Author Topic: Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens announced, with the D6.  (Read 20861 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR Lens announced, with the D6.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 18:39:42 »
Presumably that refers to this unconfirmed leak.

EDIT:

It's interesting that the list includes a 35/1.2 and 85/1.2.  I was just thinking about future Z-mount f/1.2 lenses in the last day or so, and was even going to post something here about that.  We've known all along about the upcoming 50/1.2.  I was going to suggest that the 35/1.2 and 85/1.2 are likely, and maybe even a 105/1.2.  That last one would be audacious, but if it's feasible (i.e. cost not totally extravagant) you can imagine the appeal.

yes. the 1.2-S-Line makes my mouth water ...

35, 50, 85 ... these sell the Z6 or Z9 to me ...

PS: where are the 105ers and the Micro-Nikkors???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 19:27:00 »
My guess is on super refractive too.

This lens is going to be a really good portrait lens as well. Its placement is sort of odd for wildlife, yes.

I don't think it will render the 200/2 obsolete but depending on how well it performs, the hope of 300/2.8E FL could be too much. Not sure about everyone else, but if I had the budget to get one of the two, there's really no reason for me to get the 300/2.8E. Both lenses will sit on my monopod, why not have the versatility of a zoom? Unless Nikon is able to make the 300/2.8E weigh the same as a 70-200, handholding for long periods isn't going to be an option for me and frankly most people. I did handhold the 300/2.8 AIS for half a day, let's just say it wasn't a good idea... 
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 20:34:36 »
Apparently, there will be no compact Z lenses at least for a few years to come...
   Too bad... Yes, I agree, this mistake could bi crucial... Small/cheap primes of high quality would re-take the market. But, unfortunately, I am not a Nikon's top officer, what is a real surprise for me...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 21:07:00 »
Apparently, there will be no compact Z lenses at least for a few years to come...

yes, a compact APO 2.8/45 or, let us be bold, a 3.5/50S pancake would be great. Everyone would guess you carry a cheapo compact, but it i a real full frame professional setup underdressed.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 23:30:40 »
Nikon have stated in the launch events of the Z system that there will be other lines that will be less expensive (than the premium S-line) and this has been quoted by reputable web sites (I was not there). It's not speculation when it is coming from Nikon, it speaks of their intention. They have also said that  the Z6 and Z7 are "high end" and there will be lower priced camera bodies as well.

I think it will happen quite soon, within 1 year. This is because the number of people who want premium optical quality at premium prices are always in the minority, and the viability of a system cannot be based on such a small group of buyers. There will have to be a DX camera in the Z system and accompanying lenses to get a lens and camera kit within $1000. This taps into a huge number of potential buyers.
We have got a roadmap not showing anything compact - but some kind of "more of the same". But maybe this roadmap is not for Z but just for S-lines and the release of other more compact series is independent (has its own not yet published roadmap).
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 09:46:49 »
A 300/2.8 FL can be much lighter than a 120-300/2.8. Canon's 300/2.8 is 2.4kg, whereas Sigma's 120-300/2.8 (though not using fluorite) is about 3.4kg.

Furthermore because a prime can be highly corrected with a smaller number of elements, there would most likely be less flare and ghosting, and a lower t-stop. Also it is typical that the out-of-focus rendering is not as nice in zooms as it is in (non-PF) primes. Autofocus can be faster in a prime because there is more flexibility in making an optical design where the focus group is light weight. Teleconverters typically work better with a prime than a zoom.

I would prefer Nikon to update the 200/2 and 300/2.8 to FL versions and do it sooner than later. But for the moment there is this 120-300/2.8 coming and I do understand that it is better for Nikon to not launch a 300/2.8 prime at the same time so that both lenses get their time in the spotlight.

