Author Topic: Hip Hippo  (Read 2098 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Hip Hippo
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 07:15:45 »
Great captures, Ann. You were lucky to get to see them on dry land. We saw many whilst in Kenya and Tanzania last year, but they were usually submerged except for their eyes and nostrils. The ponds in which they lived were foul, and the stench often overwhelming if you happened to be downwind.

Not to be messed with - two tourists were trampled to death near their lodge while we were there - a penalty they paid for ignoring the advice of the locals and getting up close to photograph them.

Getting up close -virtually- is a snap if you have a long lens.

The birds should be Buphagus sp. (possibly Buphagus erythrorhynchus for the completely red beak)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:07 »
Entertaining and amazing captures! Thanks for sharing ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 13:28:35 »
Yet another vote for #3!  I think this series shows different characters of a hippo and I like the friendly side of him.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 18:57:33 »
My personal best is #3, too, and runners-up are #4 and #8

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 05:05:46 »
Here is a different aspect:

I was staying at TandaTula and we had just come back to the Lodge after the evening game drive.

I was feeling hot and dusty and wanted to return to my tent for a quick shower before Dinner so the manager grabbed his rifle and a powerful torch so that he could see me safely to my tent.

As we stepped off the verandah, the sweeping beam from his torch fel upon this sight right in front od us. Hippo was on the lawn and almost in the lodge and was between me and my tent (which lay close to that lantern which you can see just beyond the Hippo.

No shower but I did get this shot of his retreating rear end.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:42 »
As we stepped off the verandah, the sweeping beam from his torch fel upon this sight right in front od us. Hippo was on the lawn and almost in the lodge and was between me and my tent (which lay close to that lantern which you can see just beyond the Hippo.

No shower but I did get this shot of his retreating rear end.

Wow, that's a bit too close for comfort!

Can't decide which end of the hippo is ugliest...
Mike Selby - Sydney