Author Topic: Macro suggestions  (Read 3942 times)

charlie

• NG Supporter
Macro suggestions
« on: April 23, 2019, 19:57:49 »
I use the 105mm f/2.8 AF-D micro nikkor for shooting product & jewelry. What I like about the lens is that it's excellent at controlling flare when shooting straight into sunlight/strobes. Image quality is decent, perhaps could be a bit better. What I don't like about the lens is that it has an incredibly short focus throw so manual critical focus and focus stacking becomes a challenge. Also controlling focus via computer is not all that precise I'd guess because it is an AF-D lens and perhaps an AF-S would perform better? I'm using Capture One for this. I don't particularly like the shortening of the focal length when close focussing as I prefer a longer working distance.

I'm looking for other options to test out to see if they'd be better fit, something very resistant to flare with little to no CA. Ideally AF-S for computer controlled focus stacking but ok with manual focus as well, either way I'd like a longer focus throw than the AF-D lens. Something in the 105mm range, give or take.

Any suggestions?

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: Macro suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 20:28:44 »
As you may know, the 105mm AF-S can be prone to CA
I like quite a few other aspects of it though

I'm not in the market for anything else, but know many people who liked the 150mm Sigma macro

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 21:11:17 »
Why not using a macro-focusing rail.
Turning its knob is more accurate than turning any focus ring.
However, I would recommend to avoid a cheap one... ;)
Francis Devrainne

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 22:35:46 »
Why not using a macro-focusing rail.
Turning its knob is more accurate than turning any focus ring.
However, I would recommend to avoid a cheap one... ;)

Good questions, I hadn't considered it. I do have a PB-4 that I'll sometimes use with a 105mm Novoflex or various enlarger lenses though I find the setup to be cumbersome and not well suited for this type of work. I suppose a focusing rail would not be quite as cumbersome and could be worth looking into, thanks for the suggestion. 

As you may know, the 105mm AF-S can be prone to CA
I like quite a few other aspects of it though

I'm not in the market for anything else, but know many people who liked the 150mm Sigma macro

The 105mm AF-S would be the obvious choice seeings how it is the successor to the 105mm AF-D, though I've read some not so favorable reviews and from what I understand it also employs a focal shortening the closer it gets to 1:1, which I'd like to avoid. The 150mm Sigma I'm not familiar with, I'll look into it. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 22:40:10 »
A Stackshot or similar automated rail is the ultimate approach to focus stacking.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 23:41:13 »
Good questions, I hadn't considered it. I do have a PB-4 that I'll sometimes use with a 105mm Novoflex or various enlarger lenses though I find the setup to be cumbersome and not well suited for this type of work. I suppose a focusing rail would not be quite as cumbersome and could be worth looking into, thanks for the suggestion. 

The 105mm AF-S would be the obvious choice seeings how it is the successor to the 105mm AF-D, though I've read some not so favorable reviews and from what I understand it also employs a focal shortening the closer it gets to 1:1, which I'd like to avoid. The 150mm Sigma I'm not familiar with, I'll look into it.

There are many focusing rails out there, but I have not seen any of them avoid complaints by some users. So, serious research is in order. That does not include the stackers such as our fearless leader mentioned that I have not investigated.
Carl

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 19:04:44 »
I'm circling back on this, any suggestions for macro lenses that handle shooting into strong light sources well and do not shorten the focal length when focusing closer (such as the 105mm f/2.8D). Can be either AF or MF.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 19:52:58 »
Some fragments of info:
Between the Zeiss 50/2, Zeiss 100/2, Nikon 55/2.8 and Nikon 55/3.5,
My experience is that neither the Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar or the classic Nikon 55/2.8 AiS are *low flare* lenses when pointed into a strong light source, be it a point source or diffuse source.  The Zeiss 100/2 Makro is a little better(less flare), and the old Nikon 55/3.5 with multi-coating (P.C, K, Ai, era) has the lowest flare of this group.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 22:54:24 »
...macro lenses that handle shooting into strong light sources well

Can you give some examples of the scenarios where you expect to be experiencing this Charlie?
Strongly backlit macros? Flash used behind the subject?

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 09:07:49 »
I use the 105mm f/2.8 AF-D micro nikkor for shooting product & jewelry. What I like about the lens is that it's excellent at controlling flare when shooting straight into sunlight/strobes. Image quality is decent, perhaps could be a bit better. What I don't like about the lens is that it has an incredibly short focus throw so manual critical focus and focus stacking becomes a challenge. Also controlling focus via computer is not all that precise I'd guess because it is an AF-D lens and perhaps an AF-S would perform better? I'm using Capture One for this. I don't particularly like the shortening of the focal length when close focussing as I prefer a longer working distance.

I'm looking for other options to test out to see if they'd be better fit, something very resistant to flare with little to no CA. Ideally AF-S for computer controlled focus stacking but ok with manual focus as well, either way I'd like a longer focus throw than the AF-D lens. Something in the 105mm range, give or take.

