Author Topic: Capture-One v. 12 is now available!  (Read 5729 times)

Nikkor Shooter

• This is not my language… just trying to use it!
  • NG Member
  • I shoot what I like… to like what I shoot! :)
Light is free… capturing it is not!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Capture-One v. 12 is now available!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 16:56:49 »
I'll be looking at it for 30 days.  The new luminosity masks are of interest. C-1 attracts more interest now that the demise of standalone Lightroom 6.14 on the MacOS is foretold.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 17:04:16 »
C-1 attracts more interest now that the demise of standalone Lightroom 6.14 on the MacOS is foretold.

Even well before that, Keith.

I just bought their PERPETUAL licence! :P

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 17:06:08 »
on their actual FB advertising you get a 10% discount code for new buyers and for upgrades
Thomas Stellwag

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 19:27:29 »
I'll be looking at it for 30 days.  The new luminosity masks are of interest. C-1 attracts more interest now that the demise of standalone Lightroom 6.14 on the MacOS is foretold.

I'm curious why you would move to Capture One instead of staying with Adobe LR/PS using the subscription?

If you buy Capture One 12 perpetual it will be $300 and next year at this time Capture One v13 will be released and they will not update v12 any longer, no more new camera support, then it is $149 to upgrade from what I read.  The Capture One subscription is more expensive than the Adobe LR/PS subscription.

That said I love Capture One and have been waiting for them to introduce luminosity masks as well, I use it for all my tethered shooting needs. I've read a lot of disappointing instances when using large catalogs in Capture One so Lightroom remains my cataloging software.

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 19:36:21 »
I'm curious…

A perpetual licence is the better way to go and
waaaaay cheaper than any other solution.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 20:15:42 »
It's not necessarily cheaper depending on how often you'd like to upgrade. Upgrading to v13 & v14 will end up costing $600 total for a perpetual license user, assuming they stop raising their prices every year, it used to be $100 to upgrade now it looks like its $150.

The subscription model is $180/year, so thats $360 to get to the v14 release, $540 to get to the v15 release.

With the perpetual you can skip v13 and upgrade from v12 to v14 for a total of $450 (again assuming prices don't change),  but if you skip both v13 & v14 you're back to paying full price at v15.

Of course the benefit of perpetual is you own the software, but if you buy a new camera you'll need to upgrade.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 00:01:12 »
I'm curious why you would move to Capture One instead of staying with Adobe LR/PS using the subscription?
Good question.  Haven't decided anything yet. 
FYI, I'm still using [zombie]Lightroom 6.14, the last one before it went all subscription.
A lot depends on when new camera(s) are acquired.
IMO, Lightroom has the best image adjusting features in one app.
I don't mind the amount that Adobe is charging(and C-1 is more $$$ if you upgrade every year) but I can't rationalize the software shutting off when Adobe thinks I haven't paid, or internet access is not available for it to phone home. C-1 or Photo Ninja don't shut off if you decide not to upgrade.
We'll see...
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 00:08:00 »

Another point to my appreciation of the cost factor is that I can
deduct 100% on the costs from my professional operations which
not everyone can do.

For you out there, ALL new mirrorless are recognised in v.12

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 00:30:07 »
FYI, I'm still using [zombie]Lightroom 6.14, the last one before it went all subscription.
I don't mind the amount that Adobe is charging(and C-1 is more $$$ if you upgrade every year) but I can't rationalize the software shutting off when Adobe thinks I haven't paid, or internet access is not available for it to phone home. C-1 or Photo Ninja don't shut off if you decide not to upgrade.
We'll see...

Keith, I don't know your situation, but, I've had the subscription version of LR since it was first offered, then Adobe added PS to it. During all of that time I've not had an issue, plus new camera bodies and lenses are added pretty rapidly. AFAIC, LR/PS/ACR have the best workflow for me. I have Adobe on automatic payments, just like this website, my car, and other things, no problems at all. 
Carl

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 09:34:18 »
We'll see...

