Author Topic: April 2019  (Read 73787 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: April 2019
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2019, 12:59:52 »
The flowering Wisteria
D850  35-70/3.5 Ai

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2019, 13:19:29 »
Thank you Paco.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2019, 14:07:27 »
Thank you  :)

Meet Jesús, a fellow photographer who patiently posed for me in order to show the benefits of the Z6, including AF accuracy at f1.4

Z6 and 28mm 1.4e fully open

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2019, 14:47:58 »
Ah.. I just faved it on Flickr ! Didn't know you were here too... ;)
What are those plans for/of ? Nice objects (dice, knife, etc.) !!!

Those plans are a rough sketch for a quite ambitious scale modelling project I have in mind. Well, it rather jumped my mind like a flea jumps a cat. And it got stuck and keeps reproducing itself, spamming my brain with a multitude of scale modelling ideas, of which only a fraction will end up in those plans (some 10 pages of them once the planning stage is done). The other 90% worth of ideas will be added during the mock-up and building processes, and will have to remain in my head until then.

Once I finished moving to our new home, and the dust settled a bit, and I have all the welding and house building thingies done, I intend to build a 1:12 scale section of an oil refinery. Not only the exterior, but also the interior of the refinery towers, with opened manholes, and the basement levels, where most of the operating valves are moved. The intention of this is to end up with a 3 dimensional, fully usable 48"x48"x48" piece of gaming terrain for a boardgame I'm writing some rules for. Gantryways and stairs should allow plenty of movement on 7 fully detailed levels to move the gaming pieces on, allowing for the amount of confusion that will keep the game challenging and the players on their toes during the game.

The game will use gaming pieces partially sculpted myself and partially made of bits and pieces salvaged here and there. So much work to realize just an oddball idea that crept up on me, but such is life. An idea is worth something once it can be shared, and to share an idea, you need to do something with it.

The dice are handmade, using various precious woods, buffalo horn and bone. Made using techniques used by craftsmen 1000 years ago. The knife is also handmade, and was a prototype. I am now working on a commission for a $2500 knife. The sketch for that one is somewhere underneath the plans in that picture. The mammoth tusk sections shown in the picture are for that project, along with some Elm burl (one of few trees sharing the earth with the Mammoths) and bolster and pommel for which I still have to do some sculpting, to create a positive that can be made into a ceramic negative used to cast bronze. I have most of the means to do the bronze casting myself.
Buddy

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2019, 14:52:26 »
Tom: "embarrassment of riches" sounds familiar, it embosses the way I have to deal with talents all my life ... a motor of thousands of horse powers trying to find grip without smoking the tires. Thank you for these words!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarrassment_of_riches

But: confronted with a lighthouse like Buddy I often feel ashamed of my little flashlight.

Frank, you are too modest concerning your own talents, and too generous when it comes to mine. To put things into perspective, a professional is defined as a person making a living using his talents.

That requires owning a set of talents that let's you recognize a talent that can be marketed, possessing the talent that can be marketed, and possessing a talent for marketing.

In my 40 years of existence, I have not managed to market any of my talents in a fashion that allows me to make a living. If I remember correctly, you do. ;)
Buddy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2019, 14:54:55 »
Yea lighthouse. Always wear sunglasses meeting Buddy 😁
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2019, 14:55:28 »
  Great portrait Frank. Will be interested in what you use as a whole in the set up. The finished image has beautiful light and clean ambiance.

call me..
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #397 on: April 29, 2019, 15:20:52 »
Yea lighthouse. Always wear sunglasses meeting Buddy

That's how I feel being around Kristina ;) Talking about talent, there you have a true beacon of radiance hidden in a prison of anxiety
Buddy

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2019, 16:40:52 »
Those plans are a rough sketch for a quite ambitious scale modelling project I have in mind.(...)

Gee whiz !!! Now that's a full program  :o
And among the Mammoth era you joined the Nikon F...? It figures  ;D  I hope we'll see the game and it's pieces when achieved ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2019, 17:03:44 »
That's how I feel being around Kristina ;) Talking about talent, there you have a true beacon of radiance hidden in a prison of anxiety

courage is difficult to teach and learn once it is broken. I hope she learns to break free

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #400 on: April 29, 2019, 17:04:27 »
The flowering Wisteria
D850  35-70/3.5 Ai

w o n d e r f u l

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #401 on: April 29, 2019, 18:31:16 »
April 29.

Bokeh balls.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #402 on: April 29, 2019, 18:31:42 »
today in my garden....

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #403 on: April 29, 2019, 19:18:08 »
Thank you  :)

Meet Jesús, a fellow photographer who patiently posed for me in order to show the benefits of the Z6, including AF accuracy at f1.4

Z6 and 28mm 1.4e fully open

Some lens!

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #404 on: April 29, 2019, 20:55:46 »
Found yesterday in the woods of Herefordshire, UK
We were walking in amongst several types of tree and I was wondering if this a baby flower/cone from a conifer?

There were many yellow/gold ones, plus these deep red ones
Any advice on what this is would be appreciated