Author Topic: Motocross  (Read 4683 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Motocross
« on: May 11, 2019, 19:05:22 »
Last Sunday I shot some Motocross at Canada Heights in Kent.  Here are some of the results.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Motocross
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 19:07:17 »
Some more.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 19:08:49 »
More.
Anthony Macaulay

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 19:19:00 »
Great series... ;) The ground seems dry enough, but unless having a long lens you might have been covered with mud !
Did you use a flash ?
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 19:55:43 »
Thank you, Jacques, the last shot was with flash.  I was concerned it might distract the riders, but the professional I was with assured me that it was not a problem as they are so concentrated on the track.

It had rained heavily the day before, so I was lucky.  I did get hit several times with mud and other debris.  Unusually, I had filters on my lenses to protect from debris.  It is a dangerous sport for riders and spectators - on rider had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance.  If a rider lost control, the barriers would have been too flimsy to protect the spectators.
Anthony Macaulay

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 22:18:36 »
A great series of a sport which I understand to be extremely difficult (and quite dangerous too?!) to photograph well.
(I've never yet had a chance to try doing it.)

The first one is a classic: pin sharp and well lofted against a very pleasing and uncluttered background.

That is not to detract from the rest of the set which portray such a clear impression of the challenging track, and the speed and precision of the tightly clustered riders.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 23:05:36 »
Challenging sport for both rider and photographer, you did very well, the last one shows the speed.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 09:11:24 »
Enjoyed these tense moments you captured, Anthony!

Robert (Seapy) also posted images of the motocross trial in Scotland.  Are they the events linked together?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:21:47 »
Anthony, these are very good.  A sport I have never seen.
One of the things I miss the most from living in London is packing a picnic and heading out to a Point to Point meeting.
Many thanks for sharing,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 13:17:48 »
Thank you all for your comments.

Ann, the first was shot with the Fuji 18-55 zoom, usually sold as a kit lens with the camera.  It performed remarkably well on the day.  It is quite a dangerous sport, which increases the thrill level.

Bent, it is a great sport to practice panning, as the riders are constantly zipping past so there are lots of opportunities to try it out.

Akira, this event was south of London, so rather a long way from Robert's event. 

Tommie, this was my first time at motocross.  It was a lot of fun, but very noisy.  I would use ear protectors if I was a regular.
Anthony Macaulay

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 17:42:04 »
Enjoyed these tense moments you captured, Anthony!

Robert (Seapy) also posted images of the motocross trial in Scotland.  Are they the events linked together?

Seapy posted images of a Trials competition, not motocross, and not the same thing. Motocross full throttle over terrain, Trials is precision personified over terrain.
Carl

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 17:44:25 »
mastering point and shoot - not one of the start numbers appears in a 2nd picture  ;D

it is a great set  Anthony, I remember a sports series with your Nikon during a workshop,

you are a good sports observer
Thomas Stellwag

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 19:46:51 »
Awesome series !

Surprised he first image is with the 18-55, looks like a longer focal length
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 00:21:11 »
mastering point and shoot - not one of the start numbers appears in a 2nd picture  ;D

It is a dangerous sport!

[/quote] it is a great set  Anthony, I remember a sports series with your Nikon during a workshop,

you are a good sports observer [/quote]

Thank you, I enjoy sports.  More to come in a few weeks.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 00:23:28 »
Awesome series !

Surprised he first image is with the 18-55, looks like a longer focal length

Thank you, Armando, I was very close to the action.  The photo is only slightly cropped.  I was very impressed with the AF speed of this lens on the X-T3.
Anthony Macaulay