Author Topic: D800 - v - D810?  (Read 16298 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
D800 - v - D810?
« on: November 25, 2018, 20:56:07 »
Now the Z's are starting to come on stream the hitherto 'top bodies' are slithering down the pile.

Yesterday I was offered a D800 which is absolutely immaculate, a studio camera, never seen mud or rain, probably not even sunshine!  For £600.  Seems like a bargain, shutter count ~155,000.  Comes from an impeccable source.

Having studied threads here and reviews aplenty, I was leaning towards a D810.  But will this do me, or at least provide an opportunity to familiarise myself with the D800 series, I am sure for the majority of my needs it will be sufficient but the astro side may be wanting, noise, resolution and sensitivity.

I want to do macro X2 to X5 focus stacking, slide and negative copying on my PB4 bellows slide copier.  The D3 won't mount on the PB4 without an extension tube, which prevents me getting focus with any lens I have.  I also want to use it for astro photography, longish stacked exposures, for which I believe the D810 would be better.

I would then mainly use the D3 for action photography like motor racing and sports where the lower resolution is perfectly adequate.  I tend to stay away from birding and long lenses.

Also, I have quite a few D200 batteries, will they work the D800?

By next year the D850 might even come within my reach...
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: D800 - v - D810?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 21:05:36 »
The D200 batteries will not work in the D8xx models. The EN-EL15(x) range works for D800 and Z6/7, plus D500 and a number of the newer Nikons.

For focus stacking I have used both D800 and D810. Not much difference between them for this purpose although the 810 files are a tad bit cleaner for lack of  better term. Used in general photography live view is significantly better in the D810 when you need to magnify the view. Otherwise again differences are not large.

I think picking the model  according to price asked, not solely by features, would be a sensible approach.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 21:16:06 »
Thank you Birna, your input is greatly appreciated.  :D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 21:49:32 »
The D800 mounts fine on the PB-4.
I use this setup. The D800 in DX mode is ok for sports if the grip is used with AA batteries.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 22:17:21 »
The D800 mounts fine on the PB-4.

Thanks for that confirmation Bent.

I use this setup. The D800 in DX mode is ok for sports if the grip is used with AA batteries.

While the D3 is as spritely as it is, it balances well with my 300 f2.8 AI, the lower pixel count will be more forgiving of my manual focus!  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 23:11:58 »
shutter count is very high..  I recently (past 6 months) bought three D800's for $800 USD with shutter counts less than 30,000... one had 12,000 actuations. that said I find that the D810 renders somewhat more pleasing than the D800 (subjective clearly).. for focus stacking you may also prefer the electronic front curtain shutter of the D810.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 23:23:06 »
Thanks for the input Bob,  will take that into account.  Was that $800 each or for all three?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 23:38:35 »
I had D800 and upgraded to D810 when they were introduced. The 810, imo, had enough improvements to be worth it. I don’t treat my gear poorly by any stretch but both models had to be sent in for repairs! First time this had ever happened to me with a Nikon body and I started with an FG 20 (?, not really sure of the model as it was stolen within two months of purchasing and was replaced with an FM2).
The 810 is a wonderful body but I usually just use it on a tripod now. I find the Df more than adequate for anything else.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 23:43:06 »
Thanks for the input Bob,  will take that into account.  Was that $800 each or for all three?

each (price aprox near $800).. you need to look.  I wouldn't spend more than $900 and I would try for something of a low shutter count.. certainly under 50k actuations. i had a D800E that I used for high volume focus stacking and broke it at 212k shutter actuations. the D800's I have are all converted (one to monochrome sensor and the others to IR). so for focus stacking which I haven't done for awhile I would use my D850 but I wouldn't hesitate to use the D810. so that is why I am recommended investing in a D810. which should also be reasonable priced with low shutter albeit higher price than the D800's.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 00:34:20 »
D800 shutter life is rated for 200k actuation's if memory serves. Mine failed at 97k which perhaps was a bit of an anomaly. $300 for the repair which seemed reasonable.

