Author Topic: Nikon Rayfact OFM20119MN (PN95) at 2x  (Read 52543 times)

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: Nikon Rayfact OFM20119MN (PN95) at 2x
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:37 »
Impressive Bob, looks like an optics lab!  ;)

need to fire it up again. but I am always interested in the setup especially when someone posts excellent results.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 17:37:46 »
Impressive Bob, looks like an optics lab!  ;)

Don't know about you Klaus, but I quite like this optics lab from elsewhere on Bob's photo page

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 22:38:07 »
Don't know about you Klaus, but I quite like this optics lab from elsewhere on Bob's photo page

the secret ingredient to successful photography.. ;)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 23:46:24 »
the secret ingredient to successful photography.. ;)

Certainly so ... afterwards!! ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 11:11:01 »
here's mine. https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/161259960

That's an impressive setup!
Mine is similar looking, I use a large Newport SG Honeycomb board and my setup is vertical, using thorlabs' 95mm optical rail, XT95B-600 to be exact. I don't use speedlights.
I rebuild put mine into a horizontal setup in 5 minutes, that orientation is usually used for experiments for my job.

I'd suggest SM2 tubes, the SM2 collar, and a cheap long arca-swiss rail for the tubing, allows centre of gravity to be placed in the middle instead of at the back. You will have to flock the tubes yourself. I roll flocking adhesives and put them in, simple.

Goniometers are nice, I have a dozen of those but have yet to incorporate them into my setup.

I also see a polariser, presumably it goes in front of the objective? For objectives, that's not a good idea. Get some cheap film, cut them, and tape one to the back of the objevtive adapter; also polarise the lights.
Rotating the polariser is going to be difficult, this should work nicely (attachment).
Just use double sided tape and put it onto the cover, allows rotation. I have one of these for the SB-910 speedlights I used to own.

One major annoyance of such a large setup is dust. Even though mine is used daily, dust builds up. I'm going to order a cover from China when I can be bothered or get too annoyed with cleaning weekly.

Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 12:31:44 »
I also see a polariser, presumably it goes in front of the objective? For objectives, that's not a good idea. Get some cheap film, cut them, and tape one to the back of the objevtive adapter; also polarise the lights.
Rotating the polariser is going to be difficult, this should work nicely (attachment).
Just use double sided tape and put it onto the cover, allows rotation. I have one of these for the SB-910 speedlights I used to own.

you are correct that the polarizer in the setup was placed there for storage.. and it never worked when I did try and use it.. poorly thought out but I saw it on eBay and through I would give it a try... I will investigate your link and I have purchased film since I first posted that picture but have yet to try it.

some of my results.. https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/new_macro_trials

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 20:44:49 »
you are correct that the polarizer in the setup was placed there for storage.. and it never worked when I did try and use it.. poorly thought out but I saw it on eBay and through I would give it a try... I will investigate your link and I have purchased film since I first posted that picture but have yet to try it.

some of my results.. https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/new_macro_trials
Nice stacks! I like the somewhat harsh lighting too.

Here's a polarised light 20x stack, which sucks:

Depth is lacking and the entire thing looks flat and boring. It's pretty hard to get it right, and trying to fix a problem with something that brings more problems isn't really working. I need to experiment more.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 21:18:41 »
Here's a polarised light 20x stack, which sucks:

Depth is lacking and the entire thing looks flat and boring. It's pretty hard to get it right, and trying to fix a problem with something that brings more problems isn't really working. I need to experiment more.

Is this a closeup of scales of a morpho butterfly?  Looks like an extremely challenging subject of complicated structure.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 03:03:04 »
Is this the same? If so, $1 seems a bit of a bargain.

http://www.easycnc.org/industrial-lens/nikon/lens-rayfact-ofm20119mn.html

Ah, looking deeper I discovered this:

“For products price$1.00 at the website, it means PRICE TO BE CONFIRMED and will be updated later. If you are interested in the products, please kindly contact us for more details and best offers!!!!!

The pictures in the product page are all taken in kind and displaying the actual condition of the product itself.

All the products listed at the website, both NEW and USED, are in good working condition for your satisfaction.”

But it may be worth a punt for folks with more than $1 to spend!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 11:35:41 »
Well, that site allowed me to purchase the lens for $1. Whether this is a scam will surface in due time. However, I did get an order confirmation at that price point ....

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2023, 19:37:33 »
Well, that site allowed me to purchase the lens for $1. Whether this is a scam will surface in due time. However, I did get an order confirmation at that price point ....

You are braver than me. I chickened out as soon as I read that info about $1 items.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2023, 22:39:29 »
Well, I paid just $1 + the inevitable surcharge for Fedex. Not risking *that* much and if this pans out to be a purchase-bait then my credit card insurance will cover. I do have an official order confirmation for the lens at $1 ....

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2023, 21:59:15 »
Well, I paid just $1 + the inevitable surcharge for Fedex. Not risking *that* much and if this pans out to be a purchase-bait then my credit card insurance will cover. I do have an official order confirmation for the lens at $1 ....

Any news? ;-)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2023, 22:16:25 »
They refunded my expenses.....

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird