Author Topic: Out and about with the 24-70/4S and the Z6  (Read 2286 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Out and about with the 24-70/4S and the Z6
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:21:40 »
Just a few snaps while out and about in the German Village area of Columbus, OH

Camera and lens both did well in the 21-34F temperatures.
I messed up and wanted to shoot RAW+JPG and only set the camera to RAW.  I use Lightroom and it is not yet Z6 ready, so had to use the Nikon software, of which I am not a fan...but you make do with what you have.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Out and about with the 24-70/4S and the Z6
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:57:02 »
Andrew, I would say that you have "made do" rather well.

Once you get more time in on using the Z6, I will be interested to hear how you relate to Nikon's new mirrorless ILC cameras in comparision to the Olympus OMD mirrorless cameras that you have been using for quite some time now.  (And TIA.)

...but you make do with what you have.

Hugh Gunn

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:09:37 »
Andrew, I would say that you have "made do" rather well.

Once you get more time in on using the Z6, I will be interested to hear how you relate to Nikon's new mirrorless ILC cameras in comparision to the Olympus OMD mirrorless cameras that you have been using for quite some time now.  (And TIA.)

Had another day out with the Z6 and the 24-70/4S.    I'm 99% positive that the 24-70/2.8G f-mount lens can go away, as can the D750.  For what I use it for, the Z6 can handle it.  I have a couple more tests I want to run the Z6 through before I get over that 1% hurdle.

Now, compared to the likes of the OMD EM1.1 or EM1.2:
The EM1.1 and 1.2 have a lot more "extras" like ProCapture(similar to the "precapture features on the Nikon 1 series) and what not.  The Z6 is a lot more lean in that department.  Where I had major issues with the EM1.1 and EM1.2 were the C-AF functionality.   For some ungodly reason, Olympus decided that they would give you group area AF options much like Nikon's group or D9/D25....well sort of.   The options description in the Olympus manual would lead you to believe that the C-AF would function that way.  In truth, what it does it give you a larger cluster of AF points, but it does not allow you to control which AF point in the cluster is the main AF point and then use the other AF points in the cluster to support that.  Oh, no...Olympus decided that the cluster would automagically pick which one it thought was what you wanted.   For sports, it would often focus on the feet or in cases of hockey or lacrosse it would focus on the stick.  If you are shooting at f/8, not such a big deal.  It becomes a big deal when you need to shoot at f/2.8 because of the poor lighting conditions.

The EVF on the Olympus EM1.2 is very good, but the Nikon is even better.  Bigger, less lag and smearing.

Size wise, they are very close, and I'd say the feel is a wash between the 2.

Olympus put the power switch on their OMD cameras on the left, while Nikon still has it around the shutter button, which I much prefer.

I don't think I need to mention either that the larger sensor on the Nikon just gives you that much more headroom for post processing.  Usually not that big a deal, but when you need that extra dynamic range or you want to push the shadows...no contest, Nikon.

I'm honestly very, very impressed that Nikon got this much right in the first attempt.  If better is the trajectory for the next Z camera, and I have no reason to believe otherwise at this point...Nikon is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the mirrorless market.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 04:27:23 »
Many thanks Andrew. 

(And I agree about the quirks of the Olympus AF. A pity really - its like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.)
Hugh Gunn

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 23:23:25 »
Nice series and review Andrew, thanks for sharing it

About the same size as the omd2?, interesting

I'm curious about the image of the girl with the phone,
how did you focus, let the camera select the af point, moved the focus point manually, used the view finder or the rear screen ?

The Z6 looks like a street shooting dream come true
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 02:46:56 »
Nice series and review Andrew, thanks for sharing it

About the same size as the omd2?, interesting

I'm curious about the image of the girl with the phone,
how did you focus, let the camera select the af point, moved the focus point manually, used the view finder or the rear screen ?

The Z6 looks like a street shooting dream come true

If you mean the first image from the second series, that is my wife.  :D

I held the camera in my left hand with the LCD pointing straight up and used the touch screen to actuate the shutter.
Andrew

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 03:25:15 »
A very good looking lady, congrats

I was interested because it would be a tricky situation for an automatic focusing system without human help
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:08:29 »
A very good looking lady, congrats

I was interested because it would be a tricky situation for an automatic focusing system without human help

I've played some a bit with the face recognition system and it works ok... I'd rather pick the AF point myself.

And thanks, she loves hearing that.  :)
Andrew

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:02 »
Andrew, a very nice selection  :) .   I would be using the Z6 primarily for Street, walkabout, some events and travel .   I have found workarounds with the Pen F and Sony a7iii for getting a shot off close to instantly but hard on battery life  :( .   It would be tough to sell my Df but the Olympus EM1's have not held their resale value that well and we still use them for daylight family outings.  My wife nd son are now using the Sony a7rii and a7iii much of the time.   
I use the touchscreen shutter activation on the Pen F much of the time for Street.   Getting too old to get down low when I would like, it is the getting back up that is the problem  ;)
Cheers,
Tom

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 21:18:30 »
Andrew, a very nice selection  :) .   I would be using the Z6 primarily for Street, walkabout, some events and travel .   I have found workarounds with the Pen F and Sony a7iii for getting a shot off close to instantly but hard on battery life  :( .   It would be tough to sell my Df but the Olympus EM1's have not held their resale value that well and we still use them for daylight family outings.  My wife nd son are now using the Sony a7rii and a7iii much of the time.   
I use the touchscreen shutter activation on the Pen F much of the time for Street.   Getting too old to get down low when I would like, it is the getting back up that is the problem  ;)
Cheers,
Tom

I still really like the PEN-F and do not see it going anywhere.   I'm with you on the old thing....my knees are about 20 years older than me...but that is the price we pay for putting our bodies through some of the things we do.
Andrew

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 21:46:19 »
I don't want to keep slamming images into this thread, so for anyone that wants to see more images as I add them, here is a link to my Flickr albums.

Nikon Z6
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gryphon1911/albums/72157697993454150

Nikon 24-70/4S Z-Mount
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gryphon1911/albums/72157702372383491

Images Taken with a Z camera, but with adapted lenses (f-mount or otherwise)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gryphon1911/albums/72157673930128977
Andrew

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 22:39:49 »
Thanks for sharing your first impressions Andrew. Very nice photos to depict the abilities of the new system.
Daniel Diggelmann