Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Lens aperture ring repair/replacement?

(1/3) > >>

Vinman:
Hi,
An over-excited me tried to mount my F mount tele directly onto my Z6 trying to grab a quick picture. For those wondering, it, in fact, doesn’t work. The result was a broken aperture confirmation tab. How difficult is it to remove the aperture ring? This is a first generation AF-S lens. I plan to try using super glue gel to affix the tab back in place, but if that doesn’t hold, I’ll be replacing the ring. Either way, I need to get the ring off. I’ll totally end up gluing the ring in place permanently if I don’t remove it first!
Thanks for any suggestions, thoughts, and prayers.
Vince

pluton:
2 questions:
1. What lens is this?
2.  Which part is the one referred to as the aperture confirmation tab?

Vinman:
It’s an AF-S 500mm f4.
The tab I’m referring to is the very small piece that protrudes from the aperture ring that confirms the aperture is at is smallest setting or the aperture is locked.
Thanks!

Birna Rørslett:
Use a piece of a toothpick or similar and insert into the min.aperture indicator slot in the camera. Voilá problem solved. In fact, for any lens.

Matthew Currie:
I think it may depend on what camera.  Do any AF film or digital cameras with AI followers use that switch?  Older low end film and digital cameras without an AI follower use a switch that moves sideways, and Birna's suggestion should work fine on those.  Newer ones, though,, such as the D3x00 family, have a switch that moves down rather than sideways.  I don't think there is a convenient way to jam the switch before the lens goes on.  For those, you can mount the lens first, then put a piece of folded cardboard or the like between aperture ring and switch to hold it down. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version