I have the same experience as Carl and have never had issue with accessing Adobe software on the subscription model. In fact I believe they give 30/90 days of being offline before it becomes disabled, depending on which subscription you've chosen.

Ultimately I haven't found either CO or LR to give better or worse results as far as image output goes, but each certainly excels in different areas depending on how you're using the programs.

Another point to my appreciation of the cost factor is that I can
deduct 100% on the costs from my professional operations which
not everyone can do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

ianwatson

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 22:19:25 »
C-1 attracts more interest now that the demise of standalone Lightroom 6.14 on the MacOS is foretold.

Thanks for the warning. Is it the new Mojave version of the MacOS that will cause trouble or ones planned beyond that?

I read about Capture One when I found myself struggling to make adjustments to a specific area of a photograph in Lightroom. (For example, reducing the exposure of a bright window tends to leave a nasty outline; I can't select the window accurately enough.) The ability to refine masks seemed just what I need. However, migrating from Lightroom to Capture One does not seem trivial; I'd expect to lose edits and even keywords. I see now that Lightroom 8 can refine masks too and it has the benefits of familiarity and ease of upgrading.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the subscription model but it is nevertheless cheaper than keeping reasonably current with Capture One. Photoshop would even be included for "free."

Nikkor Shooter

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 22:45:49 »
Is it the new Mojave version of the MacOS that will cause trouble or ones planned beyond that?
Most colleagues are using C1 and are on Mac…
we don't share your worry!

I read about Capture One when I found myself struggling to make adjustments to a specific area of a photograph in Lightroom. (For example, reducing the exposure of a bright window tends to leave a nasty outline; I can't select the window accurately enough.) The ability to refine masks seemed just what I need. However, migrating from Lightroom to Capture One does not seem trivial; I'd expect to lose edits and even keywords. I see now that Lightroom 8 can refine masks too and it has the benefits of familiarity and ease of upgrading.
I don't know about migrating but you will be
pleased by the new Luma Range… a creation
of the C1 team! ;)

Finally, I'm not a fan of the subscription model but it is nevertheless cheaper than keeping reasonably current with Capture One. Photoshop would even be included for "free."
I use Affinity Photo as pixel editor… brilliant!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 23:13:40 »
Thanks for the warning. Is it the new Mojave version of the MacOS that will cause trouble or ones planned beyond that?

I'm not that familiar with the Capture One catalog system as I use sessions, but it does include tools to migrate your Lightroom catalog over to Capture One. All of your adjustments made to RAW images will be lost but I believe ratings & keywords will transfer over. The two programs have their differences of course in how they operate, LR works great with a simple folder hierarchy where as CO doesn't show images in subfolders like LR does but it has powerful filter/collection/keyword options.

As far as masking goes I think both programs are pretty equal now that CO has finally included Luminosity masks, LR has of course had color range & luminosity masks for some time now. Refining masks I'd give the upper hand to CO. Healing & cloning is more intuitive in LR, in CO you'll need a new layer for every new heal/clone you make. If you use the combination of Wacom tablets with CO on a Windows machine you may run into problems that haven't been sorted out for years. Ultimately neither program works as smooth as Photoshop for a lot of these types of tasks but it is nice to have them included.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 23:27:30 »

Ian, I am staying with High Sierra for the present, and so are many of my Mac colleagues. The problem is, the new Apple file system APFS, which you will get if you get Mojave. If you upgrade to Mojave there are many other issues that might very well make you regret the move until those issues have been sorted. Some software updates to deal with  Mojave have been released, I don't have a complete list, the link below was last updated November 1st. Look before you leap.

https://macstrategy.com/article.php?203

If I get the green light to upgrade to Mojave from my Mac resources I will post it here. In the meantime, I highly recommend waiting. Currently, there is no way to repair a disk formatted with APFS, and that includes Apple themselves not able to repair them. Hopefully, we will see a resolution soon.
Carl