Author Topic: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.  (Read 112415 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2019, 23:28:57 »
Funny, I 'proceeded anyway' just once in Firefox yesterday and there have been no problems since.  No clearing of caches or anything of that sort.  Mystery...
I had already cleared the cookie and re-logged in to NikonGear a few days ago, all was working fine again as far as early morning (NZ time). Then mid morning I had the same problem again. I cleared the cookie again, re-logged in, still wasn't quite right, "proceeded anyway" and it has been fine so far... (using Chrome)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2019, 21:11:35 »
Up till today, I'd not been on NG since I first got the security warning.

I'm rather surprised there isn't a "sticky" post covering the latest status of this issue.
Do we have an ETA when people will no longer see the security warning?

I'd have thought this could impact potential new members from visiting?

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2019, 21:15:28 »
I see now that if we choose to "accept the risk" the warning message no longer appears the next time you try to access the site

Is this why people seem so relaxed about this issue?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2019, 19:27:44 »
I see now that if we choose to "accept the risk" the warning message no longer appears the next time you try to access the site

Is this why people seem so relaxed about this issue?
right, if the site is not going to be secure anyway why keep using https and have to accept the risk by clicking extra screens every so often it is becoming annoying
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2019, 23:05:43 »
I still get the occasional database information, the caches around the world should have been flushed by now, so maybe something is still amiss.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2019, 00:35:57 »
n this laptop with Win 10 and Firefox, if I cancel the security exception, I can get on the main page all right but as soon as I open a sub forum I get the certificate message again and must re-institute the exception. 

I just tried logging in on an Android phone which has never been used for this before, and immediately got the message that the site is not secure and someone might be stealing my information and so forth, even from the opening page.   Definitely not cache or cookies there.

I hope it gets straightened out eventually.  Until then I'll just  have to trust that Birna is not going to sneak in here and steal my stuff!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2019, 01:53:03 »
Birna is not interested. Hopefully Andrea will have completed the move from Middletown, New Jersey to Santa Fe, New Mexico within the middle of the month and be able to turn her boffin capabilities onto the problem. Which, in fact, we know a lot of underlying causes for, but our hands are tied at present.

Do remember NG runs https and the only information needing encryption, viz. the login, is protected even though a browser won't recognise the TLS level of our server.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2019, 10:07:55 »
Terrible problems in UK  ...Certifications don't match etc ..data being stolen etc   can only log in against advice of server.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2019, 20:43:39 »
In a list of messages, there is a little icon on each post to indicate NEW. this icon is not loading for me, showing as broken link.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2019, 20:54:07 »
Try flushing your browser cache.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2019, 19:26:00 »
In a list of messages, there is a little icon on each post to indicate NEW. this icon is not loading for me, showing as broken link.

This is still broken for me, i have done various clearing, private mode, different browser. I don't think the issue is on my end.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2019, 22:22:39 »
It's puzzling. The  icon indicating new (unread) posts shows on all machines I have tried so far.

Initially there were some broken links, but they silently vanished over time.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2019, 23:49:41 »
This is still broken for me, i have done various clearing, private mode, different browser. I don't think the issue is on my end.

Same here, no flushing of the cache works for me, the New icon remains broken (Chrome).

I tried an incognito window, but my login does not work. It seems to recognize the user name, but I have tried all likely password combinations. Same with login on my phone. I wonder if that has something to do with the Norwegian characters in my user name?

Password recovery does not work (as reported, the email notification is broken), so I cannot reset the password. If I somehow get logged out on my main browser (luckily it has stayed logged in for now...), I will be lost.

I have checked that nkongear.net resolves to the new ip number on the nameserver here.
Øivind Tøien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2019, 00:14:14 »
There are some issues to be sorted, obviously. There are still name servers out there that serve the old IP, but their occurrence is on the wane.

I'll start over the weekend to look into getting the mail service going again.

For those having issues logging in, please notify me by email (post @ natur foto graf  . com) so I can reset lost or unusable passwords. I'll do a test log in to check everything works. Don't be alarmed, I'll refrain from posting any stuff on your behalf :)

If we experience further character set issues, I might have to alter the login name -- but of course will keep the screen name of each member affected.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2020, 07:44:27 »
Finally, after the last upgrade I am able to log in again with the password I thought was the correct one to begin with (so not getting senile yet after all  ;D ). However it took clearing the browser cache before it worked. The password recovery that I tried before that did not work, and now that my login is working I do not wish to try again.
Øivind Tøien