

This is one more reason I am going toward Leica M/m39 mount lenses, just a matter of coherence, I mean why to buy a lighter camera if you mount a bulky/heavy lens on it ?
Note that I use this light system for travel. The another mount I use, is for different purposes (studio, experiments, macro/close-up and wildlife photography).
Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 00:13:23 »
Love the title, Francis.  :)

Shining in the morning sun on a bit dusty table is my humble collection of the "Rings" I currently own.

Having experienced various problems with more affordable adapters, I settled on either Rayqual from Japan or Novoflex from Germany.  I had Rayqual ones for Fuji X bodies but sold them when I switched to Sigma fp.  With these rather expensive but neatly made adapters, the infinity focus with the properly assembled lenses like the venerable MF Nikkors is ensured, which is beneficial for shooting celestial bodies or distant scenes.

The two on the left side are Novoflex L-mount (the bayonet mount for the Leica-Panasonic-Sigma alliance) adapters for the Nikon F mout and the M42 mount respectively.

The three rings on the right side are BORG camera mounts for Sony E- and m4/3 mounts originally developed to attach digital cameras to their astronomical telescopes.  Their standard mount thread is 49.8mm, and the 49.8mm to 42mm adapter ring help the camera bodies attach to various exotic lenses and contraptions.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 03:42:45 »
I used two E to Z adapters on the Z6 recently.

Pixco

Bad fit, with wiggle play and clunky release lever that covered lower function button on camera.  Avoid.

Gabale

Good snug fit, minimal release lever.  Recommended.

-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:18:53 »
I used two E to Z adapters on the Z6 recently.

Pixco

Bad fit, with wiggle play and clunky release lever that covered lower function button on camera.  Avoid.

Looks very much like Fotodiox m4/3 to Sony NEX adapter that I had bought just out of curiosity.  It had rough edges and burrs on the routed parts.  I feared that the metal particles would eventually fall on the sensor after some repetition of mounting and unmounting.  I never dared to use it.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:02 »
I purchased the Pixco Nikkor S (RF)-Z adapter to use my old rangefinder Nikkors on the Z cameras. The adapter looks nice, but the fit, in particular to the S bayonet, is poor.

There is a 'noname' S-Z adapter sold by a German dealer that fits my rangefinder lenses well, though.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 12:04:33 »
Thanks for your contributions !

I am heading France now and probably NO internet connection for couple of weeks... ::)

Enjoy the beginning of 2020 ! ;)

Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 14:47:06 »
I use a Sony A7RII body, which has the advantage of having a veritable plethora of cheap Chinese adapters available. Certainly, when using automatic lenses, it is worth having a decent name-brand adapter such as Kipon or Metabones, but for vintage lenses, the cheap Chinese adapters generally work a treat. I have a number of focusing helicoids in various diameters for adapting lenses of all kinds. They come in various lengths and diameters of M42, M52, M58 and M65. To these one can add various adapter rings and clamps to secure lens barrels for projection lenses and the like. My favorites are the helicoid adapters for Nikon F, Canon EOS and M42 lenses, which, when fully retracted, allow for infinity focus, but which can be extended 20mm or so to provide continuous close focusing.

chambeshi

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:34:39 »
There are at least 3 "Smart" adapters for Canon EF to Nikon Z released "into the wild".

https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-canon-ef-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tzc-01

https://www.fringeradapter.com/canon-ef-to-nikon-z

https://www.fringeradapter.com/blog/fringer-ef-nz-smart-adapter-engineering-sample-got-tested

http://altson.net/single-post-NZ.html

Scroll down to compare differences listed for compatible Canon EF lenses. Fringer state:
"Theoretically, it supports all Z mount cameras released in the future. If there is any problem, we may release a new firmware to keep the compatibility

We haven't tested all lenses yet. If any lens is found to be incompatible, please let us know. As long as a lens sample can be found, we may fix the problem by a new firmware release asap."

Most importantly, each brand claims to be able to upgrade the adapter Firmware via USB.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 18:30:05 »
I recently bought a Pixco Leica R/ Z adapter... So much play ! >:( >:(

I had bought previously 2 Pixco adapters : M42//Z and L39/Z and I couldn't notice any play as they fit lenses with threads, hence no play noticed.

Actually le Leica R mount is a similar system as the Nikon : a pin clicks inside a groove and blocks the lens. In the pixco adapter, the pin diameter is 2.40mm and the groove of the R lens is 2.49mm wide, hence the play.
In addition, there is a slight play between the adapter and the Z body... ::)

So, I keep an eye on any comments about a different make adapter, I can cut the one I have to fit an exotic lenses, at least.

Let me know if you are happy with a different make.

Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 19:53:58 »
I recently bought a Pixco Leica R/ Z adapter... So much play ! >:( >:(

I had bought previously 2 Pixco adapters : M42//Z and L39/Z and I couldn't notice any play as they fit lenses with threads, hence no play noticed.

Actually le Leica R mount is a similar system as the Nikon : a pin clicks inside a groove and blocks the lens. In the pixco adapter, the pin diameter is 2.40mm and the groove of the R lens is 2.49mm wide, hence the play.
In addition, there is a slight play between the adapter and the Z body... ::)

So, I keep an eye on any comments about a different make adapter, I can cut the one I have to fit an exotic lenses, at least.

Let me know if you are happy with a different make.

Francis.

I would only recommend Novoflex and Rayqual.  As I mentioned in my post above, I only trust these brands, even though they are in the highest price range.  Both makes various adapters for Nikon Z body including the one for Leica R lenses.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 20:02:22 »
Thanks for this information, Akira !

Will have a look on the makes you said.

The above mentioned adapter is terrible ! Even the little button commanding the pin is wobbling... ::)

Cheers, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 20:10:42 »
every single item I got from Novoflex works exactly a promised. Very good brand. precision engineering.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 10:38:43 »
every single item I got from Novoflex works exactly a promised. Very good brand. precision engineering.

Cabbot agree more!! And they are willing and able to help if there is a problem - even talked to their CEO once to solve a (very rare and exotic) problem I had.
formerly known as kds315