Any suggestions?
Some idea, propably? Many many years ago i have bought the Canon 77mm close up lens 500 D for use with Af-s 70-200 series of lenses. You will get the autofocus speed of the recent 70-200, and you will become a longer working distance feeld. negative effects are, you can not zoom into the object as known as with common "macro" objectives. Of coursse i have not tested it yet together with stacking procedures. bye bye, richard.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 10:31:57 »
Good point Fentris.

I don’t know where you live Charlie, but a straightforward option is to rent/borrow some of the contenders to try out under the conditions your shooting requires. If you were in the UK you could borrow my 105 f2.8 AF-S.

For distance, the 150mm already mentioned plus a 180mm by Sigma and the Nikon 200mm

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 11:27:20 »
Hello! Maybe my suggestion doesn't match for your work, but the attached picture was shot in May 2019 with the "old" AI-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f4 with PK-12 on a Nikon Df.
One picture taken is far better than none!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 23:43:23 »
Can you give some examples of the scenarios where you expect to be experiencing this Charlie?
Strongly backlit macros? Flash used behind the subject?

Yes that is correct, shooting back lit product/still-life with a bare strobe or the sun either in the frame or just out of the frame. Or a softbox, seamless, or white acrylic as the background metered on the edge blowing out (RGB 250-255).

The 105 f/2.8D handles back lighting very well, generally I'm happy with the lens I just don't like how short of a focus throw it has which makes critical focus challenging. Not everything I shoot is focus stacked and at the moment I do not have a focus rail.  I'd also like to know if other lenses might be able to render the fine details a little better. I suppose the AFS 105mm micro nikkor is the logical next step though it doesn't seem to get the greatest of accolades. I'm also curious if the 85mm PC micro nikkor might be a good fit for me.

Hello! Maybe my suggestion doesn't match for your work, but the attached picture was shot in May 2019 with the "old" AI-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f4 with PK-12 on a Nikon Df.

I've considered this lens though I'm not certain that it does as well as the f/2.8D in regards to flare.

Some idea, propably? Many many years ago i have bought the Canon 77mm close up lens 500 D for use with Af-s 70-200 series of lenses. You will get the autofocus speed of the recent 70-200, and you will become a longer working distance feeld. negative effects are, you can not zoom into the object as known as with common "macro" objectives. Of coursse i have not tested it yet together with stacking procedures. bye bye, richard.

As much as I love the 70-200mm lenses, they are not particularly known for their resistance to flare. But perhaps the newest version is better than my 70-200mm. Still I have a hard time seeing the 70-200mm with 500D as being a viable option for my purposes. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t know where you live Charlie, but a straightforward option is to rent/borrow some of the contenders to try out under the conditions your shooting requires. If you were in the UK you could borrow my 105 f2.8 AF-S.

For distance, the 150mm already mentioned plus a 180mm by Sigma and the Nikon 200mm

Yes, I was planning on renting some lenses for comparisons, appreciate the offer though I'm somewhere on the other side of the globe :-)

Some fragments of info:
Between the Zeiss 50/2, Zeiss 100/2, Nikon 55/2.8 and Nikon 55/3.5,
My experience is that neither the Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar or the classic Nikon 55/2.8 AiS are *low flare* lenses when pointed into a strong light source, be it a point source or diffuse source.  The Zeiss 100/2 Makro is a little better(less flare), and the old Nikon 55/3.5 with multi-coating (P.C, K, Ai, era) has the lowest flare of this group.

Thanks for the info, for the sake controlling the background scene I'd like a longer focal length than 55mm, I could look into that Ziess though.

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 19:23:57 »
Yes that is correct, shooting back lit product/still-life with a bare strobe or the sun either in the frame or just out of the frame. Or a softbox, seamless, or white acrylic as the background metered on the edge blowing out (RGB 250-255).

The 105 f/2.8D handles back lighting very well, generally I'm happy with the lens I just don't like how short of a focus throw it has which makes critical focus challenging. Not everything I shoot is focus stacked and at the moment I do not have a focus rail.  I'd also like to know if other lenses might be able to render the fine details a little better. I suppose the AFS 105mm micro nikkor is the logical next step though it doesn't seem to get the greatest of accolades. I'm also curious if the 85mm PC micro nikkor might be a good fit for me.

I've considered this lens though I'm not certain that it does as well as the f/2.8D in regards to flare.

As much as I love the 70-200mm lenses, they are not particularly known for their resistance to flare. But perhaps the newest version is better than my 70-200mm. Still I have a hard time seeing the 70-200mm with 500D as being a viable option for my purposes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I was planning on renting some lenses for comparisons, appreciate the offer though I'm somewhere on the other side of the globe :-)

Thanks for the info, for the sake controlling the background scene I'd like a longer focal length than 55mm, I could look into that Ziess though.

Hello charlie. please have a look, some test-shot together with the d850 + af-s I 70-200 and that canon glass 500 D.   bye bye, richard

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 20:31:25 »
I shoot watches with the 60mm 2.8g and the 85mm PC-E. The pc-e is incredibly sharp, has a wonderful color rendering and deals well with flare and CA.  Really like the Zeiss milvus lenses too.
Peter