Author Topic: Noct 58/0.95 - technical  (Read 35508 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Noct 58/0.95 - technical
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2019, 16:43:50 »
I agree on the must have but the lens is way beyond any serious consideration financially, so i content myself with the 105/1.4, 200/2 and a few more extraordinary lenses i managed to have picked along the way, thanks ;)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2019, 18:27:34 »
Some more comments on the NOCT95. This is a heavy lens (4.4 lb./2000g) with a 4” wide barrel. The tripod foot that is built into the lens is just secure enough to avoid shake, but not quite as secure and stable as I wish. It’s OK.

The stiffness of the helicoid is my only complaint (so far) with this lens and I am going to install one of my focus-pulling gears on it with a lever and see it that helps. I have my doubts. The problem is with stacking 100 images and turning that helicoid which disturbs the camera a tiny bit with each shot, after which it returns (hopefully) to where it was before. LOL. Perhaps it will loosen up with use.

The build is all I could hope for and more. Optically, the colors seem fine and although some reviewers say it is not as highly corrected (APO) as we might prefer, so far, its APO quality is good enough for my work. It’s aperture collar (and whatever) works but I see no use for it so far. As for all the buttons, digital-windows, etc. on the lens, they don’t bother me, but neither do I find them helpful for my kind of work.

IMO, you will need a solid tripod for this lens, at least for focus stacking. I will use an RRS tripod, with either the Arca C1 Cube or the Burzynski “Protec” ball head on it. The unremovable tripod foot on the NOCT lens, as mentioned, is OK, not as sturdy as it could be. I mounted an Arca quick release plate on the foot and the stability of the foot is not quite as unmoving as I would like for stacking images. It is just inside of the limit that I would complain about, so I am not quite complaining.

The hood allows for a clear filter to be mounted within it but, because the lens moves, it will not allow external filter holders to be mounted except in a very limited range of motion. This will be a serious problem for some photographers.

The bokeh is probably the best I have ever used, with its 11 blades and very fast aperture, smooth and subtle. 

As someone who stacks focus, this is a perfect lens because it allows me to shoot wide open and have a lovely out-of-focus background. Then, using the very narrow slice of focus at f/0.95, I can paint focus on objects in the foreground, stacking layers of focus to create whatever I want to be in perfect focus. Since it is 58mm, this additional wideness allows for subjects with considerable context surrounding them. I wish it were a macro lens since it is already quite flat, but we can’t have everything. I am glad it can do what it does.

This lens does NOT take extensions well at all, although I don’t have an extension available to me that is ultra-thin. If you know of one, let me know, but even then, it would be like painting graffiti on a Ferrari.

In summary, the lens is for me a keeper. I will use it for much of my in-studio work and when spring arrives, slap on a clear lens, and take it outside, but not too far because of its weight.

I would like to hear from other users with their experience of this lens.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2019, 18:32:34 »
is it 11 or 12 blades?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2019, 19:00:07 »
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2019, 19:36:14 »
sorry, 11 blades.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2019, 21:25:22 »
I wonder if anyone noticed the 58/0.95 lens has an entrance pupil of 61mm, which is almost exactly the same as an 85/1.4 lens. Obviously the angle of view is different but the ability to separate a subject from the background should be similar...

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2019, 16:04:50 »
I agree on the must have but the lens is way beyond any serious consideration financially, so i content myself with the 105/1.4, 200/2 and a few more extraordinary lenses i managed to have picked along the way, thanks ;)
it appears to be  a fine lens (despite two known downsides - aperture pattern visible when not fully stopped down and once again as Michael said a not optimal tripod support) furthermore there are a lot of promising pics here. There are more expensive lenses out there (like the fast supertele gallery) so the Z-Noct is not outstanding in this aspect but 5x mm just isnt my favorite focal range. I consider the 200/2 which has also superior bokeh more useful, so I think for 58 mm the old Noct will do it for the upcoming future.
i would wish for an exchangeable tripod foot btw
Wolfgang Rehm

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2019, 00:35:53 »
I don't have the technical knowledge of many of the photographers here (read probably all), I'm curious however why Nikon chose this particular focal length for such a fast lens, any ideas?
Tony Oaten

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2019, 13:55:07 »
As for the NOCT95, there is not a lot of reason to use this lens for high-aperture images. The moment I lose the bokeh, there is still the sharpness, but I have many sharp lenses for high-aperture shooting. I am sure different photographers will have different ways of using this lens.

