Author Topic: Lightroom Classic not seeing Photos  (Read 1718 times)

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Lightroom Classic not seeing Photos
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:25:35 »
When connecting my new Z6 to my iMac via a USB cable, and although the Z6 is shown as a source no photos are found?
I presume I'm doing something wrong or there must be a setting I've missed? Any help would be appreciated.

When the XQD card is plugged into a card reader the photos show up no problem.
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Lightroom Classic not seeing Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 10:40:32 »
Hi Mike, welcome back.  Do you have the latest OS and Lightroom versions?  I believe camera connections go via the OS camera connection software, whereas importing via a card reader import they are treated as data files, would be my explanation.  I almost never connect any of my cameras directly to the computer, always use a card reader for this reason.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 11:02:47 »
Hi Mike, welcome back.  Do you have the latest OS and Lightroom versions?  I believe camera connections go via the OS camera connection software, whereas importing via a card reader import they are treated as data files, would be my explanation.  I almost never connect any of my cameras directly to the computer, always use a card reader for this reason.
Robert, I understand what you are saying, but by directly connecting the camera would give me another method to import my photos!
I can import via “Photos” and “Image Import” ok but I am able to import direct to Lr from my Lumix G9 so I think it is a camera setting I can’t find, or a Lightroom problem, more likely a me problem!

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 11:32:35 »
It should work with the latest Lightroom version and camera firmware; it does over here.

One reason you might consider for not mixing direct camera import with card reader import: Lightroom does not detect "Suspected Duplicates" this way, so mixing these two methods (with non-deleted pictures on a card) will lead to duplicates being imported.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 11:38:34 »
How is the USB mode setting of your Z6?  I guess you should set it to the "mass storage" mode instead of PTP mode or something like that?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 12:19:29 »
How is the USB mode setting of your Z6?  I guess you should set it to the "mass storage" mode instead of PTP mode or something like that?

Apparently the more recent Nikons (D850, Z6/Z7) only support MTP/PTP (Media Transfer Protocol/ Picture Transfer Protocol) mode, not MSC (mass storage class) anymore. So no USB setting to fiddle... The camera cannot mount directly into the file system anymore.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 13:22:53 »
Apparently the more recent Nikons (D850, Z6/Z7) only support MTP/PTP (Media Transfer Protocol/ Picture Transfer Protocol) mode, not MSC (mass storage class) anymore. So no USB setting to fiddle... The camera cannot mount directly into the file system anymore.
Thanks Eddie. I seem to recall that from my D810 days now that you remind me!