Author Topic: Start of Z-mount manual focus lenses ?  (Read 11552 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Start of Z-mount manual focus lenses ?
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:20:58 »
Sometimes, I wish Nikon had something like that - native, compact MF lenses for Z mount :
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/16/this-chinese-brightin-star-55mm-f-1-8-lens-for-nikon-z-mount-is-99.aspx/#more-138484

Looking at the price, I'd be ready to give that one a try (with relatively low expections, and lots of room for a pleasant surprise).

I guess there is no aperture follower. There seem to be no electrical contacts on the rear mount.

I would have expected a simpler, more symmetrical lens formula. Added complexity plus low price raise doubts on my side.

By the way, my first hands-on experience with a Nikon Z7 was using the Noct and a 50mm Summicron-R. Nice pairings, even though the adapter adds to the bulk.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Start of Z-mount manual focus lenses ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:45:32 »
The more popular the Z cameras become, the more third party brands will be interested in offering Z mount lenses.  What is good about the full manual lenses is that the manufacturers don't need to worry about the compatibility in the electric domain.  If they don't need to care about it, the lens can be made cheaper.

On the user side, whether you can live without the EXIF data recording and whether you can focus with the lens wide open and then stop down without frustration would be the two major factors to consider.

I'm not sure if Nikon has disclosed or lisenced their proprietary info on the electric system of Z mount to third party manufacturers.  No one has released or at least announced the release of the fully compatible AF lenses yet?

Apparently, Nikon is currently more into cooperating with video industry rather than the third party lens companies.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:08:55 »
Sometimes, I wish Nikon had something like that - native, compact MF lenses for Z mount :
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/16/this-chinese-brightin-star-55mm-f-1-8-lens-for-nikon-z-mount-is-99.aspx/#more-138484

Looking at the price, I'd be ready to give that one a try (with relatively low expections, and lots of room for a pleasant surprise).

I guess there is no aperture follower. There seem to be no electrical contacts on the rear mount.

I would have expected a simpler, more symmetrical lens formula. Added complexity plus low price raise doubts on my side.

By the way, my first hands-on experience with a Nikon Z7 was using the Noct and a 50mm Summicron-R. Nice pairings, even though the adapter adds to the bulk.

f/1.8-lens with a MTF-chart at f/1.4 ... interesting ... doesn't the price speak for bad glass, bad mechanics, bad coating?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:33:35 »
It's all about how it renders the scene for lenses like this one,,, If one has a special need for such a look,,, in such a compact package ;)

Yes intriguing MTF diagram,,,,  ::) :o
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:34:57 »
... and, according to the same MTF chart, performance at f/1.4 is better than at f/5.6.

My oh my.
Airy Magnien

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 16:36:20 »
no thanks, ill just stick with my LTM Nikkors :o :o :o

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 17:23:58 »
I would like to see more affordable MF lenses for the Z line!
Manually focusing is easy with the mirrorless cameras, especially for someone with less than average eye sight. I thought about the Viltrox 20mm but did not buy it because of the sample variation risk.
Peter

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 18:35:31 »
With the plethora of manual 50s available, I'm surprised new ones continue to hit the market.

If only Nikon began a range of manual Z primes.  A handful of pancake lenses would pair so well with the Zs.  I'm aware I am an outlier, but it's a shame that even though I just purchased a Z6, Nikon will not be getting lens money from me.  I would suffer an AF focus ring if the lens was good, but fly-by-wire?  Good Lord no.
-Tristin

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 19:47:11 »
With the plethora of manual 50s available, I'm surprised new ones continue to hit the market.

If only Nikon began a range of manual Z primes.  A handful of pancake lenses would pair so well with the Zs.  I'm aware I am an outlier, but it's a shame that even though I just purchased a Z6, Nikon will not be getting lens money from me.  I would suffer an AF focus ring if the lens was good, but fly-by-wire?  Good Lord no.

Outlier += 1
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 20:02:21 »
I purchased a similar concept lens for my Fujifilm X.  It was a "Meike" 35/1.8 of Chinese manufacture, sold for US$90 new.  Optically, it's useable. Mechanically, it's pretty bad.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 22:46:16 »
It's basically a standard double-gauss design, but with an extra convex element out front. Given the variety of optical designs we have these days, it is reasonably simple and symmetrical, overall not unlike the AI 50/1.4 or AI 50/1.8. Close focus limit is similar too, so nothing outstanding here, except that you can mount it direct to your Z camera instead of using the AI lens with FTZ adaptor.

Note, even the Z 50/1.8 is a double-gauss lens at heart, the central 6 elements follow the classic design, but with extra elements front and rear.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 22:58:12 »
You are certainly right, but I'd have expected, for the price, and even simpler 6/4 design, the kind that has proven successful on rangefinder cameras, if I'm not mistaken. One of my best F-mount fifties (Summicron R) is also a 6/4 design, the two lanthanium elements being the sole unusual feature...
Airy Magnien

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 02:57:37 »
look at the MTF charts...looks like the guy who did it is either as busy as me or is abusing recreational substance :o :o :o

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 04:45:07 »
look at the MTF charts...looks like the guy who did it is either as busy as me or is abusing recreational substance :o :o :o

I'm sure the company's inability to produce a plausible MTF chart has no correlation with their competence at designing optical instruments.  ::)
-Tristin

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 07:18:49 »
There are small options with existing 45/50mm lenses on the Z6/Z7   like the 45 p  and the 50/1.8 pancake.  Also the E-series are pretty small (in 28mm and 35mm too.)  The Nikkors  20mm f/4.0,  f/3.5 and f/2.8 Ai-S  are also very compact.

earlier posted in -september 2019  https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8828.0