Author Topic: Tripod Umbrella - Any Tips?  (Read 5161 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Tripod Umbrella - Any Tips?
« on: October 05, 2019, 00:19:05 »
As I mentioned in another thread, I will be in Poland all November and looking to do a lot of shooting.  As it is a drizzly month there, I am expecting to be shooting during plenty of light rain and want to get together some sort of umbrella setup for my tripod.  Anyone have experience setting up an umbrella rig for one's tripod?  I am all ears, thanks!
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Tripod Umbrella - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:17:27 »
I have no experience with the umbrella fixed on the tripod, but I would discard the idea.  The umbrella should only work as a camera blur generator even in the slight breeze.  I would look at the camera raincoat by various brands to choose from.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 11:02:46 »
Agree with Akira: don't put an umbrella on the same tripod as the camera. Alternatives are using another tripod for the umbrella and fixing it with a Manfrotto clamp or similar, having an assistant hold the umbrella (the best option), put "rainwear" on your camera/lens, or stay indoors during the downpour.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 19:38:14 »
Worse even than causing vibration and shaking, an umbrella attached to a tripod can catch the wind, taking the rig over onto the ground. Best would be the assistant w/umbrella plus protective clothing for the camera.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 22:29:36 »
Agreed to what is said here, Isarfoto offered big "PROTEC" umbrellas that werent very useful. Burzynsky had a very small umbrella that minimized this tendency (at the price of reduced rain protection) but cant completely eliminate it in ptinciple.
Wolfgang Rehm

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 23:09:39 »
Noted.  Looks like my wife will come in handy.  ::)
-Tristin

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 15:45:19 »
This was the solution used on the first Nikongear visit to the Lofoten Islands.

The object was to tempt a bird to take the bread, and photograph it using a remote control.

Unfortunately there was too much rain even for the local birds.
Anthony Macaulay

Bear Dale

• NG Member
  • Big kid in the guise of an adult
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:10:31 »
Tristan is a second tripod to much trouble for you to lug around on your trip? That way you could attach the umbrella to that and cut down on vibrations and the fear of your camera hitting the ground?