Author Topic: Spending November in Poland - Recommended Visits?  (Read 14557 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Spending November in Poland - Recommended Visits?
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:00:23 »
My wife and I will be in Poland for the entirety of November, know anywhere we should go or anything we should see?  Let me Know!  I promise a large number of images in exchange for you knowledge.  ;)

Edit: We will be renting a car, and have an airbnb homebase in Krakov.
-Tristin

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: Spending November in Poland - Recommended Visits?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:44:41 »
I visited the South of Poland 15 years ago, and loved it !

We travelled from Krakow toward the South, visiting the Tatras, a well known mountainous area along Slovakia border. Lovely villages with wooden houses, like log cabins, nicely decorated. We stayed in a little picturesque village named Chochołów, toward Zakopane at the foot of the mountains. the village is near the Slovakian border, the river Dunajek parting both countries, just cross the bridge to access Slovakia.

Don't miss Krakow ! Beautiful town with superb architecture, museums and colours. Less tourists in November, but still animated location.
Around the town, there are castles to visit, salt mines, and Auschwicht concentration camp (Oświęcim in Polish), but a visit there might be a sorrowful moment ...

Then, you can go toward East, (Nowy Sacz, Sanok, Przemyśl), near Ukrainian border. We tried to go there, but we gave-up, due to length of the queue...

I don't know the rest of Poland, but I am sure there are many more interesting things to see. ;)

Have a nice trip there !
Francis.

Francis Devrainne

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 21:30:14 »
Krakow and Warsaw-it is standard!

Are you travelling by car?

Another standard-Torun, town of Copernicus, Tri-City: North part of country-famous Gdansk-Solidarity legend, Gdynia-another port and kurort Sopot...

I am located in Brodnica, ca 50ks East of Torun...

Any particular point of interes? Architecture? Theater? Music?

Give me a shout, I my help!

Andrew
Andrew Iwanowski

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 22:55:37 »
Andrew, we are interested primarily in churches (for attending and shooting), culture and nature.  We have a homebase in Krakov, and will be in Warsaw for National Independence Day.  Will be renting a car for the month.

Thanks for the offer!
-Tristin

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 20:40:55 »
Sorry, I didn't have NikonGear for few days, why-I don't now.

Any way Nov 11 may be "hot" in Warsaw, judging by last year will be a lot of very right wings people and some clashes... Last year police didn't control properly situation.

I may be in Warsaw...

And
Andrew Iwanowski

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 22:27:44 »
Any way Nov 11 may be "hot" in Warsaw, judging by last year will be a lot of very right wings people and some clashes...

All good, I am a Christian Nationalist (pure-blooded Nazi monster according to the media/leftists, lol) and have been in plenty of Oakland 'protests' involving tear gas and rubber bullets.  Not that I want to be involved in any scuffles at all, quite the contrary, I will just be there to witness and photograph, but I am not afraid of such possibilities.  I will be scouting out the perfect vantage point to get a shot of the red flares.  Just for clarity's sake, I am not a political person.

Andrew, any advice for car rental in Poland for November?  Should I get a vehicle with four wheel drive and tire chains, or will a regular car be fine?  Thanks!
-Tristin

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 23:34:11 »
Tire chains?? Are you joking??

No, no problem with front wheel drive, will be some miserable weather with temperature in range -2 up to 10C, a lot of drizzle, rain and other not to pleasant staff.

Enjoy the visit!

And
Andrew Iwanowski

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:32:13 »
Tire chains?? Are you joking??

Wasn't sure if chances of snow brought tire chain requirements.  Many places in America, roads will require tire chains for passage when there is snow.
-Tristin

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:36:42 »
Too bad you are not going a month earlier. Many parts of the country are in beautiful fall colors in October. Mazury was my favorite destination. Śląsk is another interesting region and it is not too far from Kraków. Like Andrew mentioned, Toruń is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities if you do not mind long driving. And don't forget about the salt mine in Wieliczki :)

Cheers,
Zang

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 10:01:46 »
Yes! I forgotten about Wieliczka, that "frog jump" from Krakow!

And
Andrew Iwanowski

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 22:20:18 »
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 23:15:40 »
Torun has the Copernicus museum. Well worth a visit.