Author Topic: Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S  (Read 18887 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 19:56:18 »
Kathmandu sunset, jan 31, 2020

Z6 -- 50mm f/1.8S @ f/5.6

Fons, this is awesome in a couple of different reasons!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 20:32:04 »
Fons, this is awesome in a couple of different reasons!

Thank you Akira.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 21:37:14 »

Wow! Great shot, Fons.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 21:39:43 »
Great atmospherical Shot, Fons.

Thanks Luc.

Again with f/1.8
Good shot, John. Isn't it nice being able to shoot lenses wide open with such results? I've shot Micro Four Thirds for quite some time and the prime lenses of that system can be also be used wide open but Nikon seems to trump those with the new Z lenses.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 06:49:40 »
Good shot, John. Isn't it nice being able to shoot lenses wide open with such results? I've shot Micro Four Thirds for quite some time and the prime lenses of that system can be also be used wide open but Nikon seems to trump those with the new Z lenses.
Thanks Luc.  True, that is a treat, so little  well known lens - 'defects'  wide open. Very convenient for a number a subjects.  The lens is also extremely sharp, especially a bit stopped down  ;)

But I do not understand why Nikon choose for a 'built-in' profile, if lenses are that good....  Hopefully Adobe or other raw builders come soon with a solution for that.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 11:08:47 »
thank you Luc

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 11:44:12 »

Just fantastic - The light is breathtakingly beautiful would probabl be amazing as a large print -  Thank you for sharing
Erik Lund

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 11:50:10 »
I fully agree!
Same for John's night shot.
Peter

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 11:57:19 »
But I do not understand why Nikon choose for a 'built-in' profile, if lenses are that good....  Hopefully Adobe or other raw builders come soon with a solution for that.

If I'm not mistaken, this has been Adobe's practice for most mirrorless camera raw files; the manufacturers supply a built-in lens correction profile and Adobe applies it automatically. In DSLRs such profiles are not typically provided by the cameras in the raw files. However, I think Adobe should offer the user the option for the built-in profile NOT to be applied and just render the raw data using a basic algorithm. Other raw converters do allow this data to be converted without profile application.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 12:10:13 »
FTZ adapted lenses will allow for lens profiles editing, interesting to see that default sharpening with the built-in profile is quite minimal compared to adapted lenses.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 13:53:01 »
There is reported to be a way around the built-in lens profile using exiftool

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/deactivate-integrated-lens-profiles/td-p/9572619?page=1

However, you may want to store the original file also.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 18:05:13 »
If I'm not mistaken, this has been Adobe's practice for most mirrorless camera raw files; the manufacturers supply a built-in lens correction profile and Adobe applies it automatically. In DSLRs such profiles are not typically provided by the cameras in the raw files.
Perhaps Nikon should reconsider this option to deliver only built-in lens profiles. This looks like a consumer thing. 
However, I think Adobe should offer the user the option for the built-in profile NOT to be applied and just render the raw data using a basic algorithm. Other raw converters do allow this data to be converted without profile application.
True, one should expect a more active attitude of Adobe in this matter.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2020, 18:22:36 »
FTZ adapted lenses will allow for lens profiles editing, interesting to see that default sharpening with the built-in profile is quite minimal compared to adapted lenses.
You mean all AF-S lenses which were used via the FTZ-Adapter?

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2020, 22:40:25 »
With Capture One it's possible to disable the default lens correction. See the info in this link https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003374118-Disable-Default-Lens-Corrections

I tested it on the image below. To me it looks like the Z 50mm f1.8 is minimally corrected in Capture One.

Corrected

Uncorrected

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2020, 00:32:44 »
The built-in lens profile, according to Adobe, does handle chromatic aberration, distortion and vignetting. It is easy to see for Z50S files opened in Capture NX-D (the free download at Nikon) that there is visibly some barrel distortion and some vignetting, both being corrected after settings are changed from off to auto.

Chromatic aberration correction didn't do that much (for the limited number of files I examined).

B.t.w. Capture NX-D respects the camera settings; it takes over both settings for distortion and vignetting.