Author Topic: Gradients of dusk  (Read 3544 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Gradients of dusk
« on: December 04, 2019, 16:38:27 »
Shot with Sigma fp with 45/2.8.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Gradients of dusk
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 16:40:24 »
Wonderful captures, really like the building silhouettes of the buildings look great vs the gradient from warm to cool
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 17:19:01 »
As said before Akira, you do these shots really well!
Wires add the tension.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 23:33:26 »
Wonderful captures, really like the building silhouettes of the buildings look great vs the gradient from warm to cool

Thank you, Armando.  That was exactly what inspired me.

As said before Akira, you do these shots really well!
Wires add the tension.

Thank you, Sten.  The wires flying around are questionable as infrastructure but indeed interesting elements for the composition.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:39 »
Very nice colors. I love the salmon. This time of year we are lucky to have some clouds to break up the gradient a bit.

Bear Dale

• NG Member
  • Big kid in the guise of an adult
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:13:42 »
Nice Akira.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58:02 »
Beautifully done Akira!  Interesting theme.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 19:48:46 »
Very nice colors. I love the salmon. This time of year we are lucky to have some clouds to break up the gradient a bit.

Thank you, Jack.  The thin clouds add nice color and atmosphere to your image.

Nice Akira.

Thank you, Bear.

Beautifully done Akira!  Interesting theme.

Thank you, Bill.  The gradient offers a nice backdrop to the cityscapes of the metroplolis.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 23:16:53 »
The idea inspired me, thanks Akira. Taken yesterday evening. Two shots horizontal "pano". Last lights in Granada as seing from the Serrallo neighborhood
  Z6, 70-200 2.8 fl

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 15:52:22 »
Akira,
I appreciate the effort, but wonder exactly when these photos were taken in relation to the time of sunset? I was taught that the 15 minute period after the actual sunset had sufficient light to see detail in the surroundings while still allowing one to capture the beauty in the sky. In my opinion, all your shots seem to have been taken too late resulting in virtually no detail in the buildings.
Robert 
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 16:11:47 »
Akira,
I appreciate the effort, but wonder exactly when these photos were taken in relation to the time of sunset? I was taught that the 15 minute period after the actual sunset had sufficient light to see detail in the surroundings while still allowing one to capture the beauty in the sky. In my opinion, all your shots seem to have been taken too late resulting in virtually no detail in the buildings.
Robert

In my view, the critical elements of these shots are the sky and the form/geometry of the buildings. Details about the facade and such distract from those subjects. Much like we can use depth of field to isolate the subject, we can also use darkness, on in high key photos, brightness. Extreme detail is one way of constructing an image, but there are many other ways to tell a story.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 16:23:45 »
I'm with Jack here and pretty sure is intentional. Akira is using the language consistently - with great effect - through the series.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 16:53:38 »
Akira,
Robert

Robert, thank you for your comment.  I understand what you say, especially considering your photographic style which I always appreciate.

As Jack fittingly points out, I wanted to keep the details of the buildings as only suggestive as possible.  Also, I wanted to utilize various reflections and light sources as compositional elements.  I believe the same applies to the image posted by Jack here.

And, as Paco says, that is intentional and is my favored way for the abstraction.

Although I initiated the thread in this category, rendering the details of the buildings clearly was not the purpose for the images.  In this sense, my images may not be considered as cityscapes as documentations of the scene.

As a believer of the simplicity, I always go for the beauty of ellipsis, and I found the underexposure of the shadows works well for me.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 17:35:20 »
Robert, thank you for your comment.  I understand what you say, especially considering your photographic style which I always appreciate.

As Jack fittingly points out, I wanted to keep the details of the buildings as only suggestive as possible.  Also, I wanted to utilize various reflections and light sources as compositional elements.  I believe the same applies to the image posted by Jack here.

And, as Paco says, that is intentional and is my favored way for the abstraction.

Although I initiated the thread in this category, rendering the details of the buildings clearly was not the purpose for the images.  In this sense, my images may not be considered as cityscapes as documentations of the scene.

As a believer of the simplicity, I always go for the beauty of ellipsis, and I found the underexposure of the shadows works well for me.

Darkness is a thread that runs through a lot of great art. Many years ago while studying architecture I read Junichiro Tanizaki’s essay “ In Praise of Shadows” which has stuck with me all this time. In a way it was a reaction to westernization and modernization - battles which to some extent have been lost - but it is very human and applies just as well today as we continue to struggle with technologies which both increase and exhaust our ability to contemplate. I highly recommend reading it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 17:57:33 »
Darkness is a thread that runs through a lot of great art. Many years ago while studying architecture I read Junichiro Tanizaki’s essay “ In Praise of Shadows” which has stuck with me all this time. In a way it was a reaction to westernization and modernization - battles which to some extent have been lost - but it is very human and applies just as well today as we continue to struggle with technologies which both increase and exhaust our ability to contemplate. I highly recommend reading it.

I did read "In Praise of Shadows" and I felt I could relate to his sensitivity in many ways.  I also felt the same way as he did in terms of the relationship between the Japanese (Asian) complexion and the color of costumes of Noh and Gagaku.  Thank you for the reminder, Jack!