Author Topic: Øivind in Alaska  (Read 2007 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Øivind in Alaska
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:47:59 »
Hello form Alaska! I am a Norwegian physiologist working with hibernating animals like black bears and arctic ground squirrels. My old NG username is "otoien". I am so glad to see this forum come though!

Nothing is more appropriate than using the image I originally introduced myself with at the old Nikongear forum, from field work in Brooks Range in Northern Alaska where I occasionally get to go.

Øivind Tøien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Øivind in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:52:37 »
Boy am I glad to see you. I love to see your icey pictures
to the rest of the boys : Perhaps we can visit Alaska instead of Svalbard ....
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:06 »
Thanks Elsa, both Svalbard and Alaska are well worth to visit of course. I have had many work trips in the past to Svalbard, partly as a physiologist and partly as a scientific scuba diver, mostly to Ny-Ålesund in Kings Bay. No polar bears to be seen though, they do not frequent the west coast of Svalbard that often in the summer. Perhaps a good thing when diving from a boat or from a hole in the ice. Svalbard is very much worth visiting just for the landscapes. If deciding to go to Northern Norway, Svalbard is then just a 2 hour or so flight from Tromsø... At the coast of northern Alaska, polar bears typically hang around during the native whaling season to look for scraps. Flight to the villages can be quite costly, and for instance in Point Barrow the hotel can get quite expensive and require reservations long in advance at that time of the year.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 17:35:20 »
Hi, Øivind, nice to see you here!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 21:48:17 »
Thanks Akira, nice to see you and all the other old friends here.
Amazing to see how far it has established itself over only 5 days.
Øivind Tøien