Author Topic: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?  (Read 6074 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« on: December 09, 2019, 15:01:58 »

I know. Kind of disgusting and beautiful at the same time. I have dug all the lens boxes and a few others out and am deciding what to do with them. This is a ten-foot table. The worse part is these are not even all of them, I have about half that amount in rails, tripods, heads, and all manner of support equipment.

I’ve showed you mine, what do you do with all of your boxes? When we go to sell an item, a box counts. Problem is, I have not ever sold many. However, I recently decided I am NOT a lens museum and plan to sell a score or so lenses and keep the rest, those I actually use often and those I am looking for the time to use. I thought this would be a fun photo for those who can appreciate it. 😊
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Do You Save Your Lens Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 15:13:19 »
I kept boxes for a long time, one day i threw them out hogs up space, i have kept soft pouches and (faux) leather boxes etc.
I have some still though i notice...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 16:20:24 »
I keep most of the boxes for when I sell equipment it is nice to ship them in original boxes.

Are there lenses and cameras safe from selling? I do not know.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 16:26:43 »
When we go to sell an item, a box counts.

I don't think so. I have bought several preowned lenses, and only one time with the original box. If the box had conted, I would expect more boxes. I think most of us just throw it away.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 17:56:10 »
PS: I do not keep boxes of Tripods and the like because I use these up
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 18:04:16 »
Even empty boxes have their own market value: a quick search on Ebay with keywords Nikon Empty Box turned up 125 results, with prices from 11$ (+shp) for a common lens (e.g. a 28-85 MF Nikkor), up to 300$ for an S3 rangefinder (super-rare) original box.

The conditions of one's boxes give a potential buyer an idea of the treatment a lens has been subjected to, I can infer that Michael has been pampering his lenses (and boxes), and if he's selling something it's certainly going to be in top condition. No scratches, no dust, no fingerprints.

I usually keep all my boxes, and I prefer if the lens or camera I buy comes with its own box (see consideration above), but I am not 100% strict about that.

Vintage cameras and lenses have a greater value if they come with the original box and papers, and if the serial #s match

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 18:57:53 »
I keep the boxes *(if I have them).  I sell too much and a number of serious buyers are willing to pay extra for the box.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 19:13:31 »
When I have bought used lenses, the presence of boxes is no indication of condition of the lens.  I have bought used lenses with box that turned out to be defective and needed service, and used lenses w/o box that haven't needed service in 20 years. I've saved a few lens boxes in cases where I thought I might re-sell the lens soon.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 22:47:31 »
If a lens is a rare or a collectors' item, the original box and the original accompanying items (user's manual, pouch, warranty card, etc.) will count.

Otherwise, the original box would only add some coins when you sell the lens.

I have bought and sold many lenses and cameras.  So, the boxes has't take up too much space.   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 22:57:21 »
I keep all the boxes with manuals, cables etc. in a storage space in the attic. Luckily my wife never looks there ;) Now and then I sell gear and it definitely helps for the resale value. I don't buy much used gear myself but I'm also biased when the whole package and content is complete.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 23:07:28 »
I keep all the boxes with manuals, cables etc. in a storage space in the attic. Luckily my wife never looks there ;) Now and then I sell gear and it definitely helps for the resale value. I don't buy much used gear myself but I'm also biased when the whole package and content is complete.

Nowadays, I normally download the PDF manuals and leave the plastic bag containing the printed manual unopened.  Also, I rarely use the accompanying video and/or USB cables, and their plastic bags remain unopened.

So, my items bought new will mostly remain in the pristine condition.   8) 8) 8)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 23:09:29 »
+1 for me Akira on that.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 00:31:09 »
Boxes and lens manuals are the first things to throw into the bin when I buy new lenses. In fact, i usually discard these items straight away, while still at my dealer's. They are in the same class of  superfluous oddities as covers for sync terminals or hot shoes. To be discarded immediately.

If the presence of a box is what determines the attraction of a lens, it simply isn't worth my hard-earned money.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 10:42:50 »
And then you pile everything up in the « little red Peugeot » ? 😂
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North