Author Topic: Nikon 24-70mm f4 S  (Read 3870 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Re: Nikon 24-70mm f4 S
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 15:39:37 »
Corner performance is very good. This image shot at 24mm f5.6.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 15:42:40 »
Another one at 24mm f5.6.

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, Saint Petersburg/Russia.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 18:29:07 »
Great images Luc.
The 24-70mm has been a pro photographer' workhorse in any configuration, so common and
nothing special? ;)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 19:08:21 »
IF, I had a Z body, that lens would certainly be the first Z lens that I would choose for it!
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 19:49:49 »
If I had a Z body, that lens would certainly be the first Z lens that I would choose for it!

If  you're getting a Z body then you can get this lens at a 40% discount as part of a kit, at least in the U.S.  I found the f/4 aperture and 70mm upper limit to the zoom range somewhat limiting on my one major outing with this lens late last year, but then I'd been spoiled by shooting with f/1.8 primes previously.  The lens is a very nice compromise between size and quality.  I'd still prefer the outstanding 24-70 f/2.8 except when I need to stay smaller and lighter, or alternately, shooting with primes. I wish Nikon would come out with a 105mm f/1.8 S-series lens.  That would make a nice three-lens kit with the 24mm and 50mm lenses.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 21:31:01 »
If  you're getting a Z body then you can get this lens at a 40% discount as part of a kit, at least in the U.S.  I found the f/4 aperture and 70mm upper limit to the zoom range somewhat limiting on my one major outing with this lens late last year, but then I'd been spoiled by shooting with f/1.8 primes previously.  The lens is a very nice compromise between size and quality.  I'd still prefer the outstanding 24-70 f/2.8 except when I need to stay smaller and lighter, or alternately, shooting with primes. I wish Nikon would come out with a 105mm f/1.8 S-series lens.  That would make a nice three-lens kit with the 24mm and 50mm lenses.

I'm aware of the discount on the 24-70 as a kit lens with the Z6. I'm also aware that some here are not fans of the 24-70. However, that lens is behind many intriguing images posted on this site, and I'm sure that it would please me.

Looking at lens choices that users might pick, it's seldom that you could not cite a better lens to replace it, but  usually at a much higher cost.  ;)
Carl

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 09:58:11 »
I just now see some remarks about this lens, as not their cop of tea.
Maybe we should get some more information regarding the downside of the this f4 lens.
I have been happy with mine, easy to travel with at take pretty sharp images.
Just added one to show, also the out of focus areas.
My great grand son.
Nice capture of your grandson! Great environmental portrait showing the sharpness and fine optical properties of the 24-70 f/4 S ;)
Why the 24-70 f/4 S is not on my inventory,,, Well for my use cases it just doesn't tick all the boxes  ;)

I prefer lenses with no or very limited geometrical distortion - and if there is distortion that it is an 'uncomplicated' distortion, I have seen the image degradation from removing this distortion in post processing and the in camera firmware processing and I don't like it.
The leica Q, Q2 fixed lens as well as the Leica SL with the zooms are examples of such in camera firmware distortion removal. Looks fine for most images agreed! However for Architectural images as well as nature images with for instance the horizon at the image top or bottom, it's sometimes ruins the IQ image possibilities.

For stitching panoramas this shows up as well - Yes first when you push the files,,, I push my files,,,  8)
That's why I use zooms with little or no geometrical distortion at most focal lengths;14-24mm AFS 2.8 - 24-70mm E AFS 2.8 - 80-200mm AFS 2.8
Fixed lenses are usually easier to find witch are without strange geometrical distortions,,,28mm E 1.4 AFS

These fit the bill regarding distortion but also has enough sharpness to not be a compromise ;)
Last point; I dislike the extending design - I try to avoid them as a mechanical engineer I shake my head when I grab the front of the lens and i wobbles from side to side,,, All this talk about IQ and precision ground elements and tolerances,,, and the whole lens assembly shifts around  :o :o :o
Erik Lund