Author Topic: Memories of Turkey  (Read 10896 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Memories of Turkey
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 05:53:30 »
David, your work inspires and amazes me

Also the idea of reduction is great. I intend to sell / give away all books I do not intend to read/use any more in my life and all other items that will fall in the "Ballast" kategory like the 2/200VR .... I can easily imagine to keep only 100 Books and the Encyclopedia Britannica.

-----------_-------------
maybe cut here and make new thread?

I can also imagine to keep only three lenses (no, joke!)

let's see:

the 1.8/35G ED ... I do use only as backup lens for work
the 1.8/20G ... a real love affair
the 1.4/35 Ai-S ... I really do not use it other than in rare cases where it is the one go to everywhere lens with my beloved D500
the 3.4/24 PC ... I do not warm to it alt all, I guess it needs new greasing to make operation silky smooth
1.8/85G ... love of my life, this and the 20G on the first two of three positions
1.4/58G ... number three????
2/200VR ... lovely but impractical, could justify it if I would do more sports
4/300PF ... essential lens, every Nikonshooter should be required to own one
1.4/105E ... essential workhorse lens, has a lot of qualities the 2/200VR features but at a barable weight for hiking mountains
2.8/60G ... essential workhorse for shiploads of applications
4/200 Ai-S Micro ... unmatched color fidelity for small food jobs, great price performance and weight

.... to be continued
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 07:05:54 »
David, your work inspires and amazes me

Also the idea of reduction is great. I intend to sell / give away all books I do not intend to read/use any more in my life and all other items that will fall in the "Ballast" kategory like the 2/200VR .... I can easily imagine to keep only 100 Books and the Encyclopedia Britannica.

-----------_-------------
maybe cut here and make new thread?

I can also imagine to keep only three lenses (no, joke!)

let's see:

the 1.8/35G ED ... I do use only as backup lens for work
the 1.8/20G ... a real love affair
the 1.4/35 Ai-S ... I really do not use it other than in rare cases where it is the one go to everywhere lens with my beloved D500
the 3.4/24 PC ... I do not warm to it alt all, I guess it needs new greasing to make operation silky smooth
1.8/85G ... love of my life, this and the 20G on the first two of three positions
1.4/58G ... number three????
2/200VR ... lovely but impractical, could justify it if I would do more sports
4/300PF ... essential lens, every Nikonshooter should be required to own one
1.4/105E ... essential workhorse lens, has a lot of qualities the 2/200VR features but at a barable weight for hiking mountains
2.8/60G ... essential workhorse for shiploads of applications
4/200 Ai-S Micro ... unmatched color fidelity for small food jobs, great price performance and weight

.... to be continued

So far as the photography tools are concerned, thanks to the fact that I'm not professional photographer, I only need a standard lens.  :D  Also, thanks to the abundant megapixels, I can crop the image to achieve some short-tele look.  AND, I can do stitches whenever I need to go wide!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 15:34:13 »
Many thanks to everyone who has posted here, and this time especially to Tim and Frank. Comments such as yours are one of the main reasons I continue to work, and if I inspire you that makes us equal, because you also inspire me.

Frank - I deduce you are not a fan of zoom lenses. My total kit comprises D600 and D800 bodies, a couple of close-up attachments and the following lenses -
1. 18-35 AFS G         
2. 70-200 f4 AFS G      1, 2 and 3 always in the bag.
3. 50 f1.8 AFS G

4. 28 f2 AIS    For astral photography
5. 200-500 AFS G   When I'm feeling strong.

Later.
I started to wonder if I had thrown too much away so, I did a quick check. All the images shot on film and scanned are kept in a separate archive which contains roughly 2700 files. There are many other smaller groups of scans, usually single-subject, here and there on my disk-drives. The total number of scans will certainly exceed 3000. I will be keeping another 3000+ unscanned transparencies from my clear-out, making the total number of images surviving from the film era something like 6500. This number makes me think I am not editing hard enough.    :D   

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 21:55:14 »
Since these shots are not part of a commercial job with specific content requirements or deadlines at hand, the culling process can, and probably should, take more time. Go slow, walk away and then come back later to reassess the 'rejects'.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 00:26:48 »
Since these shots are not part of a commercial job with specific content requirements or deadlines at hand, the culling process can, and probably should, take more time. Go slow, walk away and then come back later to reassess the 'rejects'.

Good advice, Keith - thanks.  I have already put it to use.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 09:12:58 »
Awesome material.
2 and 5 are the best for me.

Agree.  Very impressive series with these colours.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 10:16:08 »
Thanks, John, and Aguinaldo too.