Author Topic: Images from Lake Kissimmee  (Read 4583 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Images from Lake Kissimmee
« on: August 11, 2019, 17:07:59 »
My friend Leroy and I took a trip south to Lake Kissimmee, FL yesterday morning to photograph meadowlarks. They aren't usually found at the lake itself, but along the 4 mile access road to the lake and that is where we found them. The best time of the year to see them is during late March to early April when they are mating and staking out their territories. At that time of the year they are in full song, now, wholly mute. There weren't too many in attendance, but we did manage to get a few shots. We also saw limpets (or perhaps ibis, see the third image-perhaps someone with greater knowledge could positively identify it), sandhill cranes and shrikes. The first three images were taken using Leroy's 800mm Sigma lens at f/5.6 and 1/2500 sec. exposure. ISO for the first two images was 640 and for the third image 220. The remaining images were taken using Leroy's 500mm f/5.6 PF lens. The exposure for all four shots was 1/1250 sec. at f/5.6 , and the ISOs were respectively, 100, 110, 560 and 560. This was my first time using that lens and I was quite impressed with the image quality and background isolation. It is a very nice lens, although significantly heavier than the 300mm f/4 PF. All the images were taken using my Nikon D500 body.

beryllium10

• NG Member
Re: Images from Lake Kissimmee
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 20:36:39 »
Nice!  The photos taken with the 500 mm PF do seem noticeably sharper.  It looks like a very fine lens.  I've twice attempted to rent one from the local camera store for a weekend, but haven't succeeded.  Apparently it's so popular that it's typically booked weeks in advance.
Cheers,  John

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:41:20 »
Nice!  The photos taken with the 500 mm PF do seem noticeably sharper.  It looks like a very fine lens.  I've twice attempted to rent one from the local camera store for a weekend, but haven't succeeded.  Apparently it's so popular that it's typically booked weeks in advance.
Cheers,  John

The images shot with the Sigma lens were shot early in the day when the light was very soft, whereas the images shot with the Nikon lens were shot later when  the sun was considerably higher in the sky, so I’m not sure you can make a direct comparison of the images and say one lens is sharper than the other. Someone who knows more about lens design than I do would have to give you a reading on that. That said, the Nikon lens is certainly very sharp and I was very happy with the images it produced. But, I think renting it before you buy is an excellent idea. Although it is quite light compared to other 500mm lenses, it is still a load to carry around and you might be happier with the 300mm f/4 PF and a 1.4 teleconverter if you can tolerate a little less image quality. You’d also be out of pocket a lot less. You’d give up a little reach, but gain some flexibility in that you could use the telecoverter or not depending on your distance to the target.

CE

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:50:57 »
My friend Leroy and I took a trip south to Lake Kissimmee, FL yesterday morning to photograph meadowlarks. They aren't usually found at the lake itself, but along the 4 mile access road to the lake and that is where we found them. The best time of the year to see them is during late March to early April when they are mating and staking out their territories. At that time of the year they are in full song, now wholly mute. There weren't too many in attendance, but we did manage to get a few shots. We also saw limpets (or perhaps ibis, see the third image-perhaps someone with greater knowledge could positively identify it), sandhill cranes and shrikes. The first three images were taken using Leroy's 800mm Sigma lens at f/5.6 and 1/2500 sec. exposure. ISO for the first two images was 640 and for the third image 220. The remaining images were taken using Leroy's 500mm f/5.6 PF lens. The exposure for all four shots was 1/1250 sec. at f/5.6 , and the ISOs were respectively, 100, 110, 560 and 560. This was my first time using that lens and I was quite impressed with the image quality and background isolation. It is a very nice lens, although significantly heavier than the 300mm f/4 PF. All the images were taken using my Nikon D500 body.
Very nice images.....the 500 PF from all accounts is a very good lens and it shows in your pictures....

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 16:54:02 »
Very nice images.....the 500 PF from all accounts is a very good lens and it shows in your pictures....

Leroy shoots it on his D800 and gets great results, so shooting on your D850, would probably be great as well. That said, it is a little heavy to carry around. It’s a great lens for storing in the back of the car and taking it out when you need it, but not one you’d want to hang around your neck all day walking around Dubai, or anywhere else.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:46 »
Nice shots. I don’t hesitate to go for a full day walking with the 500 PF. It is almost the same weight as the 70-200/2.8  which many use all day long too. Btw, I enjoy it even more at very short distance.
Bruno Schröder