I don't own the current 300/2.8; I do have the 200/2 II which has similar weight. I typically use it hand held because I need to follow rapid movement. Although I can feel it in my neck after I've used the 200/2 to shoot for a few hours hand-held, I have not had any more severe after-effects from using it. A 120-300/2.8 would most likely require me to use a monopod or tripod as it would be a longer and possibly (but not certainly) a heavier lens. I don't mind the use of a camera support per se, but its use requires some space and a monopod intrinsically frees movement around its axis of rotation but limits movement up/down. I never liked to use a monopod for that reason (I prefer to have the same freedom of movement up and down as left and right). A monopod with gimbal might work well though, but is a larger construction.

For me a 2.4kg 300/2.8 would definitely be much easier to work with from the hand-holdability point of view than a (say) 2.9-3.2 kg 120-300/2.8. Yes, the zoom feature would be invaluable, but in my opinion it doesn't eliminate the need for a prime.

Depending on the cost of the 120-300/2.8 it may still be an option for me, but my preference would have been a prime.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 19:24:10 »
If it is good or better I will sure get one when my construction is finished. I am really interested in the weight/performance relation. After my construction job, the price is a smaller issue ... currently I have to be careful with every penny

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 19:37:57 »
yes, a compact APO 2.8/45 or, let us be bold, a 3.5/50S pancake would be great. Everyone would guess you carry a cheapo compact, but it i a real full frame professional setup underdressed.

My vote would go to a compact, +/- apo MF 50/2 with close focus ability (1:4). A kind of compromize lens, so probably not marketable.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 02:03:46 »
My vote would go to a compact, +/- apo MF 50/2 with close focus ability (1:4). A kind of compromize lens, so probably not marketable.

The new Sigma 45/2.8 DG DN can be the closest candidate, if they make a Z-mount version.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:43 »
And what about Micro-Nikkors?

One if the most useful lenses of all time was the 70-180 mm Micro-Nikkor. Nikon: Just do it. Or a MF 105 APO Micro that beats the Lantars and Otusses. Nikon can do it, if they want, look at the older AMED Series for the Large Format.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 09:55:20 »
I would like to see the PC-E lenses updated, at least with better mechanics. Canon updated their entire line of tilt-shift lenses a while ago with the addition of a 135mm, Nikon haven't updated any since I don't know when. All they did was add a very pricey (and good) 19mm. I like the 24 since it does 1:2.4ish close focus, but the mechanics can be way better. The tiny knobs and latches are frustrating to work on, not being able to tilt and shift on the same axis without modification is also a bummer.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:01 »
The 24 PC's shift locking mechanism could definitely use a remake. There is however no such issue on the 45mm or 85mm. While more liberal movements are beneficial, the cost also seems to go up. I would be happy to see improvements in the PC-E lineup, of course, as well as a 135mm.  In fact any new Nikon 135mm, AF-S 135/2.8, AF-S 135/2.0, AF-S 135/4, PC 135/4, etc. it would show that Nikon recognize that that focal length exists.  ;)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 21:04:20 »
And what about Micro-Nikkors?

One if the most useful lenses of all time was the 70-180 mm Micro-Nikkor. Nikon: Just do it. Or a MF 105 APO Micro that beats the Lantars and Otusses. Nikon can do it, if they want, look at the older AMED Series for the Large Format.

I second that. Nikon sucks when it comes to new glass for Macro capability. The 60mm is good, the 105mmVR ambiguous, nothing longer in AF-S (no 180/200mm, no zoom ...) no attempt to go in the Voigltänder, Zeiss league (though nikon is indeed capable of and would support both it image as well as its sellings). Nothing like the Canon 65 mm that goes way beyond 1:1. That was the F-System
The Nikon 1 -nothing
The Nikon Z- Zero macro (Canon RF offers the  35 mm)

Missed chances
Wolfgang Rehm

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 12:59:32 »
The 24 PC's shift locking mechanism could definitely use a remake. There is however no such issue on the 45mm or 85mm. While more liberal movements are beneficial, the cost also seems to go up. I would be happy to see improvements in the PC-E lineup, of course, as well as a 135mm.  In fact any new Nikon 135mm, AF-S 135/2.8, AF-S 135/2.0, AF-S 135/4, PC 135/4, etc. it would show that Nikon recognize that that focal length exists.  ;)

You're right, yes the 45 and 85 doesn't have the problems that exist on the 24. That (likely fake) Z "leaked roadmap" did show a 135mm/1.8 S lens. I'm 80% sure that roadmap is fake though.
I wouldn't really fancy a 135/4 PC-Micro-Nikkor unless is goes to 1:1 and it's able to beat the printing-nikkor 105mm at 1:1. But then, it will likely cost a lot and become a one-trick-pony, as I don't do any portrait stuff. It's definitely too long for food (for me) while travelling, don't want to grab too much weird stares when I snap a food pic.

The 19mm PC-Nikkor however has superior mechanical control compared to both the 45 and 85. I sold my 85mm due to the annoying LoCA and somewhat quirky FL. I like to take photos of food and landscapes when I'm out wandering, I like close-ups as well. The 24 while being great for landscapes and close-ups, it's too wide for food.
Downward tilt, bit too wide.

I am actually considering the last "latest" PC-E Nikkor I've yet to own, the 45mm. It should be wide enough for landscapes, it's marked as a micro-nikkor, and 45 FL should be great for food. I'm not sure if it has the same LOCA issues found on the 85 however, hopefully not! 

chambeshi

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 13:40:15 »
Here is more information, including MTFs for Wide / Tele. The SR element is distinctly slim - appended images

https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/fmount/af-s_nikkor_120-300mm_f28e_fl_ed_sr_vr/spec.html

https://petapixel.com/2020/01/06/nikon-af-s-120-300mm-f-2-8e-fl-ed-sr-vr-a-versatile-9500-pro-lens/

contrary to orthodoxy, this lens should outperform the venerable 300 f2.8G primes for many wildlife subjects. Teleconverters work really will the "latest" 300 f2.8G, for which Nikon optimized the TC2 III. We can expect the new 120-300 f2.8E to match if not better this performance. See Brad Hill's take wrt shooting large mammals at f2.8 with the ability to zoom out to frame his Animalscapes: 11 Feb 2020: More Thoughts on the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E  http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_1

We read the claim "Numerous considerations for ease of use, condensed into a lightweight mobile body...." Well, this zoom weighs 3.25kg (slightly less than the older tank of the Sigma). It's a pity Nikon did not consider a honeycombed chassis used by Canon and Sony in their lighter telephoto primes. No less serious, is where this Nikkor exotic departs from tradition. It lacks the rear-filter apparatus to use a CPL easily; this exotic takes 112mm filters out of reach deep under the hood?!

according to Nikon [added in edit]:

"The optical system uses one newly developed SR lens in addition to one ED lens and two fluorite lenses. Chromatic aberration has been greatly reduced, and high expression power equivalent to a single focus 300mm lens has been achieved in both resolution and blur throughout the zoom range."

SR lens [NEW]
"A lens that uses Nikon's proprietary special high-dispersion glass, which has the property of refracting light with wavelengths shorter than blue. By controlling light with short wavelengths that are difficult to correct, light of each wavelength can be condensed to a higher degree, enabling highly accurate chromatic aberration correction. In addition, since it can be used in the same way as ordinary optical glass, the degree of freedom in lens configuration is improved, and it contributes to downsizing and weight reduction of the lens while realizing high optical performance."

"Despite being a zoom lens that covers a wide focal length range of 120-300mm, it realizes high image quality that can be satisfied by professionals. Especially at infinity with a focal length of 300mm f / 2.8, it offers higher resolution than a single-focus 300mm lens *. In addition, shooting that makes use of the beautiful bokeh of a single focus lens, such as a sports portrait, is also possible."
*Comparison with AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f / 2.8G ED VR II.2