Author Topic: Reassessing Nikkor-H Auto 50/2.0  (Read 1474 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Reassessing Nikkor-H Auto 50/2.0
« on: December 11, 2019, 15:51:57 »
Yes, the early single-coated "Nippon Kogaku" version.  I'm pleased with its rendering character.  The lens was combined with Sigma fp and set wide open.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

basker

• NG Member
Re: Reassessing Nikkor-H Auto 50/2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 23:03:52 »
That is an interesting combination. I like it a lot.
Sam McMillan

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 23:47:30 »
Thank you, Sam!  I'm pleasantly surprised with its potential.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 02:47:47 »
Hi Akira,

Hope all is well.

I have 5 50mm Nikkor f lenses and when I once tried them all in one ongoing moment, I remember being quite pleased with the 50/2.0. it had rich color and good focal depth of field. As I sit here, a floor away from the lens, I can only guess but believe it is pre-ai (K?) but with the added whatchamacallit to make it work with newer cameras.

Cheers!

Tom

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:20:30 »
Hi, Tom, thank you for drop in on the thread.  All is well with me, and I hope the same goes with you.

I got this particular 50/2.0 on 'Bay with the premise of trying some vintage look, and the lens seem to work perfectly.  I even got a non-coated Nikon ND4 filter to use the lens wide open as much as possible.

As you point out, I wanted a decent amount of DOF instead of the super shallow DOF that faster 50mm lenses offer.  K version (pre-Ai with the rubber focus ring) would have worked great, and any pre-Ais 50mm Nikkors would be preferable on digital cameras thanks to their longer focus throw, but I preferred the single-coated version for my purpose.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 14:10:34 »
Hi Akira
Gentle - not hyped - rendering. I presume that was the look you were aiming for?

I was in Omotesando at Tokyo Union Church 3 weeks ago but was only passing through and didn’t have enough time to catch up with you. I hope you are well. I presume Sigma fp has replaced the Fuji?

JJ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 18:12:19 »
Hi Akira
Gentle - not hyped - rendering. I presume that was the look you were aiming for?

I was in Omotesando at Tokyo Union Church 3 weeks ago but was only passing through and didn’t have enough time to catch up with you. I hope you are well. I presume Sigma fp has replaced the Fuji?

JJ

Hi, JJ, thank you for commenting.  I'm doing well, and hope you are as well.

Yes, I switched from Fuji to Sigma fp.  I still believe that Fuji is the best APS-C camera today, especially combined with Capture One, but I couldn't stand with the make-believe film camera design.  :D

And, yes, more gentle rendition was what I was hoping for with this optical gem made 50+ years ago.  The last image was shot in Omotesando, as you might have noticed.

Sorry you didn't have time to spend more time in Tokyo.  Hope to see you next time.