Author Topic: Thom Hogan - feedback on (only) Z Nikon cameras on safari  (Read 4046 times)

chambeshi

Thom Hogan - feedback on (only) Z Nikon cameras on safari
« on: September 10, 2019, 20:42:39 »
Particularly interesting because this guy shoots multiple systems: Canon, Nikon, Sony and also Olympus. And in the case of CaNikon, both DSLR and MILC. Sound synopsis. I for one hope Nikon act on one primary criticism. He could not paraphrased the Showstopper better: "Biggest real issue is one I've noted in my review, book, and other comments: you can't combine AF-ON with an AF Area Mode change (e.g. on thumb stick press). "

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/a-nikon-mirrorless-safari.html

Among the concluding comments: "But bottom line: going all Nikon mirrorless didn't cause me any issues, and I'm very pleased with the results. Why Nikon can't get that message out clearly, I don't know. I do note that the other pros I know using the Z's are also happy with them, too. "

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Thom Hogan - feedback on (only) Z Nikon cameras on safari
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 22:04:07 »
A very positive review, thank you for posting.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 22:14:32 »
Particularly interesting because this guy shoots multiple systems: Canon, Nikon, Sony and also Olympus. And in the case of CaNikon, both DSLR and MILC. Sound synopsis. I for one hope Nikon act on one primary criticism. He could not paraphrased the Showstopper better: "Biggest real issue is one I've noted in my review, book, and other comments: you can't combine AF-ON with an AF Area Mode change (e.g. on thumb stick press). "

http://www.sansmirror.com/ne…/a-nikon-mirrorless-safari.html

Among the concluding comments: "But bottom line: going all Nikon mirrorless didn't cause me any issues, and I'm very pleased with the results. Why Nikon can't get that message out clearly, I don't know. I do note that the other pros I know using the Z's are also happy with them, too. "

Here's a line that caught my eye because of the strong praises that Hogan has had for the 850.

"Using a D850 would be a better idea. Nein. "
Carl

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:56 »
Rational thinking.

" The EVF coupled with magnification makes a better-than-spotting scope (or binoculars) scanning device.
  The EVF allowed me to see what I was doing during near pitch black conditions (I shot the mostly nocturnal Hyenas at ISO 25600 successfully, for example; the following shot was almost an hour after sunset)."

These advantages are all day, all situations valid  ;)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:23 »
Indeed. And as much as I like the Df, I have to admit that guess-focusing in dark places (for which the high quality-, high-ISO sensor is made) is a bit irritating. Nikon could at least have figured out a better focus confirmation system, but with EVFs coming, why bother...

So my conclusions are unaltered, and even reinforced by the above - I'll skip the first Z camera generation and cherish my Df meanwhile, but when the 2nd generation comes, something may happen :)
Airy Magnien

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 15:37:37 »
One more real issue, of what I said about a year ago, here. 4 only screws on the lens mount are not enough.   Nikon is mentioned this in its manuals - do not use big/heavy  lenses handheld without proper support. My friend, shooting sport event, put his Z7/500/4 combo down on the hood. His assistant took it up in the fast manner, did not supporting the lens. Resulting was unusable images. Nikon service said that the body was deformed about 0.5mm, by loosing mount. They fixed, but out of warranty. Watch it, please, when put heavy lenses on your Z cameras.  Good luck!   LZ

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 17:02:40 »
One more real issue, of what I said about a year ago, here. 4 only screws on the lens mount are not enough.   Nikon is mentioned this in its manuals - do not use big/heavy  lenses handheld without proper support. My friend, shooting sport event, put his Z7/500/4 combo down on the hood. His assistant took it up in the fast manner, did not supporting the lens. Resulting was unusable images. Nikon service said that the body was deformed about 0.5mm, by loosing mount. They fixed, but out of warranty. Watch it, please, when put heavy lenses on your Z cameras.  Good luck!   LZ
You should blame the assistent, not Nikon.
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 14:42:40 »
Rational thinking.

" The EVF coupled with magnification makes a better-than-spotting scope (or binoculars) scanning device.
  The EVF allowed me to see what I was doing during near pitch black conditions (I shot the mostly nocturnal Hyenas at ISO 25600 successfully, for example; the following shot was almost an hour after sunset)."

These advantages are all day, all situations valid  ;)
I will just add; Using a Zacuto finder on the rear display of D850 would make this possible as well,,,
Erik Lund

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 17:14:14 »
So my conclusions are unaltered, and even reinforced by the above - I'll skip the first Z camera generation and cherish my Df meanwhile, but when the 2nd generation comes, something may happen :)

Not a bad move.  The current Zs are a step-up technically, but control-wise it seems they were intentionally crippled to boost 2nd gen selling points.  I'd bet Z gen 2 will solve these disabilities.

You really can use the Z6 EVF as nightvision, amusingly, and to incredible benefit when shooting dark shows.  The framerate when zoomed is pretty bad though, so it's ease of use can become quickly limited.
-Tristin

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 18:04:59 »
I will just add; Using a Zacuto finder on the rear display of D850 would make this possible as well,,,
True.  Using Live View and zoom in, is also a great help.  But it are all extra steps, and perhaps more comfortable on a tripod.   

The advantage of Z6/Z7 is the natural implementation of that Zoom in, via the Fn function button which makes a very quick Zoom 100% action possible in all circumstances.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 13:58:07 »
Yes true well implemented in the Z!
On the D850 I have set my 100% zoom for the center push on the focus selector button in Live View - Also on the grip  8)
Erik Lund