Author Topic: Nikon and the "new normal"  (Read 3416 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Nikon and the "new normal"
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:01:14 »
This article: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/11/the-new-normal-nikon-has-not-announced-a-real-camera-in-more-than-12-months.aspx/
really makes me wonder.

Being the happy owner of a Df since 2014, I do not quite see the point. What is this rat race all about ?

There have been many camera releases these last years. What made a negative impression was not the frequency, but rather the impression that half-baked products too often hit the stores. Examples: D800 AF issues ; D600 oil spill (and, concerning lenses: 300/4 PF stabilization issues, etc.).

I'd rather expect each new camera, especially from a brand such as Nikon (and putting aside P&S or bridge cameras), to potentially become a "classic", given the current maturity of sensors and electronics.

Obviously, I am getting old. Besides, I never understood marketing.

Ah and by the way, my son still enjoys using my D700, acquired in 2009. That one was a another classic, it seems.
Airy Magnien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon and the "new normal"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:01 »
Well, if you have a site which depends on new products to be released frequently to get traffic, then you have a problem if new products are rarely launched. From a user's point of view, I think  it is better to launch fewer but very well-thought-out products.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 14:15:43 »
Well, if you have a site which depends on new products to be released frequently to get traffic, then you have a problem if new products are rarely launched. From a user's point of view, I think  it is better to launch fewer but very well-thought-out products.

Exactly!  And the hastily done reviews that they often publish do not help very much either.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 21:50:16 »
Nikon must meet both requirements
Avoid the relase of flimsy products but they need to keep track with the opponents and earn enough money to be able to develop new products. Being idle is dangerous especially in a now shrinking market.
Wolfgang Rehm

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:39:35 »
I think it can also be seen as a strong point for Nikon not joining the silly rat race of continuously issuing 'new' models. 

Cyril

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04:31 »
Wait..
the article itself states that Nikon announced the development of the Nikon D6, just because it was expected doesn't mean it doesn't count, does it? That's the professional, sports and wildlife photography market. So it's safe to say the F mount is going to be around for yeaaaaars despite the new Z series.

Nikon has pro, prosumer and entry-level DSLR. They also have compacts and now they've entered the mirrorless market. However it doesn't seem that they hope to convince their professional consumers to switch to mirrorless (some features like battery grip with buttons, dual card slot are missing) ... so their plans aren't clear, besides entering a very, very competitive market..

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 23:40:05 »
... and as long I can get my Df repaired, I'll be happy :)
Airy Magnien