Author Topic: Nikon NOCT95 Lens-Foot Questions  (Read 2988 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Nikon NOCT95 Lens-Foot Questions
« on: November 16, 2019, 14:47:57 »
I am having problems with the permanent lens foot that interfaces with the tripod. It seems to have some give in it, but
This is hard for me to evaluate for these reasons.

My house floor has give to it.
The RRS tripod amplifies the shake in the floor.
The tripod head has its own give.
And I am trying to stack.

Quick analysis. I can wait out the floor shake. I can wait out the tripod shake. I tried using the Arca C1 Cube and its main fault as those who use it know is that the spongy knob that allows 90-degree drop is not absolutely secure. I have had three C1 Cubes (still have two) and that’s been true for all three of them.

And so, I switched to my Burzynski “Protec” ball head, which is the most stable head that I have ever seen and that helps quite a bit. However, I still wonder whether I should mess with the foot of the NOCT95. Unfortunately (for me), the lens barrel is huge and if I wanted to “wedge” some kind of brace in the ½” space between the end of the barrel and the foot, I don’t have a lot of room to wedge anything. But would it help?

So, my question is: should I try to wedge something in that short space or trust that Nikon has checked this out and probably the foot is not adding much or anything to my problem?

This only shows up because the helicoid/barrel is so stiff that to move it, even with focus-pull cog band on it, slightly moves the whole lens enough that it affects stacking with a lot of layers. Any thoughts or ideas please would be helpful.

One solution would be to mount the lens/camera on a focus rail and stack that way, but the focus rail is worse for the stacking software than using the helicoid and that process seems like a PITA to have to get used to. LOL.

NOCT95 wide open, srtacked.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon NOCT95 Lens-Foot Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 18:42:52 »
... the lens barrel is huge and if I wanted to “wedge” some kind of brace in the ½” space between the end of the barrel and the foot, I don’t have a lot of room to wedge anything. But would it help?

So, my question is: should I try to wedge something in that short space or trust that Nikon has checked this out and probably the foot is not adding much or anything to my problem?

This only shows up because the helicoid/barrel is so stiff that to move it, even with focus-pull cog band on it, slightly moves the whole lens enough that it affects stacking with a lot of layers. Any thoughts or ideas please would be helpful.
I don't know that there are many people using the Noct as you do who would have any practical experience here. When the tripod collar is locked down do you notice any play between the tripod foot and the lens barrel? I think the only way to get an answer is to try it yourself. Maybe carve a small piece of wood or cork and wedge it in place, see if it helps.

I wonder if it is worth seeing if you can get your lens related with lighter grease so it is easier to focus? Do you know any technician who can do that?

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 19:33:46 »
I don't know that there are many people using the Noct as you do who would have any practical experience here. When the tripod collar is locked down do you notice any play between the tripod foot and the lens barrel? I think the only way to get an answer is to try it yourself. Maybe carve a small piece of wood or cork and wedge it in place, see if it helps.

I wonder if it is worth seeing if you can get your lens related with lighter grease so it is easier to focus? Do you know any technician who can do that?

I don't know of anyone. Others with the lens also say it is stiff. It is only a real hassle for stacking.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 21:49:34 »
I have read in the past that photographers on Himalayan and Arctic/Antarctic expeditions had their cameras and lenses serviced by Nikon and re-lubed with much thinner, less stiff grease to counteract the effect of the cold making the focus action too stiff, I would guess that it's even more important now with AF because excessively stiff focus action could jam the AF motors resulting in burnt out motors.

When I got my AI 300mm f/2.8, I had it serviced and the feel was perfect, I could focus by merely by brushing the back of my finger on the focus ring, the action was a joy to use, perfectly smooth and still is 12 years on.

Try approaching Nikon service through the NPS.  You must qualify?  I find them very helpful.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 21:33:28 »
Perhaps mounting the rig on a stackshot and automating the rail movement is a good idea? Do you have one you can test it on?

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 22:05:47 »
Perhaps mounting the rig on a stackshot and automating the rail movement is a good idea? Do you have one you can test it on?

I do have a Stackshot and may try that. I have been manually using it on a focus rail and that works. I am still experimenting.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 23:42:41 »
I do have a Stackshot and may try that. I have been manually using it on a focus rail and that works. I am still experimenting.

Stackshot is not really a precision tool; I have it and there is MUCH better than that. Cannot carry much anyway...
formerly known as kds315

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 07:09:13 »
First and foremost, Stackshot is not designed to handle loads like that presented by the massive Noct 58/0.95. Weight alone will rule out its use here.

However, a macro rail might be set up to move the subject instead of camera/lens. I'm using this approach for some of my close-up work.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 08:09:27 »
First and foremost, Stackshot is not designed to handle loads like that presented by the massive Noct 58/0.95. Weight alone will rule out its use here.

However, a macro rail might be set up to move the subject instead of camera/lens. I'm using this approach for some of my close-up work.

Exactly what I have been doing. Yet I am discovering that just shooting a few stacked images or just a single image un-stacked is what this lens is best for.

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 00:44:20 »
Maybe I am mistaken but the stepper motor in the Stackshot is capable of lifting a 4.5kg load vertically. It easily moved (horizontally) my D4 mounted on a PB6 with PB6E, spacers, Topcon helicoid, tubes and multiphot lens, so it was at least the weight of a Z7+Noct.

I agree with Klaus that there are superior tools than Stackshot. The one from Alpa comes to mind and I am sure many others will outperform the Cognysis one.