Author Topic: nikkor z 14-30mm f/4  (Read 3945 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
nikkor z 14-30mm f/4
« on: March 19, 2019, 21:11:24 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: nikkor z 14-30mm f/4
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 21:21:32 »
As expected from the published MTF graphs.

I have the lens on pre-order.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:22 »
Looking at the pictures from the link in actual size on flickr, they show many artifacts, pretty bad actually.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:20:06 »
Examining real picture files will provide the answers. I see no reason why this lens should be different from the 3 native lenses I already use. They are all uniformly good performers.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:35 »
It's the first time in my life I pre-ordered a lens. Normally I wait for reviews (from reputable reviewers :) ).
I'm nbr.1 on a waiting list overhere, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait a few months until the lens is available overhere. :(
Chris Dees

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:28 »
Unverified reports claim the 14-30 will become available here in April. But unlike other product releases the Nordic countries don't seem to have high priority with the Z items.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:30 »
Some of the sample images look really good!
I see blooming in the high contrast image, sky and forest and that is a little strange since it is shot at f/10
Some of the other imagers are heavily PP'ed i think so not possible to blame camera or lens,,,

The close up bird shot is really good, sharp into the corners, very similar to 14-24mm f/2.8 AFS in performance I believe
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 18:57:03 »
The system gets more and more interesting for a light weight highly capable setup. I sit and watch & I am happy with the wonderful stuff I already have.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chambeshi

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 18:48:15 »
Got my 14-30Z today. Apparently Nikon strives to meet demand for it as I had to get the zoom lens directly from Nikon UK and it still hasn't appeared on dealers' shelves over here.

I did have the opportunity to use the 14-30 on the recent NG meet-up in Scotland (thank you, Mikes) so already had some practical experience with it.

The zoom is of the "unlock" kind thus one has to extend it to the shooting position before it can communicate with the camera. Same principle as in the 24-70/4 and while this is all right for travelling compact, it also slows down the initial setup when a motif is spotted, unless you have the lens extended all the time. However the latter defeats the purpose of compacted lenses.

Images delivered are crisp and colours are vividly rendered. Shooting into strong light sources generates only a minimum of flare and ghosts.

What is most surprising for those not relying on Nikon software to process their NEFs is the quite severe geometric distortion of the lens. In-camera jpgs automatically correct and so does Capture NX-D. Photo Ninja is able to remove most of the barrel distortion, however some loss of viewing angle occurs. In the same process the obvious vignetting in the extreme corners also disappear.

The example below is @14mm and is shown without and with geometric correction.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 19:12:18 »
Shooting into the sun is a breeze.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 20:34:52 »
I’ve just ordered mine and can’t wait to see if it can replace my Zeiss.
The distortion at 14mm looks awful. :-\
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 04:09:53 »
It does look like after barrel correction, the field curvature was greatly corrected, as well.  OK, it isn't 14mm, but close to 16, after all, what isn't a show stopper to me, at least.  LZ

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 15:03:04 »
Got my 14-30Z today. Apparently Nikon strives to meet demand for it as I had to get the zoom lens directly from Nikon UK and it still hasn't appeared on dealers' shelves over here.

I did have the opportunity to use the 14-30 on the recent NG meet-up in Scotland (thank you, Mikes) so already had some practical experience with it.

The zoom is of the "unlock" kind thus one has to extend it to the shooting position before it can communicate with the camera. Same principle as in the 24-70/4 and while this is all right for travelling compact, it also slows down the initial setup when a motif is spotted, unless you have the lens extended all the time. However the latter defeats the purpose of compacted lenses.

Images delivered are crisp and colours are vividly rendered. Shooting into strong light sources generates only a minimum of flare and ghosts.

What is most surprising for those not relying on Nikon software to process their NEFs is the quite severe geometric distortion of the lens. In-camera jpgs automatically correct and so does Capture NX-D. Photo Ninja is able to remove most of the barrel distortion, however some loss of viewing angle occurs. In the same process the obvious vignetting in the extreme corners also disappear.

The example below is @14mm and is shown without and with geometric correction.

Thanks for posting this comparison. Does NX-D also crop an image (taken @14mm) in its correcting of distortion? If so, is this zoom then a 15-30 in practise?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 19:03:27 »
Thanks for posting this comparison. Does NX-D also crop an image (taken @14mm) in its correcting of distortion? If so, is this zoom then a 15-30 in practise?

NX-D makes a corresponding crop as Photo Ninja. Not sure this means the focal length is significantly different from 14mm, one has to evaluate prime 14mm lenses against the zoom set to the same focal length.

Also, the distortion might not be as evident for nature subjects, plus vignetting likely is much less when the lens is focused closer.