Author Topic: Site Certificate  (Read 17911 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Site Certificate
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2019, 09:40:15 »
After a lot of messing, I accessed the new site briefly just after the move, next morning I refreshed the screen and it went back to silly, maintenance mode.

Last night I spent best part of an hour clearing catches, clearing/resetting the DNS etc.  All to no avail, this morning I am straight in???  For how long I don't know, I could get on from my iPhone when away from home but not at home.  I am beginning to wonder if part of the issue is my 'smart' router, serving up what IT decides, irrespective of what I actually WANT.

Anyway, many thanks to Birna and the team, I'm sure it's a good move in the long term, it's just been a rather bumpy switch.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2019, 09:54:50 »
…… I am beginning to wonder if part of the issue is my 'smart' router, serving up what IT decides, irrespective of what I actually WANT.

Anyway, many thanks to Birna and the team, I'm sure it's a good move in the long term, it's just been a rather bumpy switch.

Then my router is "smart" too. Problem with Safari, not with Chrome. Life goes on in Chrome.

God Jul! (Exchange for the seasons greeting in your chosen language!)

/Eric

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2019, 10:27:11 »
As our old server did not support TLS 1.2 (or higher). the security situation quickly became untenable :( We simply *had* to upgrade the hosting platform.

It's not a secret I found the migration process quite bumpy and fraught with unexpected difficulties myself (exacerbated by concurrent health issues), so glad it finally panned out OK. Well, mostly OK.

There still are major networks out there serving the old IP address. Nothing to do with that except fixing ad-hoc by changing one's local HOSTS file.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:36 »
No DNS-related problems here, either with Firefox on Win 10 or Safari on iOS13.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2019, 16:03:08 »
Quite bumpy indeed... I've seen the white screen three times with two time in between where I had to log in again... One hour ago I couldn't access and now it works again directly ???
I did reset all my settings on Safari (since the first time). I'm now hoping that time will help with the new DNS :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2019, 19:06:30 »
Apparently we have got the e-mail system working again. Shoot me a test PM, anyone?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2019, 19:19:33 »
Well, better direct such PMs to me :) Bjørn is no longer a physical entity.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2019, 22:38:45 »
I was just informed there has been a "rotten apple" in the DNS configuration that made an old, obsolete DNS record to start propagating, effectively undoing the resolution of the new IP address.

This goes a long way to explain the instability of DNS over the last 2 days.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2019, 01:43:40 »
Bill: You could put the following line into your HOSTS file

Code: [Select]
162.241.212.49    nikongear.net
Then, you avoid the vacillating scenario.

The old site is now set in permanent maintenance mode and can no longer be accessed. A notice of the new NG IP address is posted there.

Thanks, Birna.  I tried modding the hosts file and it didn't work, but in retrospect I may have saved the file in the wrong format.  As of now I'm getting into the site just fine.  Presumably the "rotten apple" has been dealt with so I'm feeling more confident I can get into the site in the future.  However, attempting to go to the new IP address directly, yesterday and the day before, was not working and was causing an error message. I wonder if that was also due to the rotten apple in the DNS system.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2019, 02:14:06 »
Thanks, Birna.  I tried modding the hosts file and it didn't work, but in retrospect I may have saved the file in the wrong format.  As of now I'm getting into the site just fine.  Presumably the "rotten apple" has been dealt with so I'm feeling more confident I can get into the site in the future.  However, attempting to go to the new IP address directly, yesterday and the day before, was not working and was causing an error message. I wonder if that was also due to the rotten apple in the DNS system.

If you edit the hosts file (for example with Notepad), when it tries to save it, it finds out that the original file is protected and it tries to save the modified file as a hosts.txt file in the Documents folder. The original file is unchanged. So you should proceed as follows:
  • Navigate to the Documents folder (or wherever the hosts.txt file has been saved to)
  • Rename the hosts.txt to hosts.
  • Copy the modified hosts. to folder c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
  • The system will prompt you for the overwrite of the original protected file with administrator privileges. Accept by clicking OK
  • Done

You can verify that the mapping of nikongear.net has been correctly applied by launching a command prompt, and then typing
PING nikongear.net
If system response is something like
Pinging nikongear.net [162.241.212.49] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 162.241.212.49: bytes=32 time=143ms TTL=47
THEN EVERYTHING IS OK (you have the correct mapping)

If the IP response is with the old one, then something has gone wrong, and you still have the wrong mapping. Check carefully the indicated steps.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2019, 06:55:38 »
Thank you, Massimo!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2019, 08:32:06 »
Unlike the scenario on the old server, where one could access NG directly through the IP, this is no longer possible. You *have to* use the domain name: nikongear.net.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2019, 19:11:03 »
Thanks again, Birna.  No problems at all since I got in successfully yesterday.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2019, 19:19:43 »
The DNS instability issue now apparently is a memory of the past ... You might wish to comment out, or delete the NG entry in your HOSTS file (for those members making that temporary solution).

I'm starting to get PM notifications as well, which indicates the site email finally is operational again - for now, at least.

We had a huge backlog of stuck emails, but the queue seems to be drained at present. A good sign.

There might still be issues with notifications sent to members having a gmail account, though. Next quirk to iron out presumably.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2019, 21:01:53 »
We had a huge backlog of stuck emails, but the queue seems to be drained at present. A good sign.

I just noticed I had received storm of notifications from NG.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira