Author Topic: Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 arrived  (Read 3152 times)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 arrived
« on: February 14, 2019, 11:59:10 »
While Canon anounces SIX new mirrorless lenses, including TWO 85mm f/1.2 and a tiny 70-200mm f/2.8.

The new Noct is still in the shadows. Curious to see the price tag and test its bokeh.

By the way, why the word FAST is used for bright lenses instead of bright? It bugs me since all the lenses stand still and only the shutter , which is not in the lens, moves faster with their use.

Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 14:01:15 »
While Canon anounces SIX new mirrorless lenses, including TWO 85mm f/1.2 and a tiny 70-200mm f/2.8.

Canon announced the development of six lenses, that's similar to announcing a roadmap, which Nikon has done earlier and it's more extensive.

The new Noct is still in the shadows. Curious to see the price tag and test its bokeh.

Price will be high.

By the way, why the word FAST is used for bright lenses instead of bright? It bugs me since all the lenses stand still and only the shutter , which is not in the lens, moves faster with their use.

Well, they collect more light in a given time, so they're fast. ;-)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 22:14:48 »
Besides fast apertures/lenses, there is also fast film.
The term high speed is also used for the same meanings.
I always interpreted the 'fast' designation as meaning the operator could 'shoot fast' or 'shoot fast things', meaning to capture fast moving action better than with the slow lens, aperture, or film. Fast film allowed you to use a faster shutter speed.
Kodak, for many years, offered a film whose official name (at least in the USA) was "High Speed Ektachrome"**.  Zeiss sold a series of f/1.2 cinema lenses called 'Super Speed Lenses'.
Apertures are more correctly be referred to as large/small, film as higher/lower sensitivity. 
In spoken speech it is easier and faster(ha ha) to say 'fast lens' than 'large aperture lens', 'fast film' than 'high sensitivity film'.
**High speed meant ASA(ISO) 160, pushable to 400.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 22:31:17 »
I always interpreted the 'fast' designation as meaning the operator could 'shoot fast' or 'shoot fast things', meaning to capture fast moving action better than with the slow lens, aperture, or film. Fast film allowed you to use a faster shutter speed.
Kodak, for many years, offered a film whose official name (at least in the USA) was "High Speed Ektachrome"**.  Zeiss sold a series of f/1.2 cinema lenses called 'Super Speed Lenses'.
Apertures are more correctly be referred to as large/small, film as higher/lower sensitivity. 
In spoken speech it is easier and faster(ha ha) to say 'fast lens' than 'large aperture lens', 'fast film' than 'high sensitivity film'.

Yes, fast has always been a desired quality for photography and high speed applies to shutters as well. Examples are old Compur-Rapid (went to 1/400th) and of course Speed Graphics with focal plane curtain shutters that went to 1/1000th.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 22:57:26 »
How can such a "bright" lens be in the shadows ?? :o

Back to the Z 24-70/2.8:
The weight is a little less than the non-VR AFS 24-70/2.8, and a few mm shorter too. It is quite a bit lighter and shorter than the VR version, but it shares the larger 82mm filter size (like new Z 14-30/4) so even thought it is a mirrorless lens, they seem to be optimising for performance not compactness.

It's curious Nikon now have two 24-70 zooms for the Z mount already. Maybe the Nikon felt they needed a "pro" standard zoom sooner to counter the Canon 28-70/2 and other L lenses in development?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 23:05:17 »
How can such a "bright" lens be in the shadows ?? :o

Back to the Z 24-70/2.8:
The weight is a little less than the non-VR AFS 24-70/2.8, and a few mm shorter too. It is quite a bit lighter and shorter than the VR version, but it shares the larger 82mm filter size (like new Z 14-30/4) so even thought it is a mirrorless lens, they seem to be optimising for performance not compactness.

It's curious Nikon now have two 24-70 zooms for the Z mount already. Maybe the Nikon felt they needed a "pro" standard zoom sooner to counter the Canon 28-70/2 and other L lenses in development?

I am certain they were feeling pressure. There were so many posts about how the f/4 was not a "pro" lens.
But the f/2.8 was announced as part of the original roadmap so it is not just a reaction to other releases.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 23:24:26 »
I'm not sure what to make of the so-called All-new ARNEO coating:

"Nikon’s all-new ARNEO coating: a multi-layer coating that is used in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coating for superior anti-reflective performance. While Nano Crystal Coat suppresses ghosting and flare coming from backlight at diagonal angles, the ARNEO coat compensates for light entering the lens from vertical angles."

But it is still a multi-layer coating like NIC and SIC, and all multi-later coatings are most effective at vertical angles. Nano-Coating is effective at all angles, but is too delicate to be used on external surfaces, and probably expensive too so is only applied to selected internal surfaces.

The name is probably a contraction of Anti-Reflection NEO (new) coating. I guess ARNEO sounds better than SIC :) :o

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 00:21:12 »

Thank you.
I started taking photographs in the late 70's so I'm aware of that.
Just think that the word "bright" is more meaningful for low f number lenses, in english and portuguese.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:36 »
Thank you.
I started taking photographs in the late 70's so I'm aware of that.
Just think that the word "bright" is more meaningful for low f number lenses, in english and portuguese.

I don't speak Portuguese,  but, for English, in this case, faster means that everything being equal the larger aperture will afford a quicker capture. Quicker being synonymous with faster using this definition.

We must remember that many shots were not (and are not) better with slower shutter speeds. So, to improve IQ, things needed to be speeded up to avoid those slower shutter speeds. Enter faster lenses, which is an appropriate term, IMO. YMMV  ;)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 04:49:46 »
At least I'm pretty sure that neither Canon or Nikon, or L-mount alliance in this sense, is going to build up a "compact" full-frame mirrorless system, at least for a while   :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 23:18:28 »
Walking about this morning I wanted to see what f/2.8 would mean when I already have the f/4 kit lens. And the answer is mostly increased cost, bulk and weight.
At the 70mm end there is enough subject separation at f/4 that I'm satisfied. Of course different people have different needs.

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 23:37:34 »
The 0.38m minimum focusing distance is a disappointment. This means it cannot focus behind many dome ports used for underwater photography. The f/4 lens on the other hand focuses to 0.3m which means that it can where the newer lens cannot.

I have used the fast lens lingo referring to large maximum aperture for >50 years (since I became a teenager and a serious photographer). The "bright" term is something that I have read more recently. The main issue of the old term is that we also have AF speed to contend with so fast might seem more ambiguous that it once did.
Tom

chambeshi