Author Topic: Z6 manual focus aid  (Read 9594 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Z6 manual focus aid
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 02:31:17 »
atpaula asked: Does anybody know a way to make that green dot appear for the manual focus lenses?

You have all given him potentially helpful, intelligent advice/alternatives to working without the green dot, but you haven't answered his question- and nor have I; obviously, he presently has cameras that do have green dots, but he wants to know a way to make the green dot appear for manual focus lenses with his new camera.  I cannot  help him as I do not have a Z6.

Eddie started the the green dot is only available for AF lenses s few posts up.  So, since then that is the most likely reason alternative options have been recommend.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 02:57:05 »
atpaula asked: Does anybody know a way to make that green dot appear for the manual focus lenses?

You have all given him potentially helpful, intelligent advice/alternatives to working without the green dot, but you haven't answered his question- and nor have I; obviously, he presently has cameras that do have green dots, but he wants to know a way to make the green dot appear for manual focus lenses with his new camera.  I cannot  help him as I do not have a Z6.

Thank you so much Kenneth! 
That's all I want.
I don't care people think I'm old fashioned.
Having to press buttons to check focus does not seem right to my kind of photography.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:35 »

You can’t make the green dot appear. Viewfinder zoom and focus peaking are the alternative.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 13:20:30 »
I consider focus peaking as the easiest way to MF. As far as I know, once set, it does not require to press any button. I find it easier to MF on my Fuji X-T1 with focus peaking than with the Minolta X-700 film camera I used 35 years ago...
Try it, you might like it.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 14:04:31 »
The green dot only gives focus confirmation on one point, the (magnified) eye can balance the scene and arrive at an optimal image.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 21:51:56 »
quote author=Jack Dahlgren link=topic=8338.msg135752#msg135752 date=15485515

Zooming in the viewfinder is what I use most of the time to get fine focus.
Assign zoom (I use 50% and 200%) the the F1 and F2 buttons and then use them to toggle in and out of zoom mode.

--------------------

I've been through the menus and owner's manual multiple times and I cannot any reference to zooming in the viewfinder and haven't a clue as to how this is done.
Help appreciated.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 22:10:28 »
Assign the zooming capacity to the F1 and F2 function buttons. For example, 50 (or 100)% on one of them, 200% on the other. It is clearly described in the manual.

Push the relevant function button to get the zoomed view, push it again to return to normal viewing. With a little practice this becomes an automatic repsonse.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 22:14:34 »
[quote author=Jack Dahlgren link=topic=8338.msg135752#msg135752 date=15485515

Zooming in the viewfinder is what I use most of the time to get fine focus.
Assign zoom (I use 50% and 200%) the the F1 and F2 buttons and then use them to toggle in and out of zoom mode.

I've been through the menus and owner's manual multiple times and I cannot any reference to zooming in the viewfinder and haven't a clue as to how this is done.
Help appreciated.

See pg 24 of the user's manual to see how to customize Fn1 and Fn2 buttons.
It's ok but I still miss the white focus confirmation dot (used to be green) for my manual lenses.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 23:29:30 »
See pg 24 of the user's manual to see how to customize Fn1 and Fn2 buttons.
It's ok but I still miss the white focus confirmation dot (used to be green) for my manual lenses.

Thank you.