Author Topic: A sad sign  (Read 10360 times)

ianwatson

A sad sign
« on: September 25, 2019, 03:54:12 »
The owner of this horse farm died unexpectedly. This sign by his gate used to hang there but was taken down and left leaning where you see it.

Tristin was kind enough to offer some suggestions for processing a photograph to evoke nostalgia. I tried to apply them here. What do you think?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: A sad sign
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 08:08:28 »
I like the angle and framing but would suggest; Crop to the bottom of the frame and and convert to B&W
Erik Lund

ianwatson

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 20:30:50 »
Thank you, Erik. Like this?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 20:47:58 »
Have to agree with Erik on BW.  The subject of this image, from what you've said, is the removed sign and it's story.  Converting to BW will reduce distraction from the blues/greens and focus attention on where you want it.  Also helps in giving a "looking back" feel.

On adding a nostalgic feel to an image, you really have to take the image into consideration.  This might sound nit-picky, but casting nostalgia on this particular image doesn't work well due to the fact that the sign has been taken down.  It doesn't invite you to reminisce about when the owner and his horse farm lived, but confronts you with the present in which neither do.  Which is why BW is a good option, as it draws attention to the removed sign.  Were the sign still up, it would be a different story.

Always decide what the focus of the image is, and choose your PP towards that end. 
-Tristin

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 22:19:04 »
Thank you, Erik. Like this?

IMO, even though I am the least talented person that I know, WRT composition, I feel compelled to say that this BW conversion, along with the crop that Erik suggested, is a much better image!   ;)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:28 »
Yet another vote for the B&W version.  The viewers' attention is more attracted to the message in the pleasant scene.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:24 »
I agree that the B&W serves the intent better.  The only thing that might be better would be to wait for some kind of fabulous natural light or perhaps gloomy clouds.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 10:03:14 »
FYI, the sign shown, is the burn mark of the Hannoveraner Horse breed.

https://www.hannoveraner.com/

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 11:15:25 »
Thanks, yes and then add grain to give it more of a film look.
Erik Lund

ianwatson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 19:06:40 »
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. When I took the photograph I was trying to make the sign look a little lost and forlorn. Now I see that it just ended up being lost in the composition.

MFloyd, that makes a lot of sense. Most of the horses there were either Hanoverian, Dutch Warm Blood or a cross of the two. This forum is a mine of interesting information!

Here is the final version of the photograph with the grain that Erik suggested.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:55 »
If the sign was not fixed you could have put it on the ground to emphasize  the  derelict nature of the enterprise ( and put it back )
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 19:13:37 »
B&W and cropped works well  8)

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3