Author Topic: Rig for reliable aerial still photography with Matric 600 Pro  (Read 1455 times)

senthilcumar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello All,

I'm a wildlife and nature photographer, but new to UAV. I tried a friend's Mavic Air recently while on a photo trip. I like the perspective from air and have been wondering about getting one myself.

I certainly would like atleast a full-frame DSLR or mirrorless in the air, and have read quite a bit in the past few days about the UAV, gimbal and intelli-G but still very confused.

My understanding is that the best option would be a Matrice 600 Pro with Ronin MX or Gremsy T3 gimbal. Closest I have seen to such a rig was shown by user @schwett on another thread.

I have a Nikon D850 and can use it with either 16-35 f/4 or 24-70 f/2.8 lens. I read somewhere that Nikon has issues with remote control of settings such as aperture, shutter speed and focus point. Is it still a problem? Total weight of camera + lens would be about 1.7 - 2 kg.

Another option (preferable) - Fuji GFX 50S mirrorless + 32-64mm f/4 lens. Can this be used with either of those gimbals? How would be control of the settings be? Total weight of camera + lens would be about 1.7 kg.

I'd be the only operator - of the craft and gimbal/camera. Can I achieve this with a single controller or would I need 2 separate controllers and have to go back and forth? For any meaningful photography I'd need live video feed.

I'd really appeciate if someone can let me know the potential setup or point to where I can find more info. @schwett please let me know thoughts as you are doing something similar.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers,
Senthil