IMO, wide-open is the only way (or most usual) way I will use the NOCT95. The ability to separate a subject from a background bokeh is what this lens is made for, as far as my work goes (portraits of flowers). It would be ideal for product photography, where a more subtle tone needs to be established. In-the-studio work (products) is made for a lens like this and a certain style of portrait photography would also make sense.

Since I specialize in close-up nature photography (with very little macro), I will use this lens to provide context because of the 58mm focal length. And I will use it wide open for the bokeh, and then paint focus on foreground subjects by stacking focus. This lens seems ideal for that recipe. 

Here is an image with just three stacked shots, using f/5.6, just to see how that goes. It is OK, but without the incredible bokeh wide-open, many other lenses would suffice.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2019, 17:59:36 »
I don't have the technical knowledge of many of the photographers here (read probably all), I'm curious however why Nikon chose this particular focal length for such a fast lens, any ideas?

I believe it is more difficult to implement high quality at wide apertures in wide angle lenses, though the 28/1.4 AF-S is excellent (but not f/0.95 ...). 58mm may have been chosen out of tradition (the original Noct was a 58mm f/1.2). A shorter lens probably will be very challenging to make at f/0.95 or faster. 58mm is a good choice for 1/2 body or full body portraits; my favorite for full body is 45mm. It's quite traditional to use a fast normal lens for low light photography.  At longer focal lengths such a wide aperture is probably not needed as e.g. the 105/1.4 and 200/2 render very blurred-out backgrounds (though the 105/1.4 hopefully will have less pronounced cats' eyes in a Z mount implementation of the future) in typical situations, and a 105mm f/0.95 would be impractical and very heavy indeed.

I don't know what Nikon's plans are but I suspect they will offer some fast wide angle primes for Z. This is an area where I think the Z would have a significant advantage. They have also suggested they may make faster than f/0.95 lenses.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2019, 19:20:16 »
Here is another test, this time with a three-dimensional statue, in the case the great Mahasiddha Tilopa of the Mahamudra lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. This is a stacked image, but only of a few layers, highlighting specific parts of the statue, leaving the rest to be bokeh of one kind of another.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2019, 15:09:52 »
That may be due to the size and weight of the lens. The specs make no mention of internal or rear focusing so I assume it is unit focusing, so that is a lot of glass to move. Hopefully it loosens up with use. It might be worth trying to rig up some sort of focus tab or lever on the lens, similar to the screw-in focus handles supplied with the 1000/11 reflex - it would give you a bit more leverage on the focus ring giving you easier and finer control.

I tried a follow-focus ribbed lens cog, one that has a little lever on it. The lever is not worth messing with, but the cog itself is a help, The cog is like a little lever.

Also, here is another statue from Nepal, this one of the Mahasiddha Naropa. The second rupa is the Mahasiddha Saraha.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2019, 20:25:21 »
The iris looks amazing, Michael!

By the way, I wonder if the reciprocity between the aperture and shutter speed is kept at the apertures wider than f1.2...  If I understand correctly, the reciprocal failure kicks in when the lens is faster than f1.2 because of the limitation of the speed of the micro lenses on the sensor...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2019, 20:41:28 »
The iris looks amazing, Michael!

By the way, I wonder if the reciprocity between the aperture and shutter speed is kept at the apertures wider than f1.2...  If I understand correctly, the reciprocal failure kicks in when the lens is faster than f1.2 because of the limitation of the speed of the micro lenses on the sensor...

Not sure i understand. Please explain if you have time. I tent to shoot wide open

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2019, 21:33:56 »
Not sure i understand. Please explain if you have time. I tent to shoot wide open

My question was directed to anyone who has the hands-on experience with the Neo-Noct, but I would appreciate if you would perform a test to make sure of this aspect of the optical wonder.

Theoretically and practically, the relationship between the aperture setting and the shutter speed for the same exposure value is constant.  For example, 1/2000sec.@f1.4=1/1000@2.0=1/500@2.8, etc.  That is obvious.  But, because the physical opening (the speed) of the microlenses image sensor is said to be f1.2, the same relationship won't apply when the attached lens is faster than f1.2.

You may want to refer to this review of a budget 50mm/f1.1 lens by Christopher Frost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt2mNFxdDI
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira