Author Topic: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?  (Read 6073 times)

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 14:40:16 »
As I will be PXing four lenses and a battery grip(Panasonic) soon, I’m glad I kept the boxes as my preferred dealer always enquires about the boxes!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2019, 19:21:53 »
I just threw away the last 2 lens boxes I had.  They belonged to lenses that I wasn't sure I'd keep at the time(2008). Still have the lenses: Zeiss 100/2 and 21/2.8.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 02:52:08 »
my routine when obtaining new gear is to remove the item itself (camera body, lens, iphone, ipad, etc) and leave virtually everything else in the box. then the box goes into a much larger box in the deep recesses of the central storage.

lately i have been selling gear after a shorter use period rather than letting it sit unused in a drawer. over the past 5 years i'd estimate i've sold 50 items or so, and the complete original packaging plus manuals, accessories, etc in literally like new condition has certainly added a few thousand dollars to the value of the items.i can't really tolerate clutter, so i wouldn't do this if they had to live anywhere i could see them. the only bummer is the trip to the storage to retrieve when i've decided to photograph and sell an item!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 03:54:41 »
I usually try to keep the boxes in my barn, but little creatures sometimes take advantage of them, so my actual supply of boxes that do not have holes gnawed in them to turn them into nests and public toilets has dwindled.  If by some freakish mischance I ever have to sell my 200-500, the buyer had better not expect the box.  Too roomy.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 19:35:11 »
If by some freakish mischance I ever have to sell my 200-500, the buyer had better not expect the box.  Too roomy.

Can't you flat it ? Easy to tidy when is flat. Behind a piece of furniture for instance.
I always noticed that buyers like the original box of a lens. it'd add a value to it.
A fortiori when is it a long telelens. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 20:22:31 »
Flattening boxes doesn't work if they contain foam inserts and other packing, or you store spare manuals, cables and other accessories in them :)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 20:28:03 »
Can't you flat it ? Easy to tidy when is flat. Behind a piece of furniture for instance.
I always noticed that buyers like the original box of a lens. it'd add a value to it.
A fortiori when is it a long telelens. ;)
I could have, but alas, it's too late.  I've generally kept the styrofoam and stuff in the boxes as well, so of course they won't go flat then. Anyway, the little blighters moved in, and definitively ended the box's career as a collectible.   The up side is that I like the lens and if I have my preference it will be my heirs who have to figure out what to do with it.  However, given the suggestion, I might  consider flattening any remaining boxes that haven't been eaten up.

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:05 »
I might  consider flattening any remaining boxes that haven't been eaten up.

I also use to keep each invoice in its box, so that I don't lose them !
Francis Devrainne

Hans_S

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:11 »
I've kept all of mine, stored against the back panels of various book cases. There they do a great job preventing the smaller books sliding too far in!
Just realised that some have been there since 1978, I find it hard to part with my favourite toys.  ::)
Hans Schepers

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 13:48:07 »
Just realised that some have been there since 1978, I find it hard to part with my favourite toys.  ::)

Well, you probably have some hidden treasures behind your book cases... :D
Francis Devrainne

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 14:27:07 »
For those who (hopefully) utilize their gear on a regular basis, if not on a work schedule, all the while neurotically caring for it's cosmetic condition as well, and anticipate an emergent necessity (G.A.S.) to trade-up to newer models or systems, original boxes and all attendant accoutrements therein will measurably increase the trade-in value of good and garbage alike. Mind you, I speak from the perspective of a poser and bum residing in the United heaven-Sakes of America. (That really big and famous store in NYC routinely asks about original boxes, paperwork, matching serial numbers etc when making trade-in estimates or evaluations towards the purchase of new, even newer used, gear.)