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 02:17:18 »
While the D810 in several aspects definitely is a more refined camera then the D800, I skipped it when it was introduced and got a 2nd hand 120K clicks instead as a back up body
Main reason I stuck with the D800 is the better low light AF, for me a major issue since I regularly shoot catwalk (= moving subjects) and events under less then ideal ideal light
Difference in IQ and high ISO IQ were too incremental for my taste to tip the balance

Had a D3 I got it shortly after its introduction in 2008 to replace the D2X I used for shooting catwalk and sports (surf), was smitten with its much better IQ and high ISO
Much to my regret basically stopped using it after I got my first D800 in 2012

Found the D800's AF and high ISO on par with the D3, even if the AF was not as snappy, but since I by that  time no longer was shooting sports/surf, that wasn't an issue
Welcomed the extra pixels, more room for cropping afterwards when it had not been possible to take the ideal composition first time round,  only too often inevitable when shooting action or catwalk

Based on my own experience and considering the 'age' of the D800 in general, I think 600 Pounds is a bit steep for a body with 155K clicks, even if apart from the number of clicks it has been handled with care

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 15:48:28 »
I had the d800 from new at £2300 and it was the most disappointing camera I ever bought ..Noisy shutter . It lived all its life with a Samyang  14mm photographing church interiors and first dances.  I bought two D810 grey at £1400  and that is 100% better ..quiet and much sharper by 25% if you study DXO .. Now have D850 and its back to clunky shutter  but I am photographing the birds with feathers rather than those in the white dresses.

Go  for the 810 and low count
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 20:43:50 »
low count D810 is a very sensible idea. Currently we see the prices fall like leaves from trees

I checked used prices and new prices. Lowest used was 1010€, lowest new was 1419€ ... compared to that most used prices seem quite ambitious
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 06:23:24 »
Thank you all for a good discussion. It all helps to focus my thoughts and resolve a solution.

Since I got my D3 and realised it has it's limitations especially for repeated night time exposures.  I get progressively worse banding using the intervalometer after the first few exposures. I have been trying to plan a solution.  The realisation that repeated long exposures lead to noise and banding has now sunk in.  With this realisation come a search for a solution.  The D3 was the first of a new generation, FX sensor and new standards of high ISO usable range.  Things have moved on, I can't afford new kit but have to capitalise on perfectly usable kit becoming affordable.

My enthusiasm for photography is  somewhat dependant on getting reasonable results, yet I constantly want to push the boundaries.  Achieve new things and to a reasonable standard, the best I can.

To some degree I take a pride in using 'old' gear and getting nice results, I started with a D1 which everybody told me was way too low a resolution but I got some nice photographs with it. Then D200, wonderful camera, but I was never comfortable with  a DX, I viewed it as a temporary expedient until Nikon worked out how to make a full frame sensor.

With the D850 I think Nikon have recognised they have indeed figured out how to make a good full frame  sensor, so they have turned to the next challenge, Mirrorless.  Thats good for me because, as Frank points out the cost of excellent cameras is plummeting.

Since I realised the D3 isn't the perfect solution for astro photography, I have been saving up for something to step up my game.  I have got some nice astro pictures with the D3 but I now realise I can do much better.

As a result of this thread I have been offered a really nice very low shutter count D800, at a good price.  The spirit of this forum is amazing, I am really grateful for the help and  encouragement I receive and the spirit of helpfulness which pervades this place.   I want to see how I get on with the D800, it might be joined by a D810 next year. The D800 could be tied up on time lapse duty or focus stacking for extended periods. So a second high res body would be good, as will some larger SSD's!

Sorry if I have been rambling...
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 06:31:08 »
One last thing...

I have quite a number of slides and negatives I want to copy to digital with the D800, none are perfectly flat.  Would this be an appropriate task for focus stacking?

If it is, using my PB4 bellows, do I move the camera, the camera/lens assy, or the